Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 126823 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #405 on: January 08, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »
Maybe a counterfeit card?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #406 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »
I mentioned the Panasonic because that is one that is explicitly mentioned as incompatible. The Sandisk Extreme I mentioned is the card I was using. You're correct. The more I thought about it I think this card came from my pile of micro SD's I've used with various cameras. It did come with an 8GB card. I will be running more tests to make sure I find cards I can count on. I'm still letting a test roll right now. 1 hour in and it's still rolling. It had given multiple messages about the card being slow but has seemed to have stopped showing it recently. I'm definitely used to this type of card being very fast and reliable but I guess this one is failing. It shouldn't have much use on it. Just one of those things I guess.

Another odd thing I'm noticing is the deck is randomly lighting up the display very intermittently. Just for a second or two.

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #407 on: January 09, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
So far testing with another card is looking pretty good. I'm wondering now if the Sandisk I had was somehow counterfeit. Working with the 8GB it came with everything is seeming stable so far. So that's a relief. This thing is really handy and surprisingly good sounding on it's own. Now I just need to find a good hat to get myself wired up. edit: also I am not positive but after some testing yesterday and today I think this deck lights up the LCD blue when there are write errors. Maybe not but yesterday I was having that happen intermittently testing with and without USB power. Today with a new card it's been running perfectly and hasn't done it once.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:15:48 AM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #408 on: January 09, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
So far testing with another card is looking pretty good. I'm wondering now if the Sandisk I had was somehow counterfeit. Working with the 8GB it came with everything is seeming stable so far. So that's a relief. This thing is really handy and surprisingly good sounding on it's own. Now I just need to find a good hat to get myself wired up. edit: also I am not positive but after some testing yesterday and today I think this deck lights up the LCD blue when there are write errors. Maybe not but yesterday I was having that happen intermittently testing with and without USB power. Today with a new card it's been running perfectly and hasn't done it once.
There are a lot of counterfeit Sandisk cards out there. I had one for a while in my Surface Pro, 128gb, and it was just a source of inconsistency and pure hell until I tried swapping it out with a reliable 128gb card and all my issues went away. It sounds like that may have been your issue too. Good luck!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline gaoping561

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #409 on: January 16, 2019, 08:07:13 AM »
The quality of the button of Roland R07 is terrible, the key 'menu' cannot works after I get only one month; They give a new one instead after I return it to repair, but the new one still has some keys no response sometimes.

Offline Records

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #410 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
So how does the noise of the mic/line-in compare with the Sony M10 (and new A10)? Can anyone confirm again whether you can actually monitor the audio with bluetooth headphones while it's recording too? I was told earlier that it can't, but I've been reading elsewhere that you actually can.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #411 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
I’ve recorded ‘line level’ inputs and it’s been fine for several and one it was overloaded. No noticeable noise that would be of concern - actually think it’s pretty clean sounding. I haven’t yet used it with mics or a battery box/pre-amp.

Don’t think ‘unity gain’ has yet be established.

I notice occasionally if I put a cable in the audio ‘stutters’ sometimes (e.g. drops out every 2 seconds or so) and has to be restarted to get a clean input - I imagine a bug - has anyone else experienced this?

It needs a firmware update - a ‘service’ menu is needed where you can turn off the lights and either knock down the power to the input or actually select ‘line in’ as it seems like the input is a bit of ‘combo’ thing - mic/line/aux.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline gaoping561

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:57 AM »
So how does the noise of the mic/line-in compare with the Sony M10 (and new A10)? Can anyone confirm again whether you can actually monitor the audio with bluetooth headphones while it's recording too? I was told earlier that it can't, but I've been reading elsewhere that you actually can.

It has the capability to monitor audio through bluetooth. Sony A10 ,D10 cannot do that.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2019, 12:00:55 AM »
anyone able to clarify this for me?

