Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some good (stealth) mics  (Read 12954 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Need some good (stealth) mics
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »
If you want DPA get them they are the best out there better then any mic I make.. If you really want them get them new, save up your cash. Don't get my mics if you really want to go that way.

Well I'll be. +t for shooting straight there.

Although I think the schoeps crowd may disagree ;)

DPA - BRUEL KJEAR = Best mics in the world :) I like Schoeps but B&K is very hard to beat. When a company is looking for the most accurate mic in the world they choose DPA :) When you want flavor you choose Schoeps or Neumann. That's my two cents.:)

Most accurate mics in my opinion are very small <.25 inch capsule true pressure omni like made by Earthworks and my own DSM with ruler flat frequency response from <10 cycles to beyond 40,000 cycles.  Where accuracy is important type and size matters!

See www.sonicstudios.com/multitrk.htm

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »
If you want DPA get them they are the best out there better then any mic I make.. If you really want them get them new, save up your cash. Don't get my mics if you really want to go that way.

DPA - BRUEL KJEAR = Best mics in the world :) I like Schoeps but B&K is very hard to beat. When a company is looking for the most accurate mic in the world they choose DPA :) When you want flavor you choose Schoeps or Neumann. That's my two cents.:)

Most accurate mics in my opinion are very small <.25 inch capsule true pressure omni like made by Earthworks and my own DSM with ruler flat frequency response from <10 cycles to beyond 40,000 cycles.  Where accuracy is important type and size matters!

It is not only the capsule size, but the diaphragm material as well.  DPA and most other high end mics have a very thin diaphragm, and it is gold vapourized mylar.

That said, I recently revisited a WM61a recording I made way back and it sounded much more "transparent" than I thought it would.  More transparent than either AT853 or AKG CK91 in fact.  I could hear some problems in it (maybe resonances, I don't know), but it was very transparent.  So much so that I'm going to look for some high end omnis now...

What do I mean "transparent".  I noticed it most when I could hear the background noises really clearly, especially outdoor/festival recordings.

Are any of you guys out there "reskinning" mics?  I thought I heard of some guy (Steve Sank?) doing that with Naks (Primo caps) a while back.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 08:34:31 PM »
The Zombies played in Vancouver this past week.  They got a great review in the paper, made me sorry I missed it.

LOL That's too funny!! Colin mentions it being -28° in Canada, and how happy he is to be in Los Angeles on my recording ;D I could send you a copy if you'd like, didn't come out half bad ;) Got the whole Ian Hunter set as well, it's GREAT!

@everyone else-I'm lovin these replies! :) Learning more and more as the days progress
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

dorrcoq

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 01:29:52 AM »
The Zombies played in Vancouver this past week.  They got a great review in the paper, made me sorry I missed it.

LOL That's too funny!! Colin mentions it being -28° in Canada, and how happy he is to be in Los Angeles on my recording ;D I could send you a copy if you'd like, didn't come out half bad ;) Got the whole Ian Hunter set as well, it's GREAT!

@everyone else-I'm lovin these replies! :) Learning more and more as the days progress

Well, I'm not sure where in Canada they were, but it has NEVER been -28 in Vancouver.  In fact it has never officially been below 0 F in Vancouver.  I think the record low is 3 degrees F.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't really want a copy.  Ian Hunter sounds good, though - any new material?

Offline Jacob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »
Noone has mentioned Microphone Madness mics yet. Not good?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
Mic Madness mics are good, the Sennheiser mke2  is the best electret omni for the price IMO.  DPA and Sanken might sound better, but not for the $250 you spend for a pair of the mic madness mke2's.

The mke40's HLSC'1s are also very nice.  They sound nicer to my ears than the AT853(c), but certainly lack in the bass department.  They also handle a great deal of SPL with normal plug-in-power, making them a super option for stealth.  Paired with a Hi-MD, you will be blown away...

As far as the accuracy argument goes, sure smaller diaphragm in theory are more accurate, but comparing SonicStudio's mics to DPA ?  :-\     I have used several varieties of Panasonic electrets, and indeed they can sound very natural/transparent. I even have a set of the old Radio Shack electrets that smoke my AT853's in the transparency department.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would go with DPA if I was looking for a recording that sounded exactly like the source....

This is just my $.02, I am consumer/hobbyist, not a professional like some of you....

