Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camcorder recommendations  (Read 6735 times)

Offline juliocruz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Camcorder recommendations
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
I have been recording shows with a digital Panasonic camera, but I hate that you can only record 30 minutes continuously. Therefore I want to buy a camcorder, so I'm looking for recommendations. I'm looking for a camcorder that:

- can record at least 1,5 hours continuously with 1 battery.
- is small, so doesn't look too professional
- performs well in low light situations (=most concerts)
- has enough optical zoom (at least 20x)
- has batteries that can can be recharged and changed
- an input for external mics would be great, but the camcorder should power the mics (I don't want to use a battery box)

I hope to get some good recommendations. Thanks!

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Camcorder recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:35:58 PM »
There's a Canon camcorder in the yard sale that hits pretty much all of your points (except mic power). Get a $15 USB adapter from Amazon so you can use a power bank and you're good to go.

You're not going to find a camcorder that puts out enough volts to power the mics we use. You can run the stereo out from your deck to the camera though.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline webvan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 03:24:03 AM »
Depending on what "digital Panasonic camera" you have it's possible that 30' limit can be extended ;-) It's a US ZS100 for instance. If it's a European TZ-100 like mine you're OOL though :-(

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 04:56:49 AM »
Depending on what "digital Panasonic camera" you have it's possible that 30' limit can be extended ;-)

Some of them, such as the Panasonic G7, have easy to do "hacks" which remove the limit. Others like the Panasonic GH5 never had the limit!

Honestly Panasonic the very best brand when it comes to buying stills camera with unlimited recording lengths that also don't overheat. (looking at you Canon and Sony!!!!)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »
I bought the Panasonic G85 recently.  Recorded for 2 1/2 hours straight in 4k.  No hack needed.  Just press the red button, then kickback and laugh.

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »
I bought the Panasonic G85 recently.  Recorded for 2 1/2 hours straight in 4k.  No hack needed.  Just press the red button, then kickback and laugh.

Only issue with this & similar style cameras is they look like a a Pro 35mm camera. If it "looks" pro or has a detachable lens you can't go into most arenas.
The little innocent looking ZS100 with a 1" sensor that shoots 4K can get in every time!
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:09:51 AM »

Only issue with this & similar style cameras is they look like a a Pro 35mm camera. If it "looks" pro or has a detachable lens you can't go into most arenas.
The little innocent looking ZS100 with a 1" sensor that shoots 4K can get in every time!

I don't use my cameras strictly for concerts.  I've enjoyed photography since I was a kid.  I own a ZS-100, but the G85 is a very nice upgrade and fun to use.  Mirrorless is an amazing technology.   I'm still keeping the ZS-100 because its quick P&S ability and portability.  I also own a GoPro Hero7, that I use for car trips.  The 4k video on the G85 is excellent.  That said, I have clubs down here in South Florida that will let me in with the G85.  Plenty of opportunities.  I wouldn't bother bringing it to big shows at big arenas.  I rather record the audio for those shows and let the big production companies do the pro-filming (nugs, livephish).  My 2 cents.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 09:18:55 AM »
I wouldn't bother bringing it to big shows at big arenas.  I rather record the audio for those shows and let the big production companies do the pro-filming (nugs, livephish).

I've been to hundreds and hundreds of arena concerts in my lifetime, and I only know of a couple of them that were professionally filmed (and released).  Is that becoming the norm?
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »
I wouldn't bother bringing it to big shows at big arenas.  I rather record the audio for those shows and let the big production companies do the pro-filming (nugs, livephish).

I've been to hundreds and hundreds of arena concerts in my lifetime, and I only know of a couple of them that were professionally filmed (and released).  Is that becoming the norm?

yup   https://nugs.tv/

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »

That link is mostly about webcasts that are performed for virtual audiences ... so there is no option to record the audio yourself at the venue.  Not to mention, most of them are filmed at small venues (Ardmore Music Hall, Stubb's BBQ, El Mocambo, etc.) -- so they are not "big shows at big arenas."

I stand by my original statement: very few big arena concerts are professionally filmed and made available.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »

That link is mostly about webcasts that are performed for virtual audiences ... so there is no option to record the audio yourself at the venue.  Not to mention, most of them are filmed at small venues (Ardmore Music Hall, Stubb's BBQ, El Mocambo, etc.) -- so they are not "big shows at big arenas."

I stand by my original statement: very few big arena concerts are professionally filmed and made available.

good luck with that.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
There's a Canon camcorder in the yard sale that hits pretty much all of your points (except mic power). Get a $15 USB adapter from Amazon so you can use a power bank and you're good to go.

You're not going to find a camcorder that puts out enough volts to power the mics we use. You can run the stereo out from your deck to the camera though.
not sure what one it is but I have a Canon r___ and love it
Has mic in for live “dubbing” if you do audio too
Price for features can’t be beat
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com