Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VX Poclet  (Read 9068 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
VX Poclet
« on: September 08, 2002, 06:08:45 PM »
I am awaiting my VX pocket to get here, and am curious as to any reviews on this piece of gear.... any conflicts?  likes, dislikes?

Jonny

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
Re:VX Poclet
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 02:43:46 PM »
I love this card but there are two major complaints:  

1.  The dongle.  The connector for the breakout cable is very weak.  I recommend making some kind of shroud or using with extreme caution in the field.

2.  Not capable of a 96KHz sampling rate.  Your limited to 24/48 which is fine for me.  

Other than those two little drawbacks, I highly recommend the card.  

-D

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 03:55:08 PM »
I was under the impression on the Vx2 that you can do 96 via coax...

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 04:22:20 PM »
Just spoke to Fostex.  Indeed, it does not go 96 khz.  This is dumb.  2 complaints already- 1, since its not going USB it should be doing 96 for the cost.  2- why they don't have a tech person easily reachable baffles me, seems like the kind of support companies should be offering.  

So, end result for me- returning my VX pocket which I am receiving by mail today and going with a Nuendo Multiset instead.  

Jonny

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 05:40:43 PM »
Whatever works for you, what's the big rush to do 24/96?  Have you done any listening tests with 24/48 vs. 24/96?  Also, I think 24/48 fits the dvd-a spec closer than 24/96 although I could be wrong on this.

-D

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 08:02:18 PM »
Big rush = a few things.  First off the nuendo multiset serves more than one purpose for me.  It will allow me to do multi channel recordings, plus it will allow me to go 24/96.  I'm very much of the opinion that if you can go higher bit rate and higher sampling rate you should.  Might as well get the maximum possabilites out of your sound.

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 03:01:22 PM »
I understand that I just feel that the benefits of 24/96 don't blow away 24/48.   You've got to deal with 2 gigs/hour for 24/96 vs. 1 gig/hour for 24/48.  Also, the vx fits in my machine, no need for an extra box in my bag.  One other thing is that I don't do multichannel stuff, that's probably the biggest factor for me.  To each his own...

-D

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 05:29:42 PM »
it all gets burned to 16 bit on a cd in the end.  whats the point?  i understand you can listen to it from a hardrive>system whatever, but what about in your car, bringing a laptop with you or what?  just playin devils advocate here.  

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 08:17:26 PM »
Granted there is no clear cut medium for 24 bit material yet (dvd-a looks strong but who knows what will happen in the end) but with a  system like vx digi out->lucid da9624->listening system you realize why 24 bit is the shit.  

I do dither and resample 24 bit stuff for CDs.  It's still what 99.9% of the world is doing.  I play cds in my car, I walk around with my discman but I have been known to carry my pixbook/vx with headphone jack as my source of tunes (so, yes, I do carry a laptop around for music  ;)).  In a couple of years, when one of the formats is clearly defined and present everywhere, I think I'll be glad I was doing 24 bit.  My .02 dollars.  

-D

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 08:43:05 PM »
By the previous rationale we shouldnt be going 48k either.  but the fact is 24 bit is on the rise... it definitely is the direction of the future... i cant wait to see where we are in 10 years :-)

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 08:45:29 PM »
Well put JP...I too, can't wait to see what we're doing in 10 years.

-D

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2002, 11:58:13 AM »
now can you share a 2496 recording, via shn.?  thats data right?  would you lose any of the original sampling quality?  even if it wasn't burned to a disc, and just uploaded to a server, for buddys to download.  possible??  that would be killer.  just not ready to convert over yet, but if i could enjoy the fruits of others technology and hard work...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2002, 12:49:16 PM »
As of right now .shn can't handle the 24/96 files.  The new format FLAC can as far as I know, but then you need some way to play the 24/96 files back.  So until DVD-A is more consumer friendly (as I would only play these back on my ref system), I'll stick with the 16/48.  
Waiting for the 5 channel masterpiece....
SC

P.S. JP did we meet at WSP in Indy this summer?? I was running the M210's in front of you, we were from MI????

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2002, 02:17:55 PM »
that would be the one major reason for me not to tape 24 bit.  the most important part of taping is sharing the tunes,  and if your only giving someone something that is half as good as it could be, whats the point?  is it really worth it?

jpschust

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2002, 01:27:26 PM »
Hey all.

1st - Scott, we did meet at WSP.  Man that was a horrible sounding show.  Honestly- never been to a show with sound that bad...

I have switched over to FLAC making my conversions easier.  As per giving people only half of what you recorded by downsampling it comes down to who I am recording for.  I record primarily for myself and I like to spread my stuff around to other people too.  Same reason I record in 48 when Im using a DAT.  

Jonny

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com