Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to move to AKG C414B-XLS..  (Read 14812 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Looking to move to AKG C414B-XLS..
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »
Even with the teflon capsule though, the 414EB typically runs rings around the current crop of AKG 414's.  (sorry 414 XLS/ULS owners, but it *is* the generally accepted truth...)

Hey, no reason to apologize.  The brutal truth was understood when I made my purchase.   :)  The XLS's are for fun and experimentation with different configs/patterns. 

The 1k's are for when I need a real true cardioid.   >:D   I sure hope more tapers get lucky and find some.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »
Even with the teflon capsule though, the 414EB typically runs rings around the current crop of AKG 414's.  (sorry 414 XLS/ULS owners, but it *is* the generally accepted truth...)

Hey, no reason to apologize.  The brutal truth was understood when I made my purchase.   :)  The XLS's are for fun and experimentation with different configs/patterns. 

The 1k's are for when I need a real true cardioid.   >:D   I sure hope more tapers get lucky and find some.

LOL, you ever find an extra pair just let me know!  I've never even seen em up close and personal.

Kinda wish I hadn't unloaded my 700's earlier this year, but it couldn't be helped.

There isn't really a bad 414 though, they are all good.  Just varying levels of good.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline audBall

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 05:26:08 PM »

LOL, you ever find an extra pair just let me know!  I've never even seen em up close and personal.

Kinda wish I hadn't unloaded my 700's earlier this year, but it couldn't be helped.

There isn't really a bad 414 though, they are all good.  Just varying levels of good.

Dirk

I'll keep ya posted if I find some, Dirk  ;)    Believe it or not (and I'm sure some folks will hate me after I say this), I did a google search on them and within the first 2-3 pages, I found a pair for sale from a guy in switzerland who has a recording studio and they were his 'old gear that he didn't use anymore'.  I was a little weary of doing business with him b/c he didn't seem very computer literate.  He had no idea what ebay/paypal was.  Thank god, for my sake....got a killer deal on `em  :P

sorry for the hijack, folks. 

back to 414 talk

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »
Does any one run non matched sets?

My pair's unmatched.  Got mine from Spyder9, Dan, if memory serves.  He picked the mics up at different times from different vendors.  Never noticed any difference between the two, but haven't performed any comprehensive tests (and don't feel a need to do so).

That's correct Brian.  Your mics were made about a month a part from each other.  Amazingly, they are not far off from each other.  Real close from what I remember when I ran them.  I think in 2007, I will pick up another set of these.  They are sweet sounding! 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
I'd love to hear a shootout of the 414EB vs 414XLS.  It would be cool.   8) 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »
I'd love to hear a shootout of the 414EB vs 414XLS.  It would be cool.   8)

If anyone has a pair of EBs, I'm willing to work something out - either sending my mics, or using someone else's EBs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »
I'm still working on getting these. Anyone know anyone who wants so MBHO's 603 KA200 set so I can aguire these AKG's. Let me know. HO's $650 shipped. Goes to ebay tomorrow.
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 07:16:42 PM »
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 08:29:04 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a set. +T all around
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:03:12 PM by beanstalk »

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 09:16:20 PM »
what's a good size pelican case for a set?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 01:50:50 PM »
I actually had mine in a camera lens pouch.  The pouch was padded and both 414s w/ windscreens on, fit iinside nicely.  A pelican case can really eat space in your bag, because of the size of the LDs.  Just a suggestion.   ;)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C12&satitle=lens+pouch&sacat=107894%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=13208&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Offline audBall

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 02:02:39 PM »
I actually had mine in a camera lens pouch.  The pouch was padded and both 414s w/ windscreens on, fit iinside nicely.  A pelican case can really eat space in your bag, because of the size of the LDs.  Just a suggestion.   ;)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C12&satitle=lens+pouch&sacat=107894%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=13208&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

what he said.  I like the hard case they came in and I keep them stored in it when at home.  When I take them to shows, I put the screens/pouches on them and I make a little padded area in my rigbag where they can sit snug together and have padding on all sides.  This is the space where my pelican 1060 (w/ the naks) usually sits, but when taken out it fits the 414s perfectly.  It's probably not the most effective security measure for them, but the last thing I need is an extra bag/box to carry around. 

Nice going on snagging the 414s.  Did you get them separate or a pair?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:05:12 PM by AudBall »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
While the Pelican cases are nice, and they have a variety of sizes from which to choose, I rarely find precisely the size I want.  I forgot from whom I bought the ULS, but the sale included a tupperware container and foam for portable storage.  Closed, it's about 7.5" x 7.5" x 2.5".  The XLS are a little longer than the ULS, so the XLR stem goes to the edge of the case.  Still, it's quite well protected from drops, spills, kicks, etc.  Probably couldn't handle getting run over by a car a la the Pelican cases, but if my gear is ever subjected to something like that, the situation's probably one in which my mics represent the least of my worries (like me getting hit by a semi while on my motorcycle or some such).

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »

what he said.  I like the hard case they came in and I keep them stored in it when at home.  When I take them to shows, I put the screens/pouches on them and I make a little padded area in my rigbag where they can sit snug together and have padding on all sides.  This is the space where my pelican 1060 (w/ the naks) usually sits, but when taken out it fits the 414s perfectly.  It's probably not the most effective security measure for them, but the last thing I need is an extra bag/box to carry around. 

Nice going on snagging the 414s.  Did you get them separate or a pair?

I got 2 serparate. $699 a piece new. Missed a sale at $619 a piece new with free shipping fed x 2 day by like 10 mintues. So pissed about that. An the seller responed right away.
Still waiting on an email from the ebay seller (Audio-Online) which I hate since its going on 24 hours since I purchased them. I give them another day or so to respond.

The pelican case are big and expensive and I'm started getting a headache looking through there website. I like the bag and the tupperware. I going to need to see what kind of space my bag has when they come and go from there.

Do you think a swival mount will work with a shure vertical bar for vertical alignment or will I need a staight bar?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:00:46 PM by beanstalk »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com