Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U mics from Sound Professionals  (Read 13417 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
SP-CMC-4U mics from Sound Professionals
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »
I am curious about these mics.  They are made from AT U853 cartridges and from that alone I would assume they have a pretty good sound.  Has anyone experience with these?  What are their strong points and their weak points?  They have a 30 day return policy which tells me they believe in their product.  But is their anything to make me wary of these folks?  There are some loonies in this business and I do not want to go through all the hassle of a bad supplier.  TIA     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SP-CMC-4U mics from Sound Professionals
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »

As far as my experience with Chris goes, SP is a very reliable company. I've bought stuff from him once. No problems at all. Very good produtcs, very good comunication. :laugh:
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »
SP is super reliable, thorough, and professional.  No worries buying from them.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
Yep, Sound Pros is just fine with me!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »
Chris at Sound Pro has always been helpful with any returns or even just answering questions about mics, etc.  Never once had a problem since 2003 in dealing with them.

M
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 05:29:16 PM »
I have the original SP-CMC4's.... pre-"U"'s... and they work great. I have had nothing but good experiences with the people at Sound Professionals.

You can get the cables termintated with different types of connectors depending on your need. There are several 1/8" connector varitions and then there is XLR connectors with Phantom Modules. Talk the people at SP and they will fill you in on the pros/cons of each. The 1/8" with a battery box is the simplest setup. There are differences in the self noise of the mics and the SPL handling depending on how you power them... so you can get the best fit for what you intend to record.

You should also check out the mics offered by Chris Church, who is a member here. Look here... http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79928.0.html If you have specific questions, send him a note or post it here and people will answer your questions I am sure.

But if you have already decided on SP-CMC-4U's, I can tell you they are fine mics and I have had no problems dealing with the company at all.
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline mrruin

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 05:39:40 PM »
I have the U853 caps with slim bodies and they are fantastic, I love them. If you want to check out recordings you can look on Dimeadozen and search for the NIN shows from vienna this march. There is a sample provided with each torrent there so you can get an idea of what it sounds like. The recordings have been post processed though. But I can only recommend them, great set of mics for stealthing.

Also, SPs is a very good company with excellent customer service. No worries buying from them.
AT 943/h or U853/c > 3 wire "crown-royal" BB > ST 9100 preamp v2.0 > R-09
my shows: http://db.etree.org/mrruin *updated April 2nd 2007*
-------------
Team Europe

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:53:52 PM »
I have a similar set I think the model is SP-SPSM-6 which are AT-853 (pre U?) on flexi things that look like bug antennae.  I like them in general, they are quite sensitive, but I have overloaded them a couple of times, at which point everything sounds like crap.  I'm talking way FOB, like 20' from stacks.  And that's with an SP 12v battery box.  If I back off a bit, they sound great.  Normally I run them batt box > line in on my R-09.

I had a couple of shows in the archive which came out pretty well:
http://www.archive.org/details/Assembly_of_Dust_2007-03-17.at853
http://www.archive.org/details/gptn2007-03-11.at853.flac16f
Hope that helps.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline mrruin

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 01:43:59 AM »
To have them perform to their potential you really need a 3 wire bbox or a 4.7k mod then overloading is not an issue anymore.
AT 943/h or U853/c > 3 wire "crown-royal" BB > ST 9100 preamp v2.0 > R-09
my shows: http://db.etree.org/mrruin *updated April 2nd 2007*
-------------
Team Europe

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 03:41:03 AM »
is there any kind of sonic comparison between U853 and the classic AT853s?

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:26 AM »
To have them perform to their potential you really need a 3 wire bbox or a 4.7k mod then overloading is not an issue anymore.

If you don't know what he means, these mics tend to distort in really loud Sound Pressure Level situations.  It's a common issue and the fixes mentioned are simple and inexpensive.  I have the mics you're considering and I also recommend them highly...great bang for the buck and one of the very most popular mics in that price range.  I had a warranty issue with a product I bought from Sound Pros about 3 years ago and they were ALL over it...they were very responsive, timely and considerate.  Customer service is fantastic.  No worries whatsoever with either the product or the company.

Offline boojum

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 10:44:04 AM »

Anybody want to tell me how to build these fixes?  Are there plans here on the board?  And if the 4.7k mod is neccessary, why hasn't AT done this??  What does the 4.7k ohm resistor do?  Just curious and would welcome any help on the mods.  Also, I use OKM II's now without any overload problems.  I do not listen to heavy metal and the like.

