Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100973 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2006, 09:50:23 AM »
I've never heard the direct comparison recordings either. I have an idea in my head what the differences are, but it would be nice to hear a valid comparison.

For that matter it would be interesting to hear the differences between ToddR's 480 active set-up and my full bodied 480's.
Has a comp like that ever been done?

ToodR does NOT have an active 480 setup.  He has an active ck6x setup.  Big difference.    FWIW, I believe the JW mods bring the speed of the 460's up close to the 480's.  I am biased and still prefer the 480 bodies but different ears hear diferent things.

Does anyone have a 480 active setup? I always thought they were CK6x active setups.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
I've never heard the direct comparison recordings either. I have an idea in my head what the differences are, but it would be nice to hear a valid comparison.

For that matter it would be interesting to hear the differences between ToddR's 480 active set-up and my full bodied 480's.
Has a comp like that ever been done?

ToodR does NOT have an active 480 setup.  He has an active ck6x setup.  Big difference.    FWIW, I believe the JW mods bring the speed of the 460's up close to the 480's.  I am biased and still prefer the 480 bodies but different ears hear diferent things.

Does anyone have a 480 active setup? I always thought they were CK6x active setups.

No AKG 480 active setup exists.  The JK Labs DVC box that ToddR & a few others have uses the ck6_ caps, but the box replaces the bodies.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline ts

« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »
Too bad leegeddy is gone. I remember at one time he was thinking about using the A61 swivels in an attempt to have a true 480 active setup.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2006, 10:42:46 AM »
I actually hadn't thought of it that way. I know the 460 bodies are transformer coupled, so they do sound different than the 480 bodies. I've never heard a direct comparison.

hmm, this has gotten me thinking, I think I will run my ck1xcap into my mk46 active cables into my stock 460 bodies for one set and into my 480 bodies for the second set, sometime soon, and then torrent the recording, I see no reason why I could not do so, might be illuminating, could do so next week for that Toad the Wet Sprocket show

Offline ts

« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2006, 10:47:18 AM »
I actually hadn't thought of it that way. I know the 460 bodies are transformer coupled, so they do sound different than the 480 bodies. I've never heard a direct comparison.

hmm, this has gotten me thinking, I think I will run my ck1xcap into my mk46 active cables into my stock 460 bodies for one set and into my 480 bodies for the second set, sometime soon, and then torrent the recording, I see no reason why I could not do so, might be illuminating, could do so next week for that Toad the Wet Sprocket show

I don't think the MK46 cables work on 480's.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2006, 10:50:08 AM »

you are right... only the 460s due to an extra contact that is not existant in the 480 body
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline grider

« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2006, 10:57:36 AM »

you are right... only the 460s due to an extra contact that is not existant in the 480 body

the fact that I did not know this means that I need to tape more  >:D, speaking of which I will be taping Del McCoury Band tomorrow and on Saturday too for the Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival, and perhaps TTWS next week, that will jump start things a bit

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2006, 11:07:09 AM »

the fact that I did not know this means that I need to tape more  >:D, speaking of which I will be taping Del McCoury Band tomorrow and on Saturday too for the Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival, and perhaps TTWS next week, that will jump start things a bit

Since the 1x caps won't work with the 480s, maybe do a ck1x vs ck61 comparison on the 460s?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline grider

« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »
yes, that would be simple enough to do

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2006, 02:13:05 AM »
Does anybody have the flac files from that JWmod460 vs. 480 vs. 460 comparison done by gumbino a while back? I'm trying to decide if I should send my 460s into to JW for the mod, or sell 'em and get 480s... will be running into an mp-2 for now, and then likely an ACM 671 later this summer... shoot me a PM if you can help me with the comparison...

I'm a little behind in this thread, but I have this on the hard drive if you still need it.   Let me know.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »
Does anybody have the flac files from that JWmod460 vs. 480 vs. 460 comparison done by gumbino a while back? I'm trying to decide if I should send my 460s into to JW for the mod, or sell 'em and get 480s... will be running into an mp-2 for now, and then likely an ACM 671 later this summer... shoot me a PM if you can help me with the comparison...

I'm a little behind in this thread, but I have this on the hard drive if you still need it.   Let me know.

Shoot Terrapinj a PM.  He's going to upload it to Tapers.org.  Maybe you can get it to him via ftp.  I've been trying to get it to him, but been slacking off.  I have a cd ready to mail to him, but haven't made it to the post office yet.  Thanks for the offer.  +T
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2006, 12:01:07 AM »
OK, nothing much happening I guess.

So, I just ordered a pair of CK63's to play with.

I expect one week or so delivery then I'll start messing with them.

Time to break out the hot melt glue and duct tape.  And a few FETs and 1GOhm resistors for good measure...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2006, 06:49:03 PM »

Time to break out the hot melt glue and duct tape.  And a few FETs and 1GOhm resistors for good measure...

Richard

Richard - you are the man. +T
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2006, 06:53:28 PM »

Richard

Richard - you are the man. +T

Oh yeah, if anyone has "collettes" for these, please send me a PM.  Someone had machined a set.  I sent an Email, but I'm not sure if these are still available.  Or, if they take a standard thread I might find in a hardware store (unlikely, but possible), please let me know.

Mechanical problems are the biggest issues for me.  I can deal with the electronics stuff.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: The AKG Actives Project. *crude* Prototype, request a set of Collettes
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:16 AM »
Hi there.  I finally ordered a set of CK63 caps and built a crude prototype.

Shown below: six (!) 9V batteries in series for the polarization voltage, two FETs, two 1Gohm (!) resistors, and other various parts.  I have not done extensive testing, but it "appears" to work, that is, I can speak into the mic and hear myself clearly.

So, if anyone has the collettes, I'd like to get a pair.  Otherwise I'll have to do something messy with copper screen, foil tape, etc.

Thanks,
 Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.224 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com