"Bluetooth wireless headphone and speaker monitoring"

does that mean that you can record to the R-07 in your bag but monitor your recording with AirPods or some other blutooth headphones?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline banjoboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »
I need Recording from Behringer Mixer to R-07 for Dummies. I want to record the performance of a four-piece bluegrass band playing/singing into microphones connected to a Behringer X-Air X-18. Roland product support document “R-07: Connecting an External Audio Device or Mixer for Recording” says that such recording can be done, using appropriate adapter cables, from a mixer with ¼” outputs, XLR outputs, and/or RCA outputs by following this procedure:

1.     Turn up the volume to the external audio device.
2.     Press the red Record button on the R-07 so that it flashes red.
3.     Begin sending or playing audio from the external audio device.
For example: if an audio mixer with microphones is connected, begin singing or playing into the microphones. [This would be done during the sound check.]
4.     Use the INPUT + and - buttons to adjust the input level on the screen so that the audio source averages between "12" and "6" on the meter.
5.     Press the REC button a second time to begin recording.
6.     Press STOP to stop recording.
7.     Press PLAY to hear the recording.
https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015066511-R-07-Connecting-an-External-Audio-Device-or-Mixer-for-Recording-

I don’t understand “Turn up the volume TO the external audio device.” What volume control are they talking about, and is a soundboard operator likely to let me adjust it? Should that say OF or FROM the external audio device?

The pictures accompanying the Roland article show R&L (mono) Master Out for the ¼”, R&L Main Output for the XLR, and R&L Line Out for the RCA.   I do not see ¼” Master Out on the Behringer, and the R&L Main Outs would be in use. I am left with the RCA’s. Is that correct? (Although someone in this discussion group recorded from an XLR out with R-07 input volume set at one. I would be interested in knowing what XLR out.) Roland Support said: “It’s recommended to connect to a mixer that is sending “line level” [Which out? Is RCA out line level?] and not have the mixer sending its maximum output level, as this could distort the input of an audio device such as the R-07. Please refer to the soundboard’s owner’s manual or ask the soundboard operator if they are sending a line level signal that’s not maxed out. An attenuator is not needed if the above is followed.”

But discussion on TS says I can’t record from a mixer to the R-07 without an attenuator.

Somebody I spoke with at Guitar Center knew nothing about attenuators (the store doesn’t carry them) and advised recording from headphone out.

If I can record from RCA outs and simply adjust the input level on the R-07, I am ok. If I need an attenuator, I will appreciate knowing what attenuator might work, what cables to get to run into and out of the attenuator, and where to patch into the Behringer if not into RCA. Will also appreciate any other clarification of my ignorance.

Thanks. Banjoboy. (raw rookie)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #415 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:41 AM »
you should be able to turn the output down on the mixer. put the r-07 at midpoint on the levels and adjust output on mixer

if your output is too high on the mixer, you'll know as your input levels on the r07 will be set really low to keep the levels reasonable
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #416 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
1.     Turn up the volume to the external audio device.

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015066511-R-07-Connecting-an-External-Audio-Device-or-Mixer-for-Recording-

I don’t understand “Turn up the volume TO the external audio device.” What volume control are they talking about, and is a soundboard operator likely to let me adjust it? Should that say OF or FROM the external audio device?

Thanks. Banjoboy. (raw rookie)

Because the possibilities of an external device are endless, Roland is talking generically, and all they are saying is to make sure there is an output signal from the output of whatever device you are wanting to record the signal from. Again with those possibilities being endless, some devices may have too strong a signal and some may not have a signal strong enough. Usually there are ways to deal with those issues though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:04:47 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »
The R-07 should work ok for recording from a mixer using the headset out or RCA outs. These are consumer level outputs (-10db). If you want to record from a mixer using XLR or 1/4 outs you really are going to need a 20db attenuator. The output from mixers is typically pro level  (+4db) and it's very likely it will overwhelm the R-07. It doesnt matter how low you go on the volume on the R-07 in this scenario, the volume is too high for the input.

A disclaimer is that If the output from the mixer is done via a matrix where the output level can be reduced then you may be able to get away with using balanced outs, but the outputs I often get are copies of the Main out and the volume is whatever volume is going to the PA.  Realistically it comes down to using attenuators.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:23:10 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline banjoboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »
If you got away with a board feed to a R-07 without attenuators you were lucky  or getting the feed from RCA outs, etc.
Is there something wrong with getting feed from RCA outs, etc.? Are results generally better from XLR or 1/4 outs requiring 20db attenuator? Pro level output gives better results? Behringer Support said, "Based on the specifications of the Roland R-07's Mic/Aux In, the RCA outputs of the X18 would be a great place to take your audio from.  I would use a cable that has left and right RCA jacks at one end, terminating to a stereo 1/8" jack."
What is the "etc," pls, in "getting the feed from RCA outs, etc."?

Offline banjoboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »
If you got away with a board feed to a R-07 without attenuators you were lucky  or getting the feed from RCA outs, etc.

Used a stereo XLR to mini cable
What XLR out from board did you use, pls?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com