Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some good (stealth) mics  (Read 12956 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
Need some good (stealth) mics
« on: March 13, 2007, 12:45:32 AM »
...but I don't have all that much to spend :)

You guys are amazingly knowledgeable at this kind of stuff, as I'm sure I will be soon as well ;D

I was taking a look at these, but a good bunch have something against CS. I'm also thinking of maybe something from Chris but I'm not all to sure what to pick, to be truthful.

It's gotta be small mainly. I'm still getting the hang of stealthing (still trying to figure out how you get away with open taping, if someone can shed some light on that ;)) ...but yea, small, for stealthing :)

Gimme some suggestions guys! :D
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline loul69

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Need some good (stealth) mics
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:53:02 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Core-Sound-Binaural-Microphone-Set_W0QQitemZ130088266688QQihZ003QQcategoryZ29950QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
Look at this....this must be interesting but....if i were you, i won t buy these mics. Prefer the Audio technica caps from sound pro(CMC2 or 4 for example). It depends on your budget...
DPA 4061   -> mini-xlr -> Homemade bbox -> iriver ihp-120
SP-CMC-4u -> mini-xlr -> 3-wire preamp     -> iriver ihp-120

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 07:34:45 AM »

You guys are amazingly knowledgeable at this kind of stuff, as I'm sure I will be soon as well ;D

I was taking a look at these, but a good bunch have something against CS. I'm also thinking of maybe something from Chris but I'm not all to sure what to pick, to be truthful.

It's gotta be small mainly. I'm still getting the hang of stealthing (still trying to figure out how you get away with open taping, if someone can shed some light on that ;)) ...but yea, small, for stealthing :)

I've owned the both the Core Sound mics in the above ebay ad and the AT-853 based mics that are sold through Sound Professionals (SP-CMC4).  I currently own the 853s and they've been part of my arsenal for the past 5 years and they're going to stay because I just plain like them.  While the core sounds are nice and they do the job, I think that the AT-853 mics are are far nicer sounding and worth the extra money.  The bass from the 853s is so much more round and full and realistic sounding.  The overall sound is much more pleasing to the ear.  In fact, I believe that for around $200, the 853s just represent a wonderful value that pound-for-pound or dollar-for-dollar is hard to beat.  To me, the CSBs are great stealth mics and you can't understate the role Core Sound has played in bringing small stealthy sound to the masses, but the CSBs are too 'toy' sounding for my taste.  Tinny, cold and bass just doesn't come through.

The pricipal negative about the 853s is their propensity to overload at relatively lower sound pressure levels than comparable mics.  This is the subject of many discussions on this board and can be referenced by doing a search on TS.com...there are fixes available through mods to the mic, or through upgrading your initial purchase investment to Sound Pros. 

The bottom line though is that for most club shows, I have no problem pulling nice sounding shows (with no overloading) with the cheap 9V battery box that Sound Professionals sells (make sure to get it with bass roll off though) as the companion product.  The situations that pose a problem are the ear-bleed shows or a normal show when you stand too close to the stacks.

Having said this, I cannot address the Church products because I have not tried them.  I only can speak about the two products that I have tried and IMHO, I'd hands down spend $200 on the 853s before I'd spend $80 on the CSB.

BTW, either of these mics are imminently stealthable.  The CSBs are virtually invisible and even when detected, it's hard to believe that they are microphones.  The 853s are quite obviously mics when you look at them, but they are very stealth since they are only about 3/8 inch in diameter.  Incidently, while there's no data, I'm pretty sure in saying that the 853s are amongst the most popular stealth mics on this board, even amongst the experienced tapers, so that's saying something.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:39:55 AM by stevetoney »

MPB

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:49:06 AM »
Check out Giant Squid Audio

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/

Great value & quality IMO. I have the Powered Stereo Cards & Omnis.

Offline Keyser Soze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »
OT: cool pic of Colin.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »

I'm also thinking of maybe something from Chris but I'm not all to sure what to pick, to be truthful.

Chris builds a good product. I just picked up a pair of cards & the 9100 preamp.

Not a lot of selection from Chris. So it shouldn't be to hard. He sells 2 pre's. Cards & maybe Omni's? His lower end pre & Card's are like 169.00 not bad IMO. But I sprung for the better pre, Pretty sure the setup cost me Around $268.00

I'd stay away from core sound....sorry Len. Pick up something from Chris. Or some AT853's mics from sound professionals.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »
You guys are so helpful!

I'm looking over some stuff now, can anyone else vouch for Giant-Squids? :)

AT853's are pretty expensive it looks like...hmm..at ~$214/mic might be a bit harder to manage lol.. What are SP's equivalent? There's a bunch of mics there ;)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline kmm

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 09:06:23 PM »
the sp-cmc-4u is the sound pro's equivalent to the at853.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U

(edited to add link)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:09:44 PM by kmm »

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:19 AM »
ah cool, thanks :)

Yea, I couldn't find the at's on sound professionals
Team SoCal

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 12:47:11 AM »
My evolution that took about 6 months.......you will do the same.

Cores you have the link to>AKG ??>Neumann km140s
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 01:31:46 AM »
My evolution that took about 6 months.......you will do the same.

Cores you have the link to>AKG ??>Neumann km140s

hahaha!! yea, it's gonna be fun enough trying to convince my mom that 'Yes, in fact I do need yet another $200 or so in equipment before I can get a listenable recording'

Told her ~$150 today (looking @ Chris' pre+mics package at the moment). When she gasped at the price I reassured her by telling her the price of some of the other mics :p

Particularly, the ones you mentioned ;D
Team SoCal

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »
the Core Sounds sound, well, cheap and tinny, I'd strongly suggest something else and better, grab a couple of used single DPA 4061/4060 off ebay and never look back

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 04:16:54 PM »
Maybe I'm searching wrong, but I can't find them on ebay...?
Team SoCal

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »
the Core Sounds sound, well, cheap and tinny, I'd strongly suggest something else and better, grab a couple of used single DPA 4061/4060 off ebay and never look back

Let's be realistic.  I mentioned in an earlier post what I thought about the Core Sounds versus the AT853s.  For the money, Core Sound mics are a nice entry level product if that's what you have the money to spend on.  I think you saw a nice price for some of these on ebay.  You'll pull some reasonable recordings, but they won't have a lot of bass.  Part of the point of all this is, from the experience of those of us that have been down this road, they'll probably leave you wanting for more.  There is a liklihood that once you've grabbed half dozen recordings or so, you'll dowload some shows from others or off of archive and wish that you had a little warmer sounding setup.  That's when you'll start looking for a job or otherwise dreaming up ways to come up with the cash (which usually includes selling the mics you just bought only a few short months ago) to fund the purchase.  It's just been a logical progression for so many of us, that we are all making these recommendations in order to maybe save you from going down that same path.  Now, having said all of this...can you be happy with the recordings you get from Core Sounds...SURE!  I recorded for a couple years with them. 

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »
Personally, I've just ordered a pair of Church-Audio cardoid mics to go with an Edirol R-09. I was dithering a bit about mics, or at least I was until I found a recording of a guy called Tommy Emmanuel that used CA mics and preamp, and the sound quality blew me away (almost as much as Mr Emmanuel's playing). If I can get audience recordings half as clear and warm as that torrent (look here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34287&highlight=tommy+emmanuel ) I'll be a very happy man indeed.

As for more general advice - the little I'm qualified to give, anyway - it's like all these things, if you buy the cheapest thing you can find, then you'll inevitably be upgrading sooner rather than later. From the sound of recordings I've heard using CA mics, they'll keep me going for a good while.

Hope that helps in some small way.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com