Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running Omnis???  (Read 14898 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Running Omnis???
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2007, 07:22:45 AM »

I believe the reference you sited is also referring to stereo recording angle in this sense.  For ideal omnis, changing the angle between mics won't really affect loudness for sounds coming from the right vs. the left.  All the stereo cues from omni recordings (without a baffle adding directionality, and aside from some directionality in high frequency content) come from timing differences due to the sound hitting one mic before the other.  The further apart the mics are, the bigger the timing difference for the arrival of sounds coming from off axis.  Thus, the farther apart the mics, the smaller angle (in reality) between sound sources needed to produce the same perceived angle between the sound sources on playback.  Thus stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

Exactly! That is what I was talking about.  We are on the same page, maybe it was me who was not clear  :)

It's nice to see a universe defined so neatly.

I suppose the problem for the theoretical universe is that pesky higher frequency directionality and the fact there is no 'true' omni mic...and that the higher frequencies are the most important for directional perception. Which means changing the angle will affect the loudness of frequencies related to positional information :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2007, 09:10:12 AM »

I believe the reference you sited is also referring to stereo recording angle in this sense.  For ideal omnis, changing the angle between mics won't really affect loudness for sounds coming from the right vs. the left.  All the stereo cues from omni recordings (without a baffle adding directionality, and aside from some directionality in high frequency content) come from timing differences due to the sound hitting one mic before the other.  The further apart the mics are, the bigger the timing difference for the arrival of sounds coming from off axis.  Thus, the farther apart the mics, the smaller angle (in reality) between sound sources needed to produce the same perceived angle between the sound sources on playback.  Thus stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

Exactly! That is what I was talking about.  We are on the same page, maybe it was me who was not clear  :)

I suppose the problem for the theoretical universe is that pesky higher frequency directionality and the fact there is no 'true' omni mic...and that the higher frequencies are the most important for directional perception. Which means changing the angle will affect the loudness of frequencies related to positional information :)

digifish

And then there's the phase relationship that changes with (most) omni mic orientations relative to the sound(s) source direction.  Very important to imaging with baflled omni HRTF type mic array.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

stirinthesauce

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2007, 09:11:49 AM »

It's not.  But you knew that  ;)  However, the theories behind stereophonic recording and the mic placement involved in that provides a starting point.  From there, I, we, you will cater to their needs because of the imperfect world and the imperfect tools we use.  I take the theoreotical as a starting point and see how I can apply it to any given situation and then manipulate to my needs.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »

Ahh, ok.  I think what threw me was using the chart in conjunction with discussion of the Healy technique, as if the reason the mics in the Healy technique were poistioned at 180° was because of the SRA being 180°.

digifish

Yes, and that is acknowledged in the quoted passage.  It doesn't change the fact that all else being equal stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 08:50:05 PM »

Ahh, ok.  I think what threw me was using the chart in conjunction with discussion of the Healy technique, as if the reason the mics in the Healy technique were positioned at 180° was because of the SRA being 180°.

Not to confuse things, but actually for the 'Healy Technique', I think that IS partially the case.  In that particular case, the primary determinate of the 180° SRA IS the spacing between the mics but secondarily, the high frequency directionality of the mics angled 180° apart also approximates the sensitivity to high frequencies of the human head (like HRTF without a baffle).  As I understand it, Healy originally devised that setup as an on-stage mic technique to feed the in-ear monitors that the band had started using so they could hear each other and whatever else was going on on-stage with their 'ear-monitor-plugs' in.  The mic setup approximated a binaural technique similar to an artificial head, delivering those onstage sound ques to each member. Remember that this was back when in-ear monitors were new, the Dead were forging trails into new territory as they had done so many times before and in typical Dead style it was done to the extreme..  if the PA was turned off the only sound would be drums, no bass, no guitar or key cabs contributing to onstage sound.  Still, with omnis..

..It doesn't change the fact that all else being equal stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »
And then there's the phase relationship that changes with (most) omni mic orientations relative to the sound(s) source direction.  Very important to imaging with baflled omni HRTF type mic array.

?

..or to any spaced mic technique.

Any spaced mic technique will produce phase differences between channels for sound sources that are not directly in front, behind, above or on that vertical plane between mics.  That's the case regardless of polar pattern.  The only way to avoid ANY change of 'phase relationship' is to position the mics coincidentally.  The only stereo omni configuration I can imagine without phase differences between channels would be placing two omnis as close as possible against opposite sides of a thin baffle to try and and get to a close-as-possible coincident placement while still retaining the directionality imparted by the baffle.

