Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100891 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2006, 01:16:22 PM »
those look nice
but i agree with tim too
on the other hand,(if i understand this stuff right) i personally think it would be better to have a box that acts as bodies, like the jk box vs a box thats a pre too
that way you could use any pre you wanted

edit, actually i think the best would be just cables where you used the "real" 480 bodies and so it went like this
cap > active cable > body > cable > pre
i think that would be smaller overall compaired to a box but maybe i am wrong

I would have to agree here, just think if a battery box/pre were painstakingly engineered and manufactured, but nobody liked the way it sounded, that would be a disaster, and since hardly anyone agrees on which flavor of preamp they like best its likely to happen
thats what i was trying to say, just not so well :)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2006, 01:22:26 PM »
those look nice
but i agree with tim too
on the other hand,(if i understand this stuff right) i personally think it would be better to have a box that acts as bodies, like the jk box vs a box thats a pre too

edit, actually i think the best would be just cables where you used the "real" 480 bodies and so it went like this

I would have to agree here, just think if a battery box/pre were painstakingly engineered and manufactured, but nobody liked the way it sounded, that would be a disaster, and since hardly anyone agrees on which flavor of preamp they like best its likely to happen
thats what i was trying to say, just not so well :)

in the end, there is probably no better match for the ck line of caps than the 480 body, just add an active cable to pair them remotely, what could be simpler and more natural

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »
those look nice
but i agree with tim too

Don't hold your breath. That isn't likely to happen.

It is done with Schoeps because the schoeps bodies are *designed* for it.  They have extra connectors.  Those connectors are fed extra power for the buffer circuit.

The MG bodies are not designed for this.  They do not have extra connectors. They do not supply power for a buffer circuit.  Someone would need to design a cable with a battery to feed the buffer circuit, etc.  I don't have AKGs so I can't look to see if they are the same way but I'm guessing they are.

I would like to see a solution that consists of a tiny box that supplies the capsules with 48v (via pass-thru) and contains a buffer circuit ala sonsosax. It could be much smaller than an nbox because it would not contain the batteries to supply 60v, nor the 9volt batteries. It would not generate 48v (though maybe a special version would). The 48v would come from the upstream pre-amp.  This should be a very simple circuit and very cheap.

I've done a little work on this but haven't had much time (and spring is coming..).

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2006, 02:19:11 PM »
those look nice
but i agree with tim too

Don't hold your breath. That isn't likely to happen.

It is done with Schoeps because the schoeps bodies are *designed* for it.  They have extra connectors.  Those connectors are fed extra power for the buffer circuit.

The MG bodies are not designed for this.  They do not have extra connectors. They do not supply power for a buffer circuit.  Someone would need to design a cable with a battery to feed the buffer circuit, etc.  I don't have AKGs so I can't look to see if they are the same way but I'm guessing they are.

I would like to see a solution that consists of a tiny box that supplies the capsules with 48v (via pass-thru) and contains a buffer circuit ala sonsosax. It could be much smaller than an nbox because it would not contain the batteries to supply 60v, nor the 9volt batteries. It would not generate 48v (though maybe a special version would). The 48v would come from the upstream pre-amp.  This should be a very simple circuit and very cheap.

I've done a little work on this but haven't had much time (and spring is coming..).

Yep, a good starting point.  48V should work (and appears to be used on the Sonosax), but to run *properly* you will need 60V.  Anyway, I'm all for starting out simple with a "pass through" circuit.

I'm going to buy a set of caps (soon!) and experiment.  But, as I said ealier, no need to ask here.  If *anything* happens, you'll hear it hear first...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »
in the end, there is probably no better match for the ck line of caps than the 480 body, just add an active cable to pair them remotely, what could be simpler and more natural

JW Mod 460 bodies  8)
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »
So I'm assuming that inside these collette heads Nick or someone else is going to build a FET to match up with the cap.  If thats the case then i'd probably want a pair with lemo connectors on the other end and try to run it with the sonosax sx-m2/ls2.  The sonosax lemosax can run any pair of mic capsules with a fet at the capsule end, so AT853's, franken naks, schoeps with any actives, KM140's with any actives, AKG ck91,92,93 caps, ect...

