Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain  (Read 13999 times)

Offline Chrysler

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 04:41:36 AM »
hi,

thanks for the replies!!!!

i run the mics in this configuration currently:

Source: DPA 4060's > MMA6000 p/s, bass roll-off @ 100 kHz (> SBM-1 line-mod) > Sony D100 (44.1 Khz)
Transfer: Sony D100 > RMR-D100 (Coax Cable) > Audiophile 2096 (digital in) > WAV (through wavelab)
(Playback via PC > Denon 3801 Receiver > MB Quart Speakers)

I go to the concerts to WATCH the Band / Singer / whatever so its not an option for me to stand in the very back in louder concerts because i can make a better recording with the 4060s there. For acoustic sets the DPAs are incredible - i love them. So basically i'd need other grids than that are avail from DPA for calming the basses or buy AT853s.

Another question - if i upgrade my D100 to a 24 bit recorder - does it make sense still using the modSBM-1 prior to the new recorder (since this outputs a 16 bit signal)?

DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 01:04:39 PM »

DPA makes a high boost grid, but nothing to attenuate the bass.

What technique are you utilizing for stereo isolation with the mics when you record?
I am a strong advocate of baffling the mics from each other. This can be with a foam baffle between them, or your own head. The baffle supplies the means of isolation. While not total isolation, it does provide for probably 3dB of attenuation from the same signal, depending on amplitude of signal, and location of the signal source. For instance, it you take a test tone, and pan it right to left / left to right, the mics would be  hearing that tone at different volume intensities due to the baffle. That signal intensity difference translates into incredibly precise imaging in playback. The baffling also helps in taming the bass, though probably not as effective at controlling overamped, loud, panned to center, monster bass (which really isn't a natural bass tone). In the case of slamming amplitude of unnatural bass, your choices might be better in going to a directional mic and stereo patterns that roll off the bass more severely than omni patterns.

If you haven't already done so, please search HRTF Headband (ts.com thread title), Jecklin Disc vs. Spaced Omni (ts.com title), and a yahoo/google search for Otptimum Stereo Signal / OSS technique / Jurg Jecklin.
These are the baffled omni techniques that have really born themselves out for me thru may years of omni recording, of which a large focus was on bass heavy genre like reggae and the dead.

Moke, what exactly will the hi boost grid do for us? (I'm running 4060's>mic2496>jb3 or computer via Audigy notebook pcmcia @ 2496, btw.)

I have to chime in a love poem on the 4060's but haven't used the others. I'm forever playing recordings of performances for my colleagues and they can't believe what I'm getting. Granted, I don't use my tapes the same way you guys do, but for my purposes (learning and auditioning) day da bomb!

Andrew

www.tenorrichards.com
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 03:15:15 PM »
yep. TAped by wife in 3 row dead center of hall. There are many other recording on the audio page, some old md stuff (carmen in italy) and most else w/ jb3/4060 combo. A few of the faust in Germany are w/ lappie @ 24 bit, and needless to say, I am losing SLEEP over getting the Trackerthangy. Sound Pros has them up now, except I'm moving to Berlin in a few weeks, so I don't know where to order: here or there...

www.tenorrichards.com/live.html

I'm not much at web design, and that's the first site I've ever built, so be nice guys...

+T to Moke for getting me into this stuff. And thanx for the info on the hi boost. I'll have to give them a try out in September when I return to perf'ing.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Ray76

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »
Andrew, howdy.

Nice site, and nice recordings of course.

Holler at me when you get back and I will hook you up, taping-wise.

Some beers are in order too.

+T

Teddy

Offline Chrysler

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2005, 02:25:10 PM »
are no better directional miniature mics than the AT853's available on the market ?????
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2005, 12:48:09 AM »
My head hurts from trying to read up on stealth mics.  Everyone seems to have a different opinion and I can't understand the slang.  I hate being the uninformed guy. 

Ray76

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2005, 06:57:08 AM »
are no better directional miniature mics than the AT853's available on the market ?????

I think most would say no. DPAs mini omnis are amazing, but as far as directional,,,AT is the heat...

I think the 4022s are small as well...not mini though.

you have schoeps as well...

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2005, 02:52:57 PM »
Well, I am wanting to get some stealth mics to tape Henry Rollins here on Sep 9th.  I will have around 300$ dollars to spend and I want to be able to record rock and metal bands with the mics as well (I have always wanted to tape Tool).  I am looking both the SP and CS mics but I keep reading about how great each one is on one post and how much they suck on the next.  From what I have read, I figure I need a battery box for the mics (preferably Phantom Power?).  I have a jb3 to record with, that is all the equiptment I own besides a camcorder.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »
The CSSC's sound very tinny, at least to my ears. Not sure about the SP's. The good thing about the AT's is the switchable caps. Card, Sub, Hyber, Omni. Then you can use what's best for the room your in.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 05:04:42 AM »
Any AT mic in particular?  I think I have seen like four different kinds mentioned.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2005, 05:45:30 AM »
Budget: SPCMC2 (AT831): cardioid caps only (not changeable)
Best sound: SPCMC4 (AT853): Card/hyper, sub-card caps available, no omnis
Flexibility: SPCMC8 (ES943s): card/omni/hyper (interchangeable caps)

Your choice, all sound great (to my ears). SPCMC4s can overload under high SPLs (with standard battery box, solution is to phantom power them), and I am testing the loaner pair of SPCMC6s (=CMC8s, but with Hyper caps) in a couple of weeks at high volume.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »
SPCMC4 (AT853): Card/hyper, sub-card caps available, no omnis

You should still be able to get the white omni's.  I just got some recently through Alpha Sound and they shipped directly from Audio Technica.
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Ray76

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2005, 09:39:59 AM »
im really curious about those countryman mics too..noones used em, but they are TINY, smaller than the DPA minis..

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »
SPCMC4 (AT853): Card/hyper, sub-card caps available, no omnis

You should still be able to get the white omni's.  I just got some recently through Alpha Sound and they shipped directly from Audio Technica.

Did the same as well. And there was some chat that the new Uni line caps should fit out AT853's.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:58:22 AM by The Kilted Taper »
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2005, 10:04:07 AM »

Oh are they? Cool. I just have a problem equating white caps with stealthing  ;D
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com