Cheers   B)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:50:21 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »

Anybody want to tell me how to build these fixes?  Are there plans here on the board?  And if the 4.7k mod is neccessary, why hasn't AT done this??  What does the 4.7k ohm resistor do?  Just curious and would welcome any help on the mods.  Also, I use OKM II's now without any overload problems.  I do not listen to heavy metal and the like.

Cheers   B)

The resistor mod increases the headroom of the mics so that they can handle the really high sound pressure level shows.  This mod isn't required for the mics to work for you.  I don't have it on my mics and I recorded at least 100 shows with my SP-CMC-4 (which I typically just call AT-853s).  I only had maybe 3 shows booger up on me.  The thing is, the resistor mod is so cheap that it's really silly not to have it done.  I just make sure that if the show is really loud, I don't setup close to the speakers.  Also, if you're in a really big room where the bass can sometimes fool you with the amount of SPL, that's a situation where these mics fall down a little without the mod.

Chris Church on this list is the person to talk to about the mod.  He does it for $10 excluding parts and shipping.  He's in Canada, so the mod costs around $25 or $30 (when you include shipping back to you in the States).  I will have it done to my mics just to have peace of mind that they won't sound OD on me in the future.

BTW, you mention that you don't listen to metal...the shows that I tape successfully with these mics are more in the vein of jam bands at club shows.  The volume can get fairly loud, but not to where the ears ring when you leave the club.  Generally, at that 'fairly loud in the club' level, the SPLs are OK, but that's when I start to worry that the AT-853 are on the verge of going over the edge.  Like I said, $30 would be worth it to me.  Incidently, I've only been reading here for the last several months and I have upgraded my rig but I still have the AT-853s...this is why I haven't sent Chris my mics yet...just hasn't reached the top of my rig investment priority list.

Another BTW, I think if you PM Chris he can give you details of the mod.  I know it's been written about many times in the mic forum, so if you do a search...say on '4.7 resistor' or something similar you might hit paydirt.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:27:50 AM by tonedeaf »

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 09:24:43 AM »
And if the 4.7k mod is neccessary, why hasn't AT done this

Because when Audio Technica sells the mics they are terminated in a mini xlr, thus not requiring this mod.  You only need the 4.7k for mics that are terminated in a 1/8" plug.

A better question is, why doesnt SoundPros do this mod?  You will have to figure that out on your own... 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 09:25:44 AM »

Because when Audio Technica sells the mics they are terminated in a mini xlr, thus not requiring this mod.  You only need the 4.7k for mics that are terminated in a 1/8" plug.

A better question is, why doesnt SoundPros do this mod?  You will have to figure that out on your own... 

Its actually my mod :) That might be part of the reason..... The other part of the reason might be the fact that it does increase your noise floor. this mod should only be done if you are recording shows between 95db to 118 db I personally hope no one is recording above 105 db but I know that there are a lot of sound engineers that do 110 all the time... This is not a mod for people that wish to record classical or really quiet acoustic stuff.. Or nature recording with out the use of a good external preamp to minimize the noise floor..

Chris

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:35:00 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

stevetoney

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »

I think Soundpros is offering up a solution now.  They have an Ultra High SPL option now for purchasing these mics.

Alchemy

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 06:12:23 PM »

The Sound Professionals don't do this mod because it raises the noise floor. If you go with the AT831 (SP-CMC-2) and give them 9 volts with a battery module, from my experience, you don't have to worry about high SPLs too much. You do lose some bass (below 80 Hz about?), but you can run the usual 1/8th jack this way at least.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 11:26:10 PM by Alchemy »

Offline boojum

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
I have spoken with some fellow back at SP and he is pretty sure that I would not need the phantom power setup; that the 9 volt battery box would be fine.  Nice attitude when he could be amping me up for another hundred or so dollars.  I will take a stab at building a 9 volt battery box from the plans at minidisc.org.  I have the electronic parts and just need a 9 volt battery box and a male 90 degree plug with a foot or so of wire on it and I am soldering.  Yes!  Love these basement junk bin projects.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

nameloc01

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
i just sent mine back wednesday to get the phantom power/xlr  modification.i aslo ordered a denecke ps-2 phantom power supply. i called audio technica (they have an office not far from me) and they told me "point blank" that the u853s were designed to use the AT power modules.they are a couple hundred bucks each.one for each mic. these only increase the handling ability (over the xlr mod) by about 5 db.which isnt very much,at least not for that money. chris assured me that the xlr mod and denecke combo would handle just about any concert situation that you would be in.(spl wise)
he also said the simple BB would be more than likely adequate also, but i am not a gambler and a lot of the shows i record are loud,so i decided to get the mod done.