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
I personally don't want accuracy - I want the recording to sound better than it did to my ears at the time.

A lot of the time, it does.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Jacob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2007, 12:29:14 PM »

The mke40's HLSC'1s are also very nice.  They sound nicer to my ears than the AT853(c), but certainly lack in the bass department.  They also handle a great deal of SPL with normal plug-in-power, making them a super option for stealth.  Paired with a Hi-MD, you will be blown away...

Using HLSC'1s with either a Hi-MD or R-09, is it still recommended to use a bbox or using plug-in-power would still work? When going line-in with a bbox I assume you would need to boost the rec. levels up to 25/27 of 30?

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 12:40:13 PM »
The HLSCs works just fine without a battery box with a Hi-MD, I have no idea about a R-09.  This was a loud concert (not heavy metal loud, but close)

http://www.treespine.com/rig/rig_files/lotus.mp3

Source: Sennheiser MKE40mm-hlsc1's >
Sony MZ-RH910 (PCM,manual rec,low sen)
Lineage: MZ-RH910(master) > USB(SonicStage) > CD Wave(tracking) > mp3(192kbps)
Notes: Mics on Hat FOB/DFC

dorrcoq

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 01:19:43 PM »
Tim - how do you REALLY feel about guysonic? ;D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »

It is not only the capsule size, but the diaphragm material as well.  DPA and most other high end mics have a very thin diaphragm, and it is gold vapourized mylar.

That said, I recently revisited a WM61a recording I made way back and it sounded much more "transparent" than I thought it would.  More transparent than either AT853 or AKG CK91 in fact.  I could hear some problems in it (maybe resonances, I don't know), but it was very transparent.  So much so that I'm going to look for some high end omnis now...

What do I mean "transparent".  I noticed it most when I could hear the background noises really clearly, especially outdoor/festival recordings.

Are any of you guys out there "reskinning" mics?  I thought I heard of some guy (Steve Sank?) doing that with Naks (Primo caps) a while back.

Richard

DSM-1S series is modified WM61, and 6S series is based on no longer made and special ordered WM60 capsules.  Made a few DSM-9s models using DPA4062 that I liked, but as discussed elsewhere, too much trouble to modify more of these.

To be honest, the unmodified WM61/60 and DPA 4060 capsules never sounded very good to my ears.  I've modified all three of these to extend low frequency response and make the mid-to-very high frequencies sound very natural in my opinion.

Most people who use these modified capsule products, and/or hear the recordings agree with the above.

However, it's also very true "you can NOT please everyone!"
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

Richard

DSM-1S series is modified WM61, and 6S series is based on no longer made and special ordered WM60 capsules.  Made a few DSM-9s models using DPA4062 that I liked, but as discussed elsewhere, too much trouble to modify more of these.

To be honest, the unmodified WM61/60 and DPA 4060 capsules never sounded very good to my ears.  I've modified all three of these to extend low frequency response and make the mid-to-very high frequencies sound very natural in my opinion.

Most people who use these modified capsule products, and/or hear the recordings agree with the above.

However, it's also very true "you can NOT please everyone!"

Thanks for the tech info.  I agree that the WM61A are very good, and I also noticed a problem with the mid-to-high freqs as well, but have not fixed this (yet).

Just let me comment that I really appreciate the tech info on your website (R09 sensitivity measurements come to mind).

It should be easy to satisfy others by taking any sales pitches to the Retail section.

Thanks...
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Jacob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
The HLSCs works just fine without a battery box with a Hi-MD, I have no idea about a R-09.  This was a loud concert (not heavy metal loud, but close)

Sony MZ-RH910 (PCM,manual rec,low sen)
Lineage: MZ-RH910(master) > USB(SonicStage) > CD Wave(tracking) > mp3(192kbps)

Thanks for the sample, sounds really good. Do you by chance remember which level you set on this particular recording? I'm gonna be running the same mic on MZ-NH900 soon.

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2007, 04:47:33 PM »

Sony MZ-RH910 (PCM,manual rec,low sen) No idea what level, just set it so the lines don't peakLineage: MZ-RH910(master) > USB(SonicStage) > CD Wave(tracking) > mp3(192kbps)

Thanks for the sample, sounds really good. Do you by chance remember which level you set on this particular recording? I'm gonna be running the same mic on MZ-NH900 soon.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com