Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: multitrack field recording -- need advice/opinions MR8-HD?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline sailcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
multitrack field recording -- need advice/opinions MR8-HD?
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:26:21 PM »
I'm trying to put together a very compact, inexpensive, easy-to-use rig to record West African percussion groups in indoor and outdoor settings. Much of the work will be in the US, but some will be in Africa, so power can be an issue -- it will need to be able to run on some kind of battery setup.  I need to be able to record at least 4 simultaneous tracks for mixing and mastering, which could take place on a computer.

Has anyone had any experience with the Fostex MR-8HD?  It's the lowest-cost muiltitracker that can do 4 at once, and I've had good experience with Fostex before. I need to keep the cost down to afford to do the work, so I realize there will be compromises, I'm just tring to minimize them.

Any suggestions anyone can offer are welcome.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: multitrack field recording -- need advice/opinions MR8-HD?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:56:28 AM »
Suggest considering an alternative aproach that has proven results.  The customers I know who do this kind of recording use 2 channel stereo-surround windscreened mic with (usually with Sharp) MD, or most found much better with Sony PCM-M1 DAT, and some most recently using Microtrack 24/96, usually battery powering the deck with external powering sled.  This approach is way more practical for field recording, and proven more consistent in capturing excellent quality live music than multitrack mic methods regardless of budget.

Samples of ethnic music recordings done in this manner with photos, and production notes are found at: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

kirk97132

Re: multitrack field recording -- need advice/opinions MR8-HD?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
one problem is you are limited to 1:39:59 recording time per "song block".  Time to switch "songs" or tracks as I would call them is pretty quick but you will definitatly lose something if you are trying to do it on the fly.  Plus there is the 120 AC power isue.  I'd go with something battery powered if I were you, kirk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com