If someone put a FET in with this i'd be very very interested.  Just a thought too if the box becomes an option some people don't want
mics & cameras

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »
hewllo all, i am new to the thread but have chatted with Matt recently about MK46's etc. i do own three of the CK8X capsules that use the MK46. unfortunately i only have 2 of the MK46 cables. i would love to get a third cable - either AKG oem or something from this project. anyway on page ten i saw this post:

Just a note to grider's mention of the ck1x and mk46 cable being useful for the cable to connect the capsule to the 480's.  In fact niether of these items would be useful, the mk46 cable will not work with the 480, it has different connections and a different anchor (which the 480 is missing) so if one were to model the new one after the mk46 it would not work.

will, i am not so sure about all the discussions about the "bias" ring. the reality is that my schematics show that ring not connected to anything in the 460 electronics. plus when the MK46 is screwed onto the 460 body, the threaded housing contacts the 460 body as well as the "bias" ring. i believe that akg used it for a second shield (note that the MK46 cable is triaxial in construction) to eliminate as much RFI/EMI as possible from the umbilicle cable. if you look at the german schemo for the MK46 cable, they call the two outer wires in the cable SCREENS - an old term for ground. one would have to check to see if the corresponding capsule end is actually connected after the LEMO connector or if they left it floating (as is done in many car and home RCA cables) to provide extra shielding...

anyway, i dunno if this has been covered previously. if so, my apologies. just trying to assist. has anyone tried to order the plastic insert at the end of the 460 body?? unfortunately my experience with AKG have been universally hideous (paid for 2 new diaphrams for the ck8's - was told i must send my MK46's and 460's cause they don't have any in repair, then come to find out the work was never done, yet they billed me and refused to take them back and fix them). i have a wonderful relation with sennheiser usa, dwight and uber, so as much as i like the akg's i am biased toward sennheiser.

btw, sennheiser MKE-2, as well as the ME20/40/60/88's all use a FET in the capsule and they work with only two wires - of course they are electret capsules.....

if i can contribute in any way to this project, please let me know. i do have as couple of excellent machinist friends... maybe get them to do this as a CNC project to make it affordable. i need both ends of an MK46. seems to me you guys are all pretty much after the capsule end only.

neil in san diego
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline TaperBryan

• "Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time"
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2006, 09:21:35 PM »
Wow!  Nice Work!  When these AKG N-Boxs are ready to be sold, sign me up!

i agree! +T!
09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »
I wonder how it would sound to put say a Scheops capsule on an AKG body or visa/versa. Anybody follow me here?
Like find a cheap active sytem that works and put another manufacturers capsules on it. MBHO has an active system, but I don't care for the sound of the capsules... I wonder how hard it would be to make an adaptor to fit the various different microphone manufacturers caps on the already existing active set-ups.

Just a thought...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »
i would think that would be extremely hard if not impossible.
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2006, 01:09:21 PM »
i would think that would be extremely hard if not impossible.

Have you ever engineered anything that numerous people in the field said was impossible?

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2006, 08:04:07 PM »
no, have you?
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2006, 10:29:06 PM »
not for nothing, but didnt freelunch make scheops actives from goosenecks?  thats an achievement in my book  ;D
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2006, 09:26:24 AM »
no, have you?

Yes.. My point with the comment was to forward the notion that you cannot accomplish the impossible unless you are willing to risk failure by attempting the impossible. People telling you that your plans/project are impossible is great motivation. Though the best ideas are often derided as impossible when proposed and then dismissed as obvious upon success.

The schoeps gooseneck actives project was a nice hack but not near the level of 'impossible'. Though I added some additional pressure because I went public with what I was doing way before the outcome was assured.

An adaptor that allowed the schoeps active cables to take MG caps would be pretty slick..

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2006, 10:11:10 AM »
There is an adaptor available to use the older Neumann caps (including the LD ones) on the AKG 451 series mics.  There is a guy in England who machines them. Im sure there are other possibilities for different mics/caps combinations if people checked into it and wanted to do the R & D.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com