Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Homebrew Jecklin and results  (Read 7880 times)

Offline 2amuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Homebrew Jecklin and results
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 08:04:08 PM »
I am finding omnis to be quite forgiving.  I have CSBs and attach them to the front of a waist pack a few inches apart and angled outward.  The middle of the waist back "pooches" out a little creating a slight barrier between the mics but not anything like with the disc.  The results are quite pleasing plus the setup is very fast and discrete.

Perhaps I could get even better imaging with a disc but my setup is incredibly stealth.  The only thing visible are two very tiny mics.  Everything else is in the waist pack.
CSB>bat box>R09.  Ultra simple. 

Also I am finding you don't need to record so hot.  Give yourself plenty of room for percussion hits.  It is nice to have those hits be very clear with no distortion.  Ray

Offline saxophoner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »
what does this jecklin disc achieve?  it looks cool, esp. the green faux fur one, but i've got no clue what its doing.  anyone care to explain to me.

thanks
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 07:50:41 PM »
I run my u89's in sub-card with the disk... 

Good Results...

CQBert

i'll bet you get good results with a pair of U89's  :bigsmile:

I did a first run at a disc with the record album(scratched Duane Allman)+foam+hairy fabric+epoxy+mic clip approach......but it's pretty janky.......does anyone know if the density of the foam or the actual thickness of the disc has anything to do with the "sound" of the baffle.

The discs I've seen for sale do not have any sort of fabric or lambswool or anything....and they are a couple hundred bucks!

I want to use this contraption to record stage lip for Tortoise..........any thoughts???
The room sound in the club is questionable........

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 01:42:25 AM »
I want to use this contraption to record stage lip for Tortoise..........any thoughts???
The room sound in the club is questionable........

I think recording Tortoise with a J-disc would work quite well.  At least around here, they play smallish venues and put out a lot of sound from the stage.  The only caveat I'd add:  don't get too close.  Since they have both drum kits up front & center, you need to get some space between you and the kits to keep the drums from overwhelming the sound and achieve proper blending between the kits and the rest of the instruments.  I've run subcards NOS ~15' back and that worked quite well - nice up-front sound from the drums, but didn't overwhelm everything.  I'd be hesitant to go closer than 10'.  Also...not sure the keyboards go through an on-stage amp, so you still want to catch some of the PA.  But...each venue / stage setup is different.  $0.02
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 01:47:51 AM »
Re foam: it should be acoustically dead.  That is it should not allow sound to pass through it.  I like the layer of fake lambswool to help.  The Japanese first used this techinque if I remember correctly.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

From what I have read the OSS/Jecklin follows the same rules as other omnidirectionals: 1/2 to 1/3 the distance of a cardioid.  So I would suggest getting as close as you can without overloading your mics.  Only your experience with the mics and the band can guide you.  Good luck.  And let us know how it went.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 02:11:59 AM »
At Joshua Tree Roots fest last year one of the acts had their home made Jecklin head.  I believe it was the Ditty Bops.  I was quite surprised when I saw them with their own home made setup.  Talked to them a little bit about it.  They had a mannequins head with bolts coming out of the ears to mount the shocks on.  The head was first wrapped with foam, then something like a cotton ball layer.  Then a dead rat type of material layer wrapping it all.  So the bolt stood out through all that.  I think they were running AKG462s.  I've never seen the source circulate but it looked like a pretty decent solution.  I asked how they got the head and they said they had to buy the entire mannequin at good will.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline boojum

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Did you ever find out how it worked?  The disc is so easy to make, and proven, so I wonder why folks try to reinvent the wheel.  The "head" is a good way to do binaural with the mics in the "ears."  I wonder how well it does as a psuedo OSS. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com