Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 126843 times)

Offline soulsirkus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
I bought the R-07 and recorded some loud rock shows directly with the R-07, so without external mics. I found that all my recordings were distorted, even when I put the input level at 5. Finally, I put the input on 1 and activated the limiter and then I got good results, although very bass heavy. Am I doing something wrong here?

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #376 on: November 05, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
Perhaps you should use external mics, with a battery box or a pre-amp. 

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »
I bought the R-07 and recorded some loud rock shows directly with the R-07, so without external mics. I found that all my recordings were distorted, even when I put the input level at 5. Finally, I put the input on 1 and activated the limiter and then I got good results, although very bass heavy. Am I doing something wrong here?

The internal mics on the R-07 won't be capable of handling high SPLs.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
just wanted to mention that i used my R-07 last night for the first time at a show with walkthrough metal detectors where people who set it off were pulled aside for wanding, and i didn't set it off at all when walking through, so no wanding. the R-07 must be mostly plastic.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Looks like it's only the red one. Also only Prime. Not my preference but I may need to snag this. Still researching a bit. Will this pair well with most stealth 3.5" mics or is a preamp/battery box still needed for high SPL's? I'm new to a stealth rig. Looks like some popular battery boxes are no longer for sale. If I picked this up today, what do I need to kit it up for rock concerts etc? I'm thinking in the 3.5mm microphone category of course. Thanks for any tips.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:15:26 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
Looks like it's only the red one. Also only Prime. Not my preference but I may need to snag this. Still researching a bit. Will this pair well with most stealth 3.5" mics or is a preamp/battery box still needed for high SPL's? I'm new to a stealth rig. Looks like some popular battery boxes are no longer for sale. If I picked this up today, what do I need to kit it up for rock concerts etc? I'm thinking in the 3.5mm microphone category of course. Thanks for any tips.

I believe recordings of loud rock shows have been successfully made with just the R-07 and 4.7k modded mics...it may have been discussed earlier in this thread.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »
I ended up buying a red one. Couldn't resist the sale price. Still need to find some stealth mics to go with it. Any suggestions?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #383 on: December 05, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
I ended up buying a red one. Couldn't resist the sale price. Still need to find some stealth mics to go with it. Any suggestions?

AT853 cards are pretty sweet.  I think you can get them from Sound Pros with the 4.7k mod, but don't quote me on that.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #384 on: December 06, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »

AT853 cards are pretty sweet.  I think you can get them from Sound Pros with the 4.7k mod, but don't quote me on that.

They are, and you can:

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U

$244 when you add the low-sensitivity option, which is the 4.7k mod.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #385 on: December 07, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »

They are, and you can:

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U

$244 when you add the low-sensitivity option, which is the 4.7k mod.

Thanks. The unit came in today! The 853’s look promising. I will have to research and find some samples. I would also like to use them for things like a comedy show. Where the SPL may not be as high as a rock show. I guess the safe bet is to kit up to be ready for 100+dB or whatever. I will have to delve into stealthing techniques. I don’t wear hats or glasses. I was kind of thinking about inside of a shirt collar. I assume the 853’s aren’t as small as some higher end discreet mics. Any comment on size for being low key? Wanting not an issue I assume as well. Will be interesting to finally tackle some of this.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #386 on: December 07, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »
1. Might be best to move this to PM's.
2. Schoeps caps of your choice  > active cables > preamp > R-07 ftw!
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
I received my R-07. I brought it to a show. I was running full multitrack, a 4 track aud/sbd and popped this on the railing of FOH for shits an giggles. Set some arbitrary levels. I was completely expecting it to be distorted. It was a mild show but I didn't check db's at all. To my surprise the tracks were very listenable and contained plenty of content above 20khz. A surprising amount. The noise floor was low compared to other low end recorders. Not that I have much experience with them. There does appear to be some high frequency dither like noise added or at least picked up with this test. The stereo imaging was lacking in terms of overall width. Not too surprising. I do wish it didn't have three different red lights on it. Of course I also bought the red one with the recent $50 off sale. So it's not stealthy out in the open at all. Not having great luck with very quick iPhone X pairing but it connected to my car for playback which is kind of neat. The battery life seem fantastic too. This thing is pretty neat. I think I will actually get some use of it in cooperate video work for room tone and the like.

Offline Laurent

• Taperssection Newbie
  • >:D Ninja
« Reply #388 on: December 16, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
I think I made a mistake. I ordered a R-07 to replace my JB3 based on reputation of the R-05 alone and learned through a fellow taper about the absence of line in input. I am a profane in technical question but hoped to run my CMC-4 with the CA-9100 into it. I need the 9100 at least to convert from mini-XLR to mini-Jack but couldn't find in this thread if my gear is actually proper to plug in the R-07.

Would it mean that I will have to go through trials in order to find the correct level out of the CA-9100? (I think it is a gain button)
Will the quality of the sound be impacted compared to another solution? (I can return it and pick a Zoom F1 no problem)
Would I get a superior result in picking a mini-XLR>mini-Jack converter and trust the R-07 internal preamp? (I wanted to order the least amount of gear possible as I just ninja a few concerts a year)

The thing looks so perfect on paper that I find it a shame that Roland skipped a normal line in input for versatility.
Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 AT853 (c/h/o) > Church Audio CA-9100 > Zoom F1
Stock UA-5

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »
Hi all,
I taped a show at the weekend using a line input. I’ve used the same line from the mixing desk previously - really good results but this time no so much.

I did a dual recording and it didn’t go anywhere near overloading on the meters. Both recordings are heavily distorted however. Interesting that the same level of distortion is on both versions of the recording, although obviously one is recorded at a lower volume.

So....is it likely this was an issue with the feed being overloaded before it got to the recorder? I’m thinking this is most likely.

Or....my paranoid mind - a case of something not working as it should in relation to the ‘mic/aux in’ input?

I’d like to believe it’s a case of there being nothing I could’ve done, especially as this was fine before on several occasions - same location, same equipment, same circumstances, cables were fine etc...

Sound guy’s fault or recorder fault? Thoughts?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com