Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens. Go big or go small?  (Read 15208 times)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Windscreens. Go big or go small?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
Additionally, I would want to know if Movo's Super Softie clone is based on the earlier "defective" Rycote model or the updated/fixed version?

I have the Movo Super Softie clones. How do I check?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »
^  Looking at the videos DigiGal posted in the other thread (which I highly suggest watching), it appears that Rycote changed the shape of the Super Softie a bit when they updated it.  That said, I'd think the only real way to know whether or not the Movo clone is effective is to get it out in the field on a windy day and see what your recordings sound like. 

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
I've only ever tried blowing some wind onto them (totally unscientific test). Unsurprisingly, they worked considerably better that the Schoeps B5 screens, but I was able to make the wind audible when blowing stronger. However, as I don't have any reference screens (e.g. Rycore Classic Softies), this test is probably worthless.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
I picked up a couple pair of the MOVO fur and no/fur screens for use on my 4021s.  I have the big DPA screens w/rats but these could work as tweeners.  My BAS don't play nice w/the 4021s.

What size Movo's did you get in the furred and non-furred screens for your 4021's?  Do you have them in hand yet?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 07:40:25 AM »
Another vote for thw WS80's....
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
The ones they were talking about in the thread... The WST50 is the Ballistic one and the WS80 is the fur.  I like the coupling mechanism and the fur seems more uniformly groomed than the rats I made.  I'm hoping that with the mesh under-structure that they'll perform just as well as the DPA w/rats.  We'll see.  The ballistic ones I picked up just to see  how much they'd take. That and they'll work on other bodies I have.

Thanks.  I've been looking at both of the Movo's discussed and ordered a 6cm pair of the WS80's.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »
The ones they were talking about in the thread... The WST50 is the Ballistic one and the WS80 is the fur.  I like the coupling mechanism and the fur seems more uniformly groomed than the rats I made.  I'm hoping that with the mesh under-structure that they'll perform just as well as the DPA w/rats.  We'll see.  The ballistic ones I picked up just to see  how much they'd take. That and they'll work on other bodies I have.

Very curious to hear your impressions of the two styles of Movo's, especially the ballistic ones.

For those with short mics and especially actives I think the 3cm version of these is definitely the way to go, based on the Rode WS8 that I use with my CM3s and X-Qs, which are the perfect length - they cover the capsule and back vents easily, but are short enough that they fit properly when the mics are mounted in their shocks.

The WS8 states that it supports mics of up to 27mm capsule depth.  The 3cm version of the the "furry" Movo (WS50) says it is for mics up to 3cm long.  For reference, the CM3 is 77mm long and the X-Q is 51mm.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »
Neverwet worked superbly at Wanee, keeping it from raining pretty much the entire fest!  I did put an umbrella up the first couple days when the skies looked threatening and there was heavy rain potential.  But I didn't worry not putting one up at all on Saturday when the day started iffy-grey but cleared up nicely.  So not much of a rain test, but on brief headphone listening and listening in-car for the 6hr drive home yesterday, I heard no additional high frequency cut over the normal amount from the big foam screens. 

I'll listen more closely at home over the next few days.. and also listen for wind-noise as it was quite gusty  Friday and Saturday, significantly rocking most other mic stands around.

Besides the windscreens I also sprayed my hiking boots and a felt hat.  Again, no real water test of note for these things, but the boots stayed much cleaner than they normally do.  Having applied it about a week ago and undergone the rigors of a weekend festival, I may splash some water on all these things now that I'm back home to check how well it works at this point.

When I picked up the NeverWet outdoor fabric spray for the windscreens at Lowes, I also picked up the version intended  for glass only.  That stuff did a great job on the glass, headlights and front chrome of the car during the trip up and back.  I encountered very, very, very, heavy rain on the drive up, basically driving directly through the "big purple blob" and really didn't even need to use the wipers.  Also a few clouds of bugs.  The bugs would still stick to the windscreen, but a few moments of wipers plus a few sprays of water from the windshield sprayer removed them mostly.