Distance between mics = time difference between channels for off center sources = phase difference between channels, determined by the relationship between the distance between the mics and the frequency's wavelength.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
Michael Williams' paper on Stereophonic Zoom covers the distances needed between omnis for different sound stages.  It is a very effective technique.  It will start you at a place where a small adjustment will be all you need.  Or, you can just go with his settings.  I have been experimenting with it and find it quite accurate and very helpful.  Rycote has a reprint with all the data, explanations, charts and so on.  It is a difficult read.  Well, it is for me as I have a reading disability and it threw me.  It took me about six tries to understand it.  I think you guys could get it in one shot.

http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/The%20Stereophonic%20Zoom.pdf

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2007, 01:26:56 PM »
It's very gratifying to read a thread such as this one. My hat (currently a bright blue "New York Liberty" cap) is off to the people who are in there experimenting and listening--even if to some extent, they're "re-inventing the wheel." The fact that some brave souls are making reasonable guesses and then trying those guesses out, listening to the results and refining their theories is wondrous to behold.

As opposed specifically to: people who start out with theories, love those theories above all else, and interpret whatever they see and hear so that their theories will seem to be upheld. I hereby declare myself a refugee from boards where that is the dominant attitude.

Still and all, let me try to make some people's work a little easier, perhaps.

#1: The omnis that most people are talking about here are small pressure transducers. Their behavior is quite different from the "omni" pattern of most multi-pattern microphones (the only exceptions, because of how they switch their patterns: Schoeps microphones and certain recent Shure KSMs). Some characteristics (e.g. the angles and spacings that work well for stereo recording) come from "omniness" in general, while other characteristics (e.g. extended low-frequency response; relative insensitivity to wind, handling noise or physical vibration) come from the fact that they're pressure transducers.

People who are running, for example, an LSD-2 or an AKG C 34 shouldn't expect the "omni" setting of their mikes to behave like the omnis discussed in this thread, since their kind of "omni" is synthesized from two back-to-back cardioids, and behaves more like a directional microphone in many respects. Also, at high frequencies their pattern is more bidirectional (or "propellor-shaped") and differs from that of a pressure microphone, which simply narrows its forward pattern at higher frequencies.

#2: Hooray for the people who tried it, listened, and found that a relatively small spacing between two omnis (just a few feet) is often enough for good stereo pickup--even when the sound source is quite wide. For some unfathomable reason, most of us Americans never seem to imagine that this approach is worth trying, let alone that it might actually work better (i.e. be less swimmy and phasey) than more widely-spaced omnis.

In Europe when people talk about "AB" stereo recording, they usually think of a moderately small distance between the mikes. The conventional American style (divide the overall width by three and place the microphones at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions--or even divide it by four and put the mikes at 1/4 and 3/4) seems very strange; can't we hear the "hole in the middle?" Sometimes I listen to the old Telarc orchestra recordings that won all those Grammy awards in the early days of the CD, and it helps me to understand why many people find a center microphone necessary as a rule (e.g. Decca Tree or the Nakamichi three-mike "curtain" approach). But sometimes a better solution comes about by not creating the defect in the first place.

#3: Someone pointed out that the closeness or distance of microphone placement seemed to affect the brightness or dullness of the pickup with omnis more than with other patterns. Again, hooray; what their ears were telling them was spot on. And as it turns out, this explains why there can never be any one type of omnidirectional microphone that is ideal for all types of setup and all styles of recording--any thought that one manufacturer or design approach has the supreme edge over all other brands and types is simply a misplaced notion (even more so with omnis than with any other kind of microphone, I would say).

The thing is, reflected sound and direct sound aren't just sound coming from one direction versus another. Reflected sound is sound with a past; it arrives later, it arrives over multiple paths (and thus at multiple angles of incidence and multiple arrival times), and it has bounced off of surfaces which have each taken a chunk out of the sound--usually at high frequencies most of all. So it is truly "diffuse," in three ways at once: incidence angles that approach randomness, arrival times that are spread out, and high-frequency content that's been dulled down.

For indoor recording, the farther away you get from the sound sources, the more reflected sound you'll pick up relative to the direct sound. At high frequencies, any but the tiniest (and therefore noisiest) of omnidirectional microphones are more sensitive to direct sound than diffuse sound, so you are immediately plunged into the midst of a balancing act. Since we all face practical constraints as to miking distances, angles, etc., different microphones are sometimes needed, or some corresponding equalization of the high frequencies in post.

This high-frequency absorption of reflected sound is generally desirable from the listener's point of view. It's certainly a part of what we hear in any concert venue, and if there isn't enough of it, the room sounds harsh and fatiguing. If anyone ever tries to sell you on a certain type of microphone because its elevated high-frequency response off axis "compensates" for these losses, perhaps that ought to set off one's BS detector--it's "fixing" something that wasn't broken in the first place. (Ordinarily it will be a directional microphone, though; as noted above, omnis have the exact opposite tendency.)

--OK, we suddenly have guests including a 4-year-old, so I'd better run. Thanks again for all the goodies in this thread. Yay you people.

--best regards

P.S. the next morning: Added a photo of a diffuse sound field as mimicked by the ginko leaves that fell last night.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:57:00 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com