Offline boojum

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 10:53:57 PM »
he also said the simple BB would be more than likely adequate also, but i am not a gambler and a lot of the shows i record are loud,so i decided to get the mod done.

I will try the BB route.  If it does not work I am out a 9 volt battery and some parts.  If it does work it will proudly stand alongside my geeky homemade Jecklin, made from an Oral Roberts LP.  ;o)  If AT said that about their capsules, and did not sell phantom power supplies, I would reject what SP says.  But it is almost common knowledge that many electrets work with bias voltage ~9 volts just fine.  It seems to work enough that SP sells the BB's along with the SP-CMC-4U's.  They would be getting a lot of them back if they did not work as promoted.  So I am willing to take the low-cost chance. If it fails and it is not my building of the BB, I will let you know.  I ain't proud.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 01:24:44 AM »
Does anyone have opinions on the new vs. older capsules?

I'm wondering if the sound has changed and/or improved any over the "classic" AT853.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
Does anyone have opinions on the new vs. older capsules?

I'm wondering if the sound has changed and/or improved any over the "classic" AT853.

Thanks,
  Richard

The new hypers have better bass extension, and are more sensitive, than the old hypers.  Haven't compared the other patterns.

Offline usernox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »
Hi, I'm quite new to this (taped my first concert last week  :) ), and I used CMC-4U->SPSB-8->line input of Edirol R-09.
While I'm quite surprised (in a positive way) with the results (I should have started this 10 years earlier  :D ), I do have some distortion at high levels. (sample at http://users.telenet.be/mdg/sample.wav ). The input signal never clipped, so I think it must be the mics. According to my ears, the show wasn't especially loud, so I'm thinking about that 4.7k mod, since I don't want to carry around more stuff. If I then want to record something acoustic from time to time, would that be a problem?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 11:17:29 AM »
Hi, I'm quite new to this (taped my first concert last week  :) ), and I used CMC-4U->SPSB-8->line input of Edirol R-09.
While I'm quite surprised (in a positive way) with the results (I should have started this 10 years earlier  :D ), I do have some distortion at high levels. (sample at http://users.telenet.be/mdg/sample.wav ). The input signal never clipped, so I think it must be the mics. According to my ears, the show wasn't especially loud, so I'm thinking about that 4.7k mod, since I don't want to carry around more stuff. If I then want to record something acoustic from time to time, would that be a problem?
where did you place yourself? near the soundboard or near the PA?
I NEVER had distortion with standard SP-CMC-8 cardioids(2 wire) which have the same SPL(125dB with bbox) + bbox. taped pearl jam and the chili peppers an had no problems at all. I´m always at soundboard distance to the PA.
could it be you were to close to the PA? ;)
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »
I NEVER had distortion with standard SP-CMC-8 cardioids(2 wire) which have the same SPL(125dB with bbox) + bbox. taped pearl jam and the chili peppers an had no problems at all. I´m always at soundboard distance to the PA.

Actually the distortion of the AT 853 .. When its converted to two wire is more then 10% @ 114db @ 1k at 125 db the distortion would be closer to 20%

Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 12:57:28 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 12:46:31 PM »

I would get and have had the mod done by Chris, no problems. I even recorded an acoustic gig (not shared yet) without any issues such as not loud enough. I am using his st-9100 pre though to boost the gain.
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »
Actually the distortion of the AT 853 .. When its converted to two wire is more then 10% @ 114db @ 1k at 125 db the distortion would be closer to 20%

Chris, what voltage BB/Preamp did the 853 have to get those ratings?

Would that be the the distortion to expect from AT853's through your ST-9100?

Thanx,
Michael
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline usernox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »

Well, I was somewhere in between... (I wanted to see something too, you know). Guess I'll first experiment a bit more, before I decide anything  :)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »

Chris, what voltage BB/Preamp did the 853 have to get those ratings?

Would that be the the distortion to expect from AT853's through your ST-9100?

Thanx,
Michael

I used a 9 volt battery with a 10k resistor and a 10uf cap.. I dont use a battery box for my tests. All distortion measurements are done at 1k. There is no change in distortion from going to my preamp or a battery box because the supply voltage is virtually the same, however going from a preamp ANY PREAMP that is designed properly will improve your signal to noise ratio and provide a much closer to 0 db signal then just a battery box in MOST CASES.

