Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo mic bar  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Stereo mic bar
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »
Hi,
What do you guys use for mounting your mics? I'm looking for something that swivels and could be mounted in the windtech c clamp, any suggestions?

Thanks
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline jkm78

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Stereo mic bar
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
akg 235/1 stereo bar

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:29 AM »
I use the Grace SpaceBar (also available with 3/8" standard threads)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
this thing is inexpensive, lightweight (aluminum), and can handle large microphones. works like a charm with the windtech.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/K-M-Microphone-Bar-Dual-Mic-Holder-107083222-i1322950.gc

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZO3LU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=613240924-20

I just got one of these for $10 on Amazon, but haven't had a chance to use it in the field just yet.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

cashandkerouac

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »
the Grace bars are totally awesome, but very expensive.

here are a couple of basic (but good) bars, $23.99 each...

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/286558.html (this one is the 5/8" version)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/534725-REG/K_M_23510_500_55_23510_Microphone_Bar.html (i'm pretty sure this is the 3/8" version)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
do an eBay search under "mic bar" and you will have plenty to choose from at various prices.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

They are also extremely difficult to work with in the field. I have only used mine in situations where I have ample time, space, and (most importantly) lighting to make use of the angle and separation markers. It also helps to bring a tape measure if you are running new mics and/or don't have a cheat sheet to know exactly where you need to be at for each config.

I would recommend the simple K&M 1000x over before even suggesting someone pickup a spacebar for concert recording.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:23:56 PM by hi and lo »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »

here are a couple of basic (but good) bars, $23.99 each...

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/286558.html (this one is the 5/8" version)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/534725-REG/K_M_23510_500_55_23510_Microphone_Bar.html (i'm pretty sure this is the 3/8" version)

It depends on what you want - and the amount of money you have invested in your kit.

I have used the K&M bars since I started recording back in the 1970s.

But the Grace SpaceBar is well worth the money and I can accurately set up an ORTF pair in less than 30 seconds.

With the K&M bar I need protractor and tape measure and it takes time - every time - to set up accurately.

The very high quality engineering of the SpaceBar and fast and accurate set-up are well worth the money it costs.

But most of my microphones are over £1,000 each and I have good professional recorders.

If you are using cheaper microphones and recorders I can well understand that a SpaceBar is expensive and I would agree that it is far better to put the cash into better microphones and a cheaper bar than to get a SpaceBar.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »
It depends on what you want - and the amount of money you have invested in your kit.

And largely what/where you're actually recording.  You can have U89 > 788 but if you're recording a mediocre PA system in a mediocre room, millimeter accurate measurements on spacing and angles is not going to matter all that much.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 04:22:39 AM »

And largely what/where you're actually recording.  You can have U89 > 788 but if you're recording a mediocre PA system in a mediocre room, millimeter accurate measurements on spacing and angles is not going to matter all that much.

Yes - but what's the point in recording "a mediocre PA system in a mediocre room", I would not even bother recording something that was not worth recording in the first place.

If it's worth recording at all, it's worth recording to the best of your ability.

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
Can't say I'm enamoured of the angle measurement facility built into some of the more pretentious mic bars. The angle markings are etched onto such tiny, fiddly circular dials that - unless they have machined, detente click settings - a slight setting error is easily made and can pass unnoticed until the distances are extrapolated. (A weak analogy:  no builder would use a 2" long spirit level.).

For most purposes, my go-to is just a clear-plastic, obtuse-angled triangular plate. By marking cm. or inch values along the long edge, plus a few key angle lines - 90°, 110° etc., it's easy to align the mic bodies properly by looking through the plate.  And it's also handy for estimating orchestra angles etc.

Ach, but there again, nobody died from listening to a 113° ORTF recording recording.    :-)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:33:16 PM by Tom McCreadie »

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:24 AM »

Yes - but what's the point in recording "a mediocre PA system in a mediocre room", I would not even bother recording something that was not worth recording in the first place.

If it's worth recording at all, it's worth recording to the best of your ability.

The point is to record the band.  The problem many of us have is that the bands that are worth recording often play in rooms and with PA systems that leave much to be desired in terms of live sound.  It would be a shame if people stopped bothering to record great bands in dingy bars and big boxy cement halls, just because the acoustics lacked professional design.   

If all our favorite touring bands could play in orchestra halls or prestigious jazz clubs I think I would be very happy, but that is just not the case.

Also, its just a hobby for the vast majority of us.  I know its much more professional for you, so necessarily deserves more scrutiny.   As amateurs we luckily get to choose what level of professionalism to put into it.  So, while I do agree with your last point to a degree, personally as a hobby, I agree with Tom's more:

Ach, but there again, nobody died from listening to a 113° ORTF recording recording.    :-)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
As far as recording crappy PA systems in crappy rooms goes, I feel like those recordings are fulfilling more of a documentary function. I rarely choose to listen those recordings unless there is a specific reason to, like to confirm a set list or something like that.

We are lucky that a lot of the bands that allow recording also have dedicated FOH engineers. Some of them can do a great job night after night making he PA system and music coming from it worth recording.

Some bands, I record, just because they allow me to record them and I like their live shows.
Sometimes it's nearly the same set list every time you see them, but the interaction with the crowd makes it different each time.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »

But the Grace SpaceBar is well worth the money and I can accurately set up an ORTF pair in less than 30 seconds.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but my experience with the spacebar is far different. While it does provide accuracy, it is never a simple 30 second setup.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 06:23:13 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse here, but my experience with the spacebar is far different. While it does provide accuracy, it is never a simple 30 second setup.

Ignoring running the cables - I have certainly mounted the mics. accurately on a SpaceBar in about 30-seconds.

I once arrived too close to start time and I managed to do the complete set-up and start recording in about one minute total using the SpaceBar.  That's a pair of microphones accurately set to ORTF in the SpaceBar on a floor stand and two cables plugged into a Nagra VI and recording.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

Ignoring running the cables - I have certainly mounted the mics. accurately on a SpaceBar in about 30-seconds.

I once arrived too close to start time and I managed to do the complete set-up and start recording in about one minute total using the SpaceBar.  That's a pair of microphones accurately set to ORTF in the SpaceBar on a floor stand and two cables plugged into a Nagra VI and recording.

Just another reason why I LOVE active microphone systems and active mounting setups ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com