Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps cmc1 l matched pair?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
Schoeps cmc1 l matched pair?
« on: December 29, 2023, 06:45:18 PM »
I'm looking to get a pair of cmc1 (lemo) mic bodies. Do you know if they do matched pairs or is sequential numbered the best option?

Does anyone regret upgrading at all? I'm pretty attached to my cmc6 kc5 set, but there are times size matters.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Schoeps cmc1 l matched pair?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 07:18:20 PM »
bodies should be bodies
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »
I believe the only thing they match are the capsules but I have been wrong many times in the past.

The form factor of the CMC1L is top notch IMO. I never ran Schoeps full sized bodies but I feel great about my purchase every time I set up the mics. Nbobs are nice too and I happily own them.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 02:07:30 PM »
Capsules vary more than amplifiers do, so special pair selection is done only on capsules. (That's true for Neumann as well as for Schoeps, incidentally.)

My own recording has been quite limited since the pandemic began, but I've had no regrets changing over from the CMC 6 and CMC 5. It's been very nearly 50 years since Colette cables were introduced; there were no cell phones back then. Active extension devices are distinctly better at avoiding signal losses and warding off interference than passive extensions, but they're unbalanced. In any environment where interference is a threat (which is nearly all environments nowadays), it's safer to connect the capsule directly to the amplifier, then run a balanced, very low-impedance signal down the cable.

I've sold off several of my Colette cables, and will probably keep just one as a souvenir. I've never had any audible interference, but the RF environment keeps getting more and more intense.

--best regards

P.S.: maybe now it's clear why for years here, I've asked people to please not use the word "active" when referring to passive extensions? Active extensions have, um, active circuitry in them that drastically lowers the impedance of the signal coming out of the capsule. transforming it into a safe, much lower range where it isn't nearly as subject to losses and interference.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 06:34:41 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 10:30:42 AM »
I would assume they are all very similar, as long as they are manufactured in the same time frame. Thanks for your input guys.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 10:37:02 AM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 10:17:44 PM »
I would assume they are all very similar, as long as they are manufactured in the same time frame. Thanks for your input guys.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on for wind screens if you go this route?  The short bodies make the options a little less obvious to me...but I'm not up to date on what's out there anymore.

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 12:02:09 AM »
the movos with the rubber collar at the base grab these. wont fully seat an axial-address capsule and im not sure if an air pocket in front of the capsule affects response. ive only used them with side-address and they work great

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 12:43:32 PM »
An air pocket in front of the capsule is exactly what's wanted for maximum effectiveness with minimum effect on sound quality.

[Edited two months later to add: Uh-oh, I see now that what I wrote here was potentially quite misleading, mainly because of the "in front of" part.

This goes back to the two rather separate problems of shielding a directional capsule from "popping" (from close-up vocal sources at whom the mike is specifically aimed) vs. wind (which can be much stronger and create a much more complex array of forces on all sides of the capsule). The optimal solution for the one problem is NOT generally the optimal solution to the other.

For windscreens for directional capsules, the volume of still air around the capsule must include the sides of the capsule just as much as the front. Thus windscreens used by professionals tend to be quite a bit larger, enclosing the entire microphone.

Small, teardrop-shaped foam popscreens with hollow interiors (Schoeps B 5 D) definitely affect the sound quality less than comparable-sized solid popscreens. But they're designed primarily for close-miking vocals, in situations where some wind may be present but isn't as great a concern. Using them for wind protection with more distant miking is a huge gamble. You can reduce your risk somewhat by using a larger, hollow foam windscreen (Schoeps W 5 D). But again, these small constructions are effective only in mild to ~moderate wind as in a partial enclosure outdoors -- see for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnS8n0l6fuo . For "fully exposed" outdoor recording, often you really don't know what might come up, so to avoid ruined takes, you go for larger constructions and less regularly-shaped exterior surfaces--which unfortunately can become quite elaborate and expensive.

The directional pattern of the capsule/microphone gets into the equation as well. People who use capsules with patterns more toward the "omni" end of the spectrum are in safer territory to begin with, by as much as 10-15 dB or more; the membrane has higher physical tension, and in a pure pressure transducer the only opening to the membrane is generally at the front of the capsule, or at any rate along only one surface.]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 06:28:29 AM by DSatz »

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 04:20:00 PM »
the movos with the rubber collar at the base grab these. wont fully seat an axial-address capsule and im not sure if an air pocket in front of the capsule affects response. ive only used them with side-address and they work great

Thanks for the response.  I've got a pair of smaller sized movo's...the version that has material on the outside, not fur.  Mine are smallish, but not the smallest...they're kinda oval shaped.  Think I'll pick up a pair of the smallest version...those that are more round shaped.  That should do me for anything I'll need present or future.

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 05:40:39 AM »
See these tests:

https://drbadphil.com/small-windshields

I have the Movos and they work well but would have chosen differently if I had read this first.
waves -> bits

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 12:12:17 PM »
See these tests:

https://drbadphil.com/small-windshields

I have the Movos and they work well but would have chosen differently if I had read this first.

Thanks for the link.  FWIW, I think his test was a valid one, but I'm not so sure about his conclusions.  To my way of thinking, the differences he observed in the test were less a function of the brands and price of screen that he comped, but the fact that all three of those systems were a completely different windscreen design.  A nylon exterior screen is a different screen design from a fur screen, which again is a different beast from a ball gag design. 

I have the nylon Movos and also have a pair of Rycotes but they're like six inches long and too big for most of my needs.  After reading this comp, I'll probably go with 3 cm long fur Movo's, though I've that some people in the past have experienced the Movo furs shedding.

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 08:25:36 PM »
I use dpa ua0896 with my kc5's now... I'm sure it will work. I'll have to modify my kwon bars at work for the lemo cable size. I'm a machinist so no prob....

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 08:30:45 PM »
An air pocket in front of the capsule is exactly what's wanted for maximum effectiveness with minimum effect on sound quality.
is the internal space inside a side-address capsule sufficient to achieve this effect when using the typical windscreens that fit tight to the side of the capsule?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 09:16:24 PM »
is the internal space inside a side-address capsule sufficient to achieve this effect when using the typical windscreens that fit tight to the side of the capsule?

Yes.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 12:33:49 AM »
In different situations there can be an enormous range of wind strength and turbulence. No one solution can possibly be optimal for all cases. People who record outdoors professionally tend to have a range of different windscreens on hand, and they use whatever's required by the given conditions.

In the sound track for a feature film, for example, you can't afford to have any audible wind noise, so sound mixers lean toward greater suppression. If that ends up dulling the sound, they equalize the best they can. Some shotgun mikes have treble boost switches for exactly that purpose, or a more precise job can be done in post, but the sound mixer always likes to turn in a track that needs as little touching up as possible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:24:14 PM by DSatz »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com