Supply voltage is not the issue with distortion of most electret microphones when they are being powered between 5 and 9 volts.  People have always thought increasing the voltage to the capsule reduces distortion the plain simple truth is it does, but not by any real difference. Any voltage over 5 volts is all you need to power these mics correctly and there is virtually no difference to go from 5 volts to 9 volts the mics still distort at the same levels there might be about a 0.3% difference between 5 volts and 9 volts in the way of distortion performance.

The main reason why it has been an issue in the past is most people assumed that the 1.5 volts of plug in power was not enough for powering a electret mic and they were half right, the other reason in most cases was the shitty mic preamp that they were using as a front end for the mic capsule could not handle the input level and the end result was increased distortion.

So everyone jumped on the battery box bandwagon, There was a decrease in distortion but it was primarily from connecting the mic to the LINE INPUT, and secondarily because of the use of a voltage over 5 volts. There has been talk about increasing the voltage to 12 or 15 volts that does not do shit for distortion percentages in most electret capsules.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:47:54 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 01:03:48 PM »
So everyone jumped on the battery box bandwagon, There was a decrease in distortion but it was primarily from connecting the mic to the LINE INPUT, and secondarily because of the use of a voltage over 5 volts. There has been talk about increasing the voltage to 12 or 15 volts that does not do shit for distortion percentages in most electret capsules.

Chris

So I originally had a pair of CMC-8s that loved to distort at high SPL.  I decided to get the three wire done (by hyper-plane) and using the 9v battery box, I still get a little distortion, but it isnt nearly as bad.  I wonder if there might be something up with my mics (maybe i need to clean them or something?).  I am running CMC-8s (3-wire mod) > 9v battery box (3-wire) > MT 24/96 (mic in).

Now, one thing I thought of was using a 12v battery instead.   I wonder if those little mini 9volts are too weak for the mics (at least for the amount of time I need to use them for).  Any thoughts Chris?

I am always amazed at how some people say their CMC-8s never distort, yet mine will.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »

Chris

So I originally had a pair of CMC-8s that loved to distort at high SPL.  I decided to get the three wire done (by hyper-plane) and using the 9v battery box, I still get a little distortion, but it isnt nearly as bad.  I wonder if there might be something up with my mics (maybe i need to clean them or something?).  I am running CMC-8s (3-wire mod) > 9v battery box (3-wire) > MT 24/96 (mic in).

Now, one thing I thought of was using a 12v battery instead.   I wonder if those little mini 9volts are too weak for the mics (at least for the amount of time I need to use them for).  Any thoughts Chris?

I am always amazed at how some people say their CMC-8s never distort, yet mine will.

Three wire reduces the distortion of these mics to about 4% at 114db.. My mod reduces the output of the capsule by a further 4db from three wire, but it decreases the distortion down to 0.5% at 114db! so when you combine my mod with a good preamp you get very good signal to noise ratio and very good spl handling. So you lose some gain but you gain some headroom. This mod should not be done for people that want to do nature recording but I suspect most people that want to do nature recording would want to go to a DPA 4060. And not use a cardioid at all.

Chris

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »

Chris

Three wire reduces the distortion of these mics to about 4% at 114db.. My mod reduces the output of the capsule by a further 4db from three wire, but it decreases the distortion down to 0.5% at 114db! so when you combine my mod with a good preamp you get very good signal to noise ratio and very good spl handling. So you lose some gain but you gain some headroom. This mod should not be done for people that want to do nature recording but I suspect most people that want to do nature recording would want to go to a DPA 4060. And not use a cardioid at all.

Chris

I don't know about your measurement methodology, Chris, but three-wire and your "4.7k" mod should be similar in terms of distortion.  Also, you will notice that most wiring diagrams, like AT8533 power modules, AKG CK1000, CK9x, etc. all use three-wire powering of the FET, so I am not the only one who thinks this is the correct circuit!  I agree with you that the 4.7k mod "throws away" some possible gain (the 4dB you report), but it is useful for at least two reasons: 1) it allows the mic to be powered with two wires only (saves wiring complexity), 2) it allows you to use "standard" two wire battery boxes (eg., 1/8" miniplug).  I have pretty much converted all of my mics to two-wire/4.7k mod for this reason.

OK, to all you doubters out there.  You may think your mics are not distorting.  But even at moderate levels, there is something there.  Change to three wire or 4.7k mod and you *will* see an improvement in sound quality, even at moderate volumes.  You might not hear it, but it is there...

