Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain  (Read 13990 times)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2005, 10:07:15 AM »

You should still be able to get the white omni's.  I just got some recently through Alpha Sound and they shipped directly from Audio Technica.

Oh are they? Cool. I just have a problem equating white caps with stealthing  ;D

Wear them in a black hat, and your good to go.  ;) You could always paint them. The elastic bands I have in my hat are actually whire as well.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2005, 10:34:38 AM »
Budget: SPCMC2 (AT831): cardioid caps only (not changeable)
Best sound: SPCMC4 (AT853): Card/hyper, sub-card caps available, no omnis
Flexibility: SPCMC8 (ES943s): card/omni/hyper (interchangeable caps)

Your choice, all sound great (to my ears). SPCMC4s can overload under high SPLs (with standard battery box, solution is to phantom power them), and I am testing the loaner pair of SPCMC6s (=CMC8s, but with Hyper caps) in a couple of weeks at high volume.

Get the factory-made AT853RX's.  Better sounding than the SP models, because they are phantom powered.  You can get them BFN for $280 shipped if you look hard enough on the 'net.  All you have to do is have someone here on the board mod the cable from 25' to 6'.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2005, 10:51:09 AM »
All you have to do is have someone here on the board mod the cable from 25' to 6'.

This is actually quite easy to do your self. No soldering or anything. The wires are just held in place my screws.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2005, 12:08:09 PM »
Get the factory-made AT853RX's.  Better sounding than the SP models, because they are phantom powered.  You can get them BFN for $280 shipped if you look hard enough on the 'net.  All you have to do is have someone here on the board mod the cable from 25' to 6'.

I just wanted to note here that you can get the phantom 'kit' option from SP.  I did that w/ my 943s so I have the option of phantom or not, depending on how much gear I want to carry.  However, costwise and apparently soundwise, the 853Rx is the way to go. If this talk that the new uniline's caps will work with the 853s they seem like the best overall option.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2005, 05:29:53 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help.  I will probably not buy them for a few weeks but I appreciate the suggestions.

Offline Chrysler

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2005, 01:57:56 AM »
As mentioned before by someone else DPA will be releasing directional miniature mics in about 1-2 month. I will be waiting for these..
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2005, 08:32:54 AM »
As mentioned before by someone else DPA will be releasing directional miniature mics in about 1-2 month. I will be waiting for these..

a new mini directional?

Yes.  I was the one who posted this, after emailing DPA.  They put out a headset cardioid last year with lots of bass roll-off to compensate for designed placement an inch or two from the mouth, absolutely not good for any distance recording.  I was told to email again in October, as they expected to be releasing the first of what might be several cardioid minimics with the 4060 form-factor, no word yet on whether the DPA MMA6000 will power them but I would expect some compatibility.  I'm very hopeful.  I also emailed Peluso, since Nick's review of their new mics mentioned a possible mini cardioid, no response at all from Peluso.

Jeff

Ray76

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2005, 07:41:49 PM »
thanks!
I knew of the headset card, and its incompatability for our usage. thats why I was wondering about something new.
That would be sweet if they were compatible with the mma6000!
+ to ya for the info.

MOKE AND CARDS!! ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com