Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 126802 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #420 on: February 13, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
You might want to take a look at the XR18.   https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital/XR18/p/P0BI8

It has XLR outputs and a 1/4 stereo headphone jack.  Also has a USB port for multitrack recording directly into a PC which would be my first choice if I were going to record something from an XR18.  Otherwise, you're going to have to take a feed from the headphone jack into your 07 or take a mix from one or two of the XLR aux sends--after a mix by whoever is running the XR18.  The level of the mix affects whether you really need attenuators or not. 

Offline banjoboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #421 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:36 AM »
You might want to take a look at the XR18.   https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital/XR18/p/P0BI8

It has XLR outputs and a 1/4 stereo headphone jack.  Also has a USB port for multitrack recording directly into a PC which would be my first choice if I were going to record something from an XR18.  Otherwise, you're going to have to take a feed from the headphone jack into your 07 or take a mix from one or two of the XLR aux sends--after a mix by whoever is running the XR18.  The level of the mix affects whether you really need attenuators or not.

Thx for info. X18 is a little different from XR18 in your pic. The 18 has RCA outs. Also has "CONTROL ROOM button (X18 only) determines whether the main mix or headphone/solo signal is routed to the RCA OUT jacks." If I used RCA outs, would I want main or headphone/solo? (Don't know what that is.) Thx.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #422 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »
If you got away with a board feed to a R-07 without attenuators you were lucky  or getting the feed from RCA outs, etc.
Is there something wrong with getting feed from RCA outs, etc.? Are results generally better from XLR or 1/4 outs requiring 20db attenuator? Pro level output gives better results? Behringer Support said, "Based on the specifications of the Roland R-07's Mic/Aux In, the RCA outputs of the X18 would be a great place to take your audio from.  I would use a cable that has left and right RCA jacks at one end, terminating to a stereo 1/8" jack."
What is the "etc," pls, in "getting the feed from RCA outs, etc."?

RCA outs should be ok as long a the cable is short (ie a couple of feet). XLR/TRS is a better solution in terms of minimizing noise, especially for cables of any length. You can use 100 foot XLR cable with no added noise but a RCA cable of that length would start to be an issue.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #423 on: February 16, 2019, 08:40:08 PM »
Sorry.  Didn't notice you are dealing with an X18 that has RCAs.   If someone else is controlling the X18, you are dependent on what they output over the RCAs.  Could be the greatest or something else.  What goes out over the RCA depends on what channels they route to the RCA, and how much of each channel they send.  Could be a balanced, even mix or not.  It depends on the person operating the X18.  They could be really expert and give you a great mix. 

Do you have the option of going to the soundcheck, trying a recording and then listening to see if it's going to work for you?

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2019, 10:34:41 PM »
What's unity gain on the R-07?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »
The loud concert ‘scene’ sets the input at 20 I think? So I’m guessing (sorry) that unity gain is somewhere around that.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2019, 11:20:54 PM »
The loud concert ‘scene’ sets the input at 20 I think? So I’m guessing (sorry) that unity gain is somewhere around that.

i'm going to do my own tests, but that's good info and a good place to start.  thanks.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2019, 11:11:37 PM »
has anyone experienced buttons not working on a new unit right out of the box? picked up a second R-07 the other day and of the 4 directional buttons around the record button, 3 of them work (up, left, down) but right is not registering. makes it a pain in the ass to format a new card because you have to press right for that (to go from no to yes). was able to get it to go to yes and format the card after a minute or two of pressing all directional buttons and finally getting lucky, but in general pressing the right button does not work. not sure if it's worth the hassle of shipping it back and getting a replacement for this alone. i should rarely, if ever, have to use the right button again now that the card is formatted. just wondering if this is a common issue or a one-off type of defect.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2019, 11:55:52 PM »
i have 2 of these and will be putting one up on yard sale soon now that i have the SPDR. holler if you want it
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »
Time to lock this one up
Here is the link to Part 2:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=post;board=11.0
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com