Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak cm300 active mod?  (Read 14953 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Nak cm300 active mod?
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:13:43 AM »
Is anyone still modding these? Prices, etc?

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
Re: Nak cm300 active mod?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:46:28 AM »
the problem is finding the samson pm4 adapters that are needed to run the actives, since they are discontinued.
the at8533 adapters do the job too, they are just double the price.  ::)

last time I checked with him, chris (busman2) was still performing this mod if you supplied all the parts needed.

Yeah, so I guess finding the adapters becomes a problem... nuts!

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »
There were some active Naks in the yard sale just last month. I don't know if they ever sold.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=63830.0

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 09:54:49 AM »
Just be persistent and they will come. Actually its not double the price anymore b/c the pm4 have been discontinued. AT makes several models, with the oldest style being the least expensive and AKG also make these phantom adapters but I don't know what their price point is compared with the others.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:55:59 AM »
There were some active Naks in the yard sale just last month. I don't know if they ever sold.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=63830.0

They're sold I think.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:30 AM »
Just be persistent and they will come. Actually its not double the price anymore b/c the pm4 have been discontinued. AT makes several models, with the oldest style being the least expensive and AKG also make these phantom adapters but I don't know what their price point is compared with the others.

Got any links to online retailers selling the 8533s?

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:58:17 AM »
bhphoto seems to have the PM4's but they say they have to be ordered in

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 10:04:11 AM »

You don't need a power module.  You can run Naks directly off a (9v) battery box.  I've done it myself.  In fact, I've got a set of (self made) Franken Naks I can sell/lend you if you wish.

That said, I think the Naks are overrated.  I've got better sound from a single point AT822, or even standard AT853s.  In particular, I found the Naks have a higher self noise (*) than the above AT mics, and the AT mics just sound "better", probably due to more modern design (thinner, gold plated diaphragm?).  Here are some samples comparing AT822 and Naks on same source with same (MD) recorder:
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AT822/2006-06-15-nak.mp3 (Naks)
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AT822/2006-06-15-at822.mp3 (AT822)

(*) Disclaimer, my Naks are heavily used.  But in general I wonder if all Nak mics might have deteriorated (eg., lost charge on electret element) over the (>20 years??) of age.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »
bhphoto seems to have the PM4's but they say they have to be ordered in
if you find a place that has them in stock, lmk, and I'll order us four.  you can just pay me via paypal or something.
shipping to me in ny will be cheaper than to you in canada.  then I'll just send yours to you.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=samson+pm4&btnG=Search+Froogle

I already "own" a pair of 300s and pm4 adapters but marc kim has them.  :banging head:

Brand-Electronics for $25.. not bad, doubt they're in stock though. That sound like a good plan though to order 4... save on shipping too. Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 10:05:53 AM »

You don't need a power module.  You can run Naks directly off a (9v) battery box.  I've done it myself.  In fact, I've got a set of (self made) Franken Naks I can sell/lend you if you wish.

That said, I think the Naks are overrated.  I've got better sound from a single point AT822, or even standard AT853s.  In particular, I found the Naks have a higher self noise (*) than the above AT mics, and the AT mics just sound "better", probably due to more modern design (thinner, gold plated diaphragm?).  Here are some samples comparing AT822 and Naks on same source with same (MD) recorder:

(*) Disclaimer, my Naks are heavily used.  But in general I wonder if all Nak mics might have deteriorated (eg., lost charge on electret element) over the (>20 years??) of age.

Richard

I want to run an all-in-one rig with my 660, so I need the phantom mod done to run with p48 from the 660... got any pics of your active naks richard?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 10:08:30 AM »

Richard

I want to run an all-in-one rig with my 660, so I need the phantom mod done to run with p48 from the 660... got any pics of your active naks richard?

I wouldn't worry too much about a battery box.  That is *really* small.  You can make one just a little bigger than a 9V battery.

If you're really stuck on an all-in-one box, the best setup is still AT853Rx IMO.  You can use those as stealth or open, and you can use all types of capsules (omni, subcard, card, hyper).  I wouldn't mess with the Naks.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:11:52 AM »

Richard

I wouldn't worry too much about a battery box.  That is *really* small.  You can make one just a little bigger than a 9V battery.

If you're really stuck on an all-in-one box, the best setup is still AT853Rx IMO.  You can use those as stealth or open, and you can use all types of capsules (omni, subcard, card, hyper).  I wouldn't mess with the Naks.

Richard

The reason i want an all in one is cuz I think the line in is disabled on the ACM 660...

I'd like to hear a side by side comparison of the AT853Rx vs. Franken-Naks .. if one even exists. I like recordings I've heard with both sets...

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »

Richard
the naks will have higher self noise when run with a 9 volt battery.  that's how they were designed originally.
running 9 volts of phantom into them makes them sound totally different.

Are you talking about *internal* 9V or external?

I am running with an *external* 9V source, in a 3-wire confirguration.  I'm running exactly the same as Leegeddy's circuit, just using a 3-wire battery box instead of a phantom adapter.  They power exactly the same as AT853, etc.  Either a 3-wire battery box or a phantom adapter...

Richard

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 10:23:59 AM »

Richard

Richard

The reason i want an all in one is cuz I think the line in is disabled on the ACM 660...

I'd like to hear a side by side comparison of the AT853Rx vs. Franken-Naks .. if one even exists. I like recordings I've heard with both sets...

I don't have any comparison between AT853Rx and Franken-Naks.  I only have AT822 vs Naks.  So my preference for the AT853 is just a guess.

My comment on evaluation of mics: You really do need a comparison.  If you listen to recordings in isolation, alll mics can sound great under good conditions.  (For example, Unitmonster has some smokin' recordings with AT853Rx (sc) into a Marantz 660.)  Other people have got great Nak recordings.  It is only after comparing the two side by side that one can decide what is better.

So, I've compared AT822 to Nak, but not AT853 (yet...).

Richard

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 10:26:03 AM »
Yah, that's a good point richard...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com