Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Something similar to Schoeps MK4V without having to go to the darkside?  (Read 13007 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
I've always loved the MK4V tapes I've heard & wonder what else is out there with a similar sound signature? It seems I tend to prefer that little boost they offer in the high end so without having to go back to the dark side & sell all my AKG gear what are my other choices??
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
"Similar" would be an illusion at best I'm afraid. 

One way :  >:D

There are some other mics with a bit of a bump up there but despite what the plots and charts and all that say those can't capture the tone. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Mk5's  ;D
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline carlbeck

You guys are KILLING me!  :facepalm:
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Some think the Milab VM44 sounds more like some Schoeps caps than other mics. I'm not sure if the Milabs are the links or the full-sized bodies but look around for shows with both sources and compare for yourself.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Some think the Milab VM44 sounds more like some Schoeps caps than other mics. I'm not sure if the Milabs are the links or the full-sized bodies but look around for shows with both sources and compare for yourself.

This is my best guess. The milab's are brighter than the front-ended mk caps, but they might compare to the V line. The Milab 44s come in both full bodies and links, and they are the same caps, just a different connection as I understand it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
I don't know how much km184's sound like schoeps, but they do have the hf lift, and in the mid or far field they are very good.

MBHO would be something to look at too with transformerless bodies.

Beyer mc930??

schoeps circuit modded oktava's?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:05:11 PM by weroflu »

Offline bombdiggity

Listen carefully to the Milab's if you consider them.  I don't like the high end and the overall tone becomes wearying (they sound overly bright rather than natural to me).  They may have been after a similar effect but IMO missed. 

A friend had them and we recorded a number of the same things at a fest (at the same distance but not quite the same placement).  There was a substantial difference in tone and listenability. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:15:52 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I was also thinking KM184 might be a possibly.  MBHO came to mind but I don't know that line and sound very well. Some MBHO recordings I have heard have the HF lift but seem less smooth up there to me, sort of like the diggity's take on the VM44, perhaps more so.  Sort of the same deal with AKGs sometimes to my ear.

The MC930 doesn't have that 'diffuse field curve' type HF lift and top-end extension to my ear, but might be more Schoeps-like at the bottom end than KM184.

There is a more pronounced yet smooth HF lift I like with the MG M94 cardioids I have (unless used too close when it's a bit much, although its smooth enough that I find it easily EQ-able), but the response shelves down a bit much at the bottom end.  I don't have other modern MG cardioids to compare (only their supercards which are flatter), but my impression is they are less HF-lifted than the M94 and perhaps more akin to MK4 than MK4V.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline carlbeck

The 184 suggestion is one I've thought of but haven't really heard. I priced out the Milab 's & surprised to see how much they go for on Full Compass, close to the cost of the 4V caps. I also liked the sennheiser 8050`s, with remote cables can I mount it in an active bar?

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
The 184 suggestion is one I've thought of but haven't really heard. I priced out the Milab 's & surprised to see how much they go for on Full Compass, close to the cost of the 4V caps. I also liked the sennheiser 8050`s, with remote cables can I mount it in an active bar?

Yeah, the Senns can be mounted if you get custom cables and don't use their XLR adaptors (may require a special bar). Otherwise it's jury-rigging something that uses the two clips it has.

The beyers do have the bottom end, but you'd have to EQ them up top. I like the coloration better, but you sacrifice some other things. Nice mics, but I don't think they are the answer to this question. The Milabs are closer to the AKGs which you already run.

The Nuemanns have a coloration that I find I either love, or hate, there isn't a middle ground and it's genre dependent.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline johnw

• My cd List
The Milabs might be close. Never heard the 8050s. Honestly the mk4V is pretty close to the ideal cap both in sound and physical layout IMHO. If you want one, then that's what you should get. Don't settle.

Regarding cost - the Milabs used would be cheaper. I think the 8050s would be hard to find used. Both are going to be more expensive new than a used pair of 4Vs.

Milab VM44-link pair is $2400 from Full Compass (maybe cheaper if you call)
Sennheiser 8050 + remote cables is $2440 from B&H

These days if you are patient, you can find a pair for around $1500. Add in another $400-500 for a pair of cables and PFAs and you've got the mic you want for less than the next best thing  >:D
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
I've always loved the MK4V tapes I've heard & wonder what else is out there with a similar sound signature? It seems I tend to prefer that little boost they offer in the high end so without having to go back to the dark side & sell all my AKG gear what are my other choices??

Milab VM-44 Links are much less expensive and have an accentuated high end and good clarity. They sound more like MK41 than 4V, but that's as close as you will get.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
If I wanted the MK4V sound, then I'd go with MK4V or I wouldn't be happy because I'd always be comping my new gear against my 'standard'.  I did that for years and once I finally went to the dark side, it ended my mic upgrade itch.

To my way of thinking, if other mics satisfied you, then you'd probably already have keyed in on their sound as your 'standard' instead of the MK4V.

So I'd suggest applying a HF bump in post as an interim solution while you save for MK4V capsules.  Added bonus...it's free.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com