Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to move to AKG C414B-XLS..  (Read 14840 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looking to move to AKG C414B-XLS..
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2006, 03:59:24 PM »
I going to need to see what kind of space my bag has when they come and go from there.

The biggest PITA I have is how to carry the shockmounts.  They take a lot of physical space, but don't fill the volume.  My old bag was easy - drop 'em in the netting pouches.  Unfortunately, the SoniCase doesn't have netting pouches.  At least not yet...time to mod the bag!

Do you think a swival mount will work with a shure vertical bar for vertical alignment or will I need a staight bar?

I'm not sure what you mean by swivel mount.  My first setup was using the Shure A27M (vert bar) on top of the stand, with one mic dropped down from the shockmount attached to the top of the A27M.  The lower thread on the A27M was not low enough, so I clamped the other mic to the stand, with the bottom mic facing upright.  Kinda like this.  But I found it was tough to get the mics in the same vertical plane because the Shure vert bar + shockmount held the mic further off the stand than the clamp + shockmount did.  Additionally, the mics positioned so far off the stand's center pole made my leightweight low-pro stand unstable.  I had the same problems running the mics horizontally, instead of vertically (more pics here similar to the setups I've tried).

So now I just use two clamps, which enables me to run the mics very close to the stand's center pole.  Stability = good.  :)  The downside is a lose some height this way.  But I rarely run much above 6'-7', anyway.  And if I needed to, I could simply clamp to the Shure bar to gain a little extra height.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 08:03:46 AM »
What I was talking about with the swival is like the pic below where my question came from. Isn't that vertical mount with a straight bar attached? Is the part that is circled attached to the stand? And if it is, could a swival mount work like the straight one?

Thanks again for all the help.
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 08:45:31 AM »
What I was talking about with the swival is like the pic below where my question came from. Isn't that vertical mount with a straight bar attached? Is the part that is circled attached to the stand? And if it is, could a swival mount work like the straight one?

that is only a shure a27m vert bar with a K+M 235 mounted on the bottom post. the vert bar is what is actually mounted to the stand.

to accomplish that, all you need to do is remove one of the mounting posts from the K+M and mount that end on the shure. Alternatively, get a modded a27. (wbrissette makes them)

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »

that is only a shure a27m vert bar with a K+M 235 mounted on the bottom post. the vert bar is what is actually mounted to the stand.

to accomplish that, all you need to do is remove one of the mounting posts from the K+M and mount that end on the shure. Alternatively, get a modded a27. (wbrissette makes them)
That's what I thought was going on. Thought the swival mount I have might work for that. But the 235 isn't more than $20 anyway.

How much those mods go for?

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
the mods are complete DIY-able as well with some threaded rod & pvc from depot
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

RebelRebel

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0148071
Fastenal Co.
Part # 0148071
1/4-28x7/8 COUPL Z

0152183 sku number on rod

threaded rod^^^^^

That's what I thought was going on. Thought the swival mount I have might work for that. But the 235 isn't more than $20 anyway.

How much those mods go for?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2006, 06:08:38 PM »
If you have a Sabra ST2 bar, you can purchase a piece of 3/8" rod (hexagon or round) and have a vertical setup in just a few seconds.  However, Skalinder's method seems to be even quicker.  I'm just too cheap to buy another clamp right now  :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2006, 09:42:58 PM »
I love my 414s.  Here's the custom bar I made to slip on over my bogen:

3/4" EMT, a few bolts welded on, and some flat black paint.  Most expensive thing was my time.  Whole thing slips into my Targa BP *AS IS* (with some foam strategically placed for protection/transport)

I paid $1500 for a "matched" Stereo Set so I am somewhat envious of the talk...but
IMHO they are the whip in the right situation regardless.

for your enjoyment:

SOURCE1: AKG C414B-XLS/ST; stage lip; center; 3' up; MS
SOURCE2: Oktava MK-012's; 15' outboard ("stacks"); 7' up; 8' back; OMNI's
LINEAGE: 4 Mic Matrix > MOTU Traveler > 1394 > Gateway MX6650 > AA2 24/44
POST: 5 Tracks (+1 invert for "r-side")>Mix>Normalize>Dither>Conversion to MP3 for singles

http://righteousdog.com/jcards/ktb20060408/ktb20060408_single.mp3

(I think it sounds great even tho missing their bass player tonight)

nothing better than a grrl that can throw down on acoustic?

(opener/1st song so still a little hot to start - but 414s on acoustic with a chic singer? COME-ON! It's RIGHTEOUS!!)

http://righteousdog.com/jcards/katiereider20060408/katiereider20060408_single.mp3

~peace out
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:44:35 PM by bluevolvo »
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »
I love my 414s.  Here's the custom bar I made to slip on over my bogen:

3/4" EMT, a few bolts welded on, and some flat black paint.  Most expensive thing was my time.  Whole thing slips into my Targa BP *AS IS* (with some foam strategically placed for protection/transport)

I paid $1500 for a "matched" Stereo Set so I am somewhat envious of the talk...but
IMHO they are the whip in the right situation regardless.

for your enjoyment:

SOURCE1: AKG C414B-XLS/ST; stage lip; center; 3' up; MS
SOURCE2: Oktava MK-012's; 15' outboard ("stacks"); 7' up; 8' back; OMNI's
LINEAGE: 4 Mic Matrix > MOTU Traveler > 1394 > Gateway MX6650 > AA2 24/44
POST: 5 Tracks (+1 invert for "r-side")>Mix>Normalize>Dither>Conversion to MP3 for singles

http://righteousdog.com/jcards/ktb20060408/ktb20060408_single.mp3

(I think it sounds great even tho missing their bass player tonight)

nothing better than a grrl that can throw down on acoustic?

(opener/1st song so still a little hot to start - but 414s on acoustic with a chic singer? COME-ON! It's RIGHTEOUS!!)

http://righteousdog.com/jcards/katiereider20060408/katiereider20060408_single.mp3

~peace out

+T..Very nice.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com