Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: first recording [was: post processing questions]  (Read 3686 times)

Offline gazoombo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Virb Profile
first recording [was: post processing questions]
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:37:13 AM »
Hi, I'm still waiting for my Church Audio gear, but I have my iHP-120 now. I used it with the included EXTERNAL mic to record a show tonight. Without a preamp, the levels were a little low, but it's definitely still listenable.

My question is, how do I go about doing some post-processing on this file? (WAV[Microsoft], 16/44.1) The biggest problem is that the applause between tracks is probably twice or three times as loud as the songs themselves. So, simply clicking 'Normalize' in Audacity doesn't really help any.

As far as software goes, I use a Mac (PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.4.10). I typically just use Audacity for editing, and Max for conversion between formats.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:17:13 PM by gazoombo »
Music > Ears
Anything > iRiver iHP-120

Eagerly awaiting Church Audio STC-9000 mics & preamp

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: post processing questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:13:57 AM »
Here is how I would do it: 1) normalize.  Then, 2) lower the applause levels.    Easily done in Audacity.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »
To lower the applause, I've used compression and/or volume envelope.  In Audacity, I never had much success with compression, and I'm not even sure it functions properly in the current release.  This topic's been discussed a lot - try searching this forum for compression and/or volume envelope.  There'll be a lot of hits, but also some good info.

After you've lowered the applause as desired, then raise the gain of the entire file at once.  FWIW, Audacity's normalize feature maxes out at -3 dB, so if you want to normalize close to 0 dB, use the Amplify function.

Edit to add:  If you're using Audacity, don't forget to make sure it's configured properly.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:35:49 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
Here is how I would do it: 1) normalize.  Then, 2) lower the applause levels.    Easily done in Audacity.

Cheers

I think Normalize must be your last step. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you Normalize before lowering applause levels, your Normalize tool will consider the peaks (in this case, the applause) not the music.Just my 2 cents. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline boojum

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »

Cheers

I think Normalize must be your last step. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you Normalize before lowering applause levels, your Normalize tool will consider the peaks (in this case, the applause) not the music.Just my 2 cents. ;)

Good point, but the trade off is that when you reduce the applause first, and then normalize, wouldn't you wind up raising the applause levels again??  I know it would be proportionally the same as the un-normalized file, but it will be that much louder.  So, which way is better??
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »
So, which way is better??

Reduce applause levels, then normalize.  If the applause are still too loud after reducing and then normalizing, just reduce the applause more prior to normalizing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline gazoombo

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Virb Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 03:30:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I reduced the applause and then normalized. I then used labels to split the tracks and exported both MP3s and FLACs.

Here's the result:
http://mostexcellentrecords.com/mike/share/JesKramer2007-07-17.html

Keep in mind that I don't have good mics or a pre yet. Also, this is my first 'real' attempt at recording. I don't have any fancy post-processing tools, just Audacity. Feedback / constructive criticism welcome.  ;D
Music > Ears
Anything > iRiver iHP-120

Eagerly awaiting Church Audio STC-9000 mics & preamp

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 04:16:58 AM »
hi

I just post-processed my first show last weekend and used the following workflow in Audacity:

1. import original file, normalize
2. play with good EQ settings for a while, then take the best one and apply it to the whole file
3. apply envelopes to reduce the crowd noise, I applied -6dB
4. create a new text-track and put labels stretching over a track each, with neighbouring labