Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some good (stealth) mics  (Read 12958 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
Re: Need some good (stealth) mics
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »
Ok, so what you guys are saying is it's a tossup? ;D

If I have $1200 to spend I can grab a couple AT853's. If I have maybe $200 I should go with CA?

Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 05:38:47 AM »
yesterday i used my mz-rh1+bbox+mm-hlsc-2 sennheiser cardioids for taping a small club blues session on line-in.

i used manual level control and pushed the levels up to -2db to 0dB at 28/30 on my manual gain control.
at a big indoor arena 15/30 is a good point to start with using the mz-rh1.

at the same time i taped with my iriver and the sp-cmc-8 cardioids and the result was much worse than the sony mz-rh1+sennheiser combination, which had more bass and generally more power behind...almost sounds like a soundboard recording ;) compared to the rockboxed iriver h140+sp-cmc-8 card+bbox.

the mics where placed 1cm from each other on the left and right side of my jackets collar, so this should be a good comparison.

now i´m a bit confused because actually the iriver was my favourable recording device until yesterday....

could it be that the A/D converter of the sony HI-MD recorders are better than the irivers H120/H140s A/D?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 05:40:26 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:03 AM »
yesterday i used my mz-rh1+bbox+mm-hlsc-2 sennheiser cardioids for taping a small club blues session on line-in.

i used manual level control and pushed the levels up to -2db to 0dB at 28/30 on my manual gain control.

at the same time i taped with my iriver and the sp-cmc-8 cardioids and the result was much worse than the sony mz-rh1+sennheiser combination, which had more bass and generally more power behind...almost sounds like a soundboard recording ;) compared to the rockboxed iriver h140+sp-cmc-8 card+bbox.

the mics where placed 1cm from each other on the left and right side of my jackets collar, so this should be a good comparison.

now i´m a bit confused because actually the iriver was my favourable recording device until yesterday....

could it be that the A/D converter of the sony HI-MD recorders are better than the irivers H120/H140s A/D?

My opinion is the ADC in the IRiver/NJB3 is not that great.  OK, but not great.

Furthermore, the Minidisc allows proper analog gain control.  You can use loud (line level) signals or quiet stuff.  I'm quite impressed with the quality of this.  Also, my experience is that the ATRAC compression (HiMD, newer models) is pretty good.  Certainly the limiting factor will be the mics on input.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Jacob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »

Now I wonder how A/D converter on HI-MD machines compares to Edirol R-09. I'll be testing HLSC-1 with custom bbox running line in on R-09 this weekend. Can't wait to compare result with OKM-II Rock Studio / HI-MD combo.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »

Now I wonder how A/D converter on HI-MD machines compares to Edirol R-09. I'll be testing HLSC-1 with custom bbox running line in on R-09 this weekend. Can't wait to compare result with OKM-II Rock Studio / HI-MD combo.

This would be a welcome comparison.  My impression is that they are similar, but of course the Edirol R09 is *much* easier to use, both controls and transfering to computer, and of course, it can record uncompressed for long times.  I still would not abandon MD though.  They have less noise for quiet shows/low output mics than the Edirol.  Plus nothing wrong with having an extra recorder around for a backup, or for SBD recordings.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Jacob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »

This would be a welcome comparison.  My impression is that they are similar, but of course the Edirol R09 is *much* easier to use, both controls and transfering to computer, and of course, it can record uncompressed for long times.  I still would not abandon MD though.  They have less noise for quiet shows/low output mics than the Edirol.  Plus nothing wrong with having an extra recorder around for a backup, or for SBD recordings.

Richard

Actually I still keep my old MZ-R30 MD recorder I've had since fall 1997. It works impeccable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com