Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fixing levels over zero in soundforge  (Read 2167 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
fixing levels over zero in soundforge
« on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »
lets say you had a hot recording without clipping then you EQ'd it and it pushed the levels over zero before you rendered the final version

something like the left channel in this pic:

is there a simple limiter that can be applied to fix these without normalizing all data in the file?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:36:52 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: fixing levels over zero in soundforge
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:54:06 PM »
I'm in no way familiar with Soundforge. However, if I'm understanding your issue correctly, would it not be possible to just reduce amplification before anything else?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:13:04 AM »
I'm in no way familiar with Soundforge. However, if I'm understanding your issue correctly, would it not be possible to just reduce amplification before anything else?

compression/limiting would reduce those peaks locally - but can affect dynamics. im not super well versed in compression and avoid it where possible

normalizing to lower volume of all data can be done... but unneccesarily affects all data

i ended up starting from scratch andnormalizing a few dB before equing

next time i will keep levels at -6dB or below if i plan on EQing later
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline inoutoffocus

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 06:09:03 AM »
give izotpe rx a shot. the declip (digital signal) process can work wonders. take a few minutes and your done.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
[snip] normalizing to lower volume of all data can be done... but unnecessarily affects all data
Not super expert, but my understanding from folks on TS who are expert is that post-processing in a modern DAW has an insignificant impact, especially in a 32 bit space. I believe that normalizing down a bit and then eq would work well and the impact on all data not an issue.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com