Once there, the parked car windows stayed clean and clear all weekend instead of becoming completely coated in yellow pollen from the live oak tree canopy under which we were camping.  Seemed to work significantly better than Rain-X initially, but not yet sure how long the treatment will last before it needs reapplying.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »
^ Thanks for the follow up on the Neverwet, GB.  What windscreens did you use that stuff on?  Big-Ass Shures, Softies, etc?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
Only on foam windscreens so far-

2 Big-Ass Shures
2 triple layered nested screens (hair curler foam nested inside Audix foam nested inside ball-mic foam)
2 small omni foams

I'll be listening to determine how well the triple layer nested foams damped the windnoise compared to the BAS.  I used DPA 4098 hypers in both, but the BAS's also covered Naiant X-8S fig-8s.  The triple nested screens are not as large as the BAS.  If they don't do the job well enough in terms of wind-noise-damping, I'll pair back to one or two layers of foam and substitute a fur outer-layer, with the fur treated with NeverWet.

In the rain I'd still not trust my Gefells or other valuable mics susceptible to moisture damage to the NeverWet treated screens alone without an umbrella, but it should serve as a good measure of extra protection for valuable mics in that roll.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
2 triple layered nested screens (hair curler foam nested inside Audix foam nested inside ball-mic foam)

We need another windscreen nickname to go with the Big Ass Shures.  I propose we call your triple-layer foam setup Turduckens.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 06:30:42 PM »
We need another windscreen nickname to go with the Big Ass Shures.  I propose we call your triple-layer foam setup Turduckens.

Ha ha.  Cooking up crispy yet warm recordings to satisfy your appetite that you can sink your teeth into.  Mmmm.

If used over Nevatons, perhaps calling them "Russian doll screens" would be most appropriate.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
^^^^^
Lee thanks for the NeverWet followup report! 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »
Since it wasn't much of a real-world of the Neverwet last weekend, I splashed some water on one of the big Shures when I unpacked the rig and put it away.   Most of it just ran off or remained beaded on the surface of the foam, some heavy drops which impacted more heavily on the top surface "sunk in" a bit more instead of beading fully, but did not spread out or soak in deeply.  The texture of the foam surface sort of retains some of the droplets in place as long as the surface is horizontal enough to hold them, even though they are highly beaded.  I left the windscreen sitting like that overnight.  The droplets remained beaded on the upper surface for ~4 hours until I went to bed, and had fully evaporated by morning with no detectable trace of moisture in the foam.

If trying to completely avoid use of an umbrella in rain, it would work best if the windscreen itself was sharply peaked on top like a snow roof so the water would run off more easily without some of the beaded droplets sitting there or pounding into the upper surface of the windscreen.  A less textured surface material on the windscreen might do the trick as well, such as treating the fabric outer layer of the Super Softies or a similar fabric covered screen.

I'll do a more thorough test maybe this weekend, placing the BAS under a more sustained rain simulation until the screen is more saturated on the upper surface, to determine how well Neverwet reduces moisture movement within the foam.  Even with the outer upper surface saturated, I'm thinking it may slow or prevent moisture from migrating easily through the foam itself, and making its way to the core of the windscreen where the mic lives.

In any case, it seems well suited for keeping the windscreens moisture free in humid, foggy, or light misty conditions at the very least.  I'm happy with the $14 expenditure for those aspects alone.  It's the mechanical force of rain pounding the screen which probably still calls for an umbrella.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 03:13:27 AM »
If trying to completely avoid use of an umbrella in rain, it would work best if the windscreen itself was sharply peaked on top like a snow roof so the water would run off more easily without some of the beaded droplets sitting there or pounding into the upper surface of the windscreen.  A less textured surface material on the windscreen might do the trick as well, such as treating the fabric outer layer of the Super Softies or a similar fabric covered screen.

You could use 10-PPI / coarse PUR material from your local hardware store. That's the same sort of material that some commercial products like the Rycote "Duck" or the Reinhardt "Rain Hat" are made of. It's cheap, sonically transparent and will disperse raindrops

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=173173.15.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com