Oh yeah, as far as the DPA406x, there is a lot going on inside that capsule.  I *think* there is some kind of active circuit (one or more buffer transistors).  In addition to handling overload with only two wires, this mic has some kind of impedance converter so it can drive long cables and/or low impedance inputs, like transformer input preamps.  I have not taken one apart though, so I don't know exactly what is inside.  Any volunteers, lol??

Richard
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:35:42 PM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »

Chris

Chris

I don't know about your measurement methodology, Chris, but three-wire and your "4.7k" mod should be similar in terms of distortion.  Also, you will notice that most wiring diagrams, like AT8533 power modules, AKG CK1000, CK9x, etc. all use three-wire powering of the FET, so I am not the only one who thinks this is the correct circuit!  I agree with you that the 4.7k mod "throws away" some possible gain (the 4dB you report), but it is useful for at least two reasons: 1) it allows the mic to be powered with two wires only (saves wiring complexity), 2) it allows you to use "standard" two wire battery boxes (eg., 1/8" miniplug).  I have pretty much converted all of my mics to two-wire/4.7k mod for this reason.

OK, to all you doubters out there.  You may think your mics are not distorting.  But even at moderate levels, there is something there.  Change to three wire or 4.7k mod and you *will* see an improvement in sound quality, even at moderate volumes.  You might not hear it, but it is there...

Oh yeah, as far as the DPA406x, there is a lot going on inside that capsule.  I *think* there is some kind of active circuit (one or more buffer transistors).  In addition to handling overload with only two wires, this mic has some kind of impedance converter so it can drive long cables and/or low impedance inputs, like transformer input preamps.  I have not taken one apart though, so I don't know exactly what is inside.  Any volunteers, lol??

Richard

Hey Richard they are very similar but there is a least with the circuit I was using to test a difference with the AT 853 I did not test the three wire vs my mod with any other mic. So I should quantify my statement that I found with the AT-853 vs my 4.7k mod that there was still more distortion in the 4.7k mod then in the three wire using the circuit I built. Based on your schematic.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »

Chris

I am sure MY sp-cmc-8 cards would DISTORT if i taped the same show at the same venue at the same spot WITH you ;).
For really loud indoor rock shows(pearl jam, chili peppers) I always use my sennheiser MM-HLSC-1 cardioids. Am sure they would also distort if I stood in front of the PA...or the soundguy has severe ear-damage yet and fires 120 or 130dB into the audience;).

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »
Am sure they would also distort if I stood in front of the PA

I doubt it.  I threw some serious SPL's at the HLSC's, no distortion. Jet engine approved...

Alchemy

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »
I have a Knopfler tape that was done near the stacks with the HLSC's and when listening closely, you can definitely hear some slight bits of bass distortion in parts. He was running with two wire with a battery box. It's all about location...location...location...I think.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:13:12 PM by Alchemy »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »
I have a Knopfler tape that was done near the stacks with the HLSC's and when listening closely, you can definitely hear some slight bits of bass distortion in parts. He was running with two wire with a battery box. It's all about location...location...location...I think.
I feel most on the safe side with my sennheisers at loud amplified indoor arena rock shows.
the sp-cmc-8 cards sound crystal clear BUT too thin IMHO.
The Sennheiser HLSC(MKE40´s) sound coloured but good, with more punch behind the sound.

Right now my Sennheiser MM-HLSO omnis(MKE-2s) are my favourite Mics both regarding sound and size ;).

Offline roggae

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Gay for Trey"
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »
I want a pair of the HLSO or the DPA4060. 

I wonder if the DPA's are worth the price compared to the HLSO?
mlsc1->iRiver

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 06:44:31 AM »
I had the chance to test "old" 4.7k modded AT853s(SP-CMC-4) for some days.
The strange thing I realized was almost no separation between left and right mic.
When I spoke into the left mic(right mic was far away) both indicators on the levelmeter bounced up to almost the same level?!
Is this a result of the 4.7k mod?
The 4.7k mod on these mics was done within the 3.5mm plug and not within the capsules.
I could see 1 small resistor when i opened the plug.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:47:48 AM by Arni99 »

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 06:52:59 AM »
I had that same problem arni.  My mod was originally done using 1 resistor in the mini plug sharing the yellow wire.  In theory the signals should not combine, but they do.  I had the mod redone with 2 resistors, one on each yellow and the results are fantastic...  You must match the resistors.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
Am sure some "masters of soldering" can explain why signals are combined and not separated when using 1 resistor only ;).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 69 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com