Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100973 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2006, 01:16:32 AM »
crap, nice work my friend
mics & cameras

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2006, 01:37:18 AM »
Very cool, indeed!  Any chance of your playing with some Schoeps caps, Richard?
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2006, 01:57:23 AM »
Wow that is alot of wires and alligator clips.  Good to see the clips used for their intended purposes.  ::)

Knowing nothing about electronics all those 9v seems like alot... But wondering what the ! on the two 1Gohm (!) resistors indicated.  I take it this is different than what you would expect to use?

Dana
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2006, 02:19:46 AM »

No way I'm going to play with other stuff, unless someone gives me them :).  I'm out enough money already buying the AKGs.
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2006, 09:12:20 AM »
Good job, Richard!  +T

Any chance of getting a crude schematic? 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #200 on: July 17, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
Have you set a price once these get cleaned up?   
~Clint

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2006, 10:03:51 AM »
Have you set a price once these get cleaned up?   
~Clint

+t

Thanks for the laugh on a sweltering Monday morning!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2006, 12:07:35 PM »

no need for him to either.  they already make actives.  :P
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
Re: The AKG Actives Project. *crude* Prototype, request a set of Collettes
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2006, 12:30:16 PM »
Shown below: six (!) 9V batteries in series for the polarization voltage, two FETs, two 1Gohm (!) resistors, and other various parts.  I have not done extensive testing, but it "appears" to work, that is, I can speak into the mic and hear myself clearly.

Sans the 9v's, would the two FETs, the two 1Gohm (!) resistors, and the various other parts be all that's needed to create an extension cable to run from the 460 bodies to the ck6_ caps?  Seems like the mk46 cables could be modified to work with this setup?   :hmmm:
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2006, 12:43:11 PM »
No they would not, because the AKG bodies have a FET in them already, what you see when you unscrew the cap is the connection between the FET and the capsule. 

You need a bare polarization voltage to transmit over a long enough distance to the FET at the capsule, there is no way to get that polarization voltage from the connector on the bodies.  This is what i've gathered from my ideas and experiments.
mics & cameras

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
I am assuming a mic body is off to the right where the +(yellow cable) goes.  Or is this solution to just place everything @ the capsule a la the CCM or 402x mics?

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:07 PM »
Good job, Richard!  +T

Any chance of getting a crude schematic? 

Yeah, I'll post a "blackboard drawing" in a bit.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »
RIchard how is that you accomplished this in a matter of days, where others have been struggling for much much longer? will adding length to the cables cause any issues at all? i am really impressed and can't wait to hear some samples.

of course you accomplish this right after I finally acquire some active cables  :P
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »
No they would not, because the AKG bodies have a FET in them already, what you see when you unscrew the cap is the connection between the FET and the capsule. 

You need a bare polarization voltage to transmit over a long enough distance to the FET at the capsule, there is no way to get that polarization voltage from the connector on the bodies.  This is what i've gathered from my ideas and experiments.

Actually, you *could* make an extension cable to run the capsules from the 460/480 bodies.  Well, basically you would just get the polarization voltage from the 460/480 body and run it to the cap with the FETs *at the capsule*, then take the signal off the FETs.  So the body would do nothing but provide the polarization voltage.

But I am not interested in doing this.  I don't want to buy/carry the mic body!  The whole point for me is to have mics for a cheap price, for just the price of the capsules.  Others are welcome to experiment with using the existing bodies, adding preamps to bring output to line level, etc.

OK, the next step is to build this into a collette at the mic capsule.  (So, does anyone have collettes for these capsules?)  Next I'll try to field test.

Thanks for your interest!

Richard

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2006, 01:37:49 PM »

Actually, you *could* make an extension cable to run the capsules from the 460/480 bodies.  Well, basically you would just get the polarization voltage from the 460/480 body and run it to the cap with the FETs *at the capsule*, then take the signal off the FETs.  So the body would do nothing but provide the polarization voltage.

But I am not interested in doing this.  I don't want to buy/carry the mic body!  The whole point for me is to have mics for a cheap price, for just the price of the capsules.  Others are welcome to experiment with using the existing bodies, adding preamps to bring output to line level, etc.

OK, the next step is to build this into a collette at the mic capsule.  (So, does anyone have collettes for these capsules?)  Next I'll try to field test.

Thanks for your interest!

Richard

someone tried this I believe, the polarization voltage provided by the bodies won't carry over a long enough distance.  there's a thread about it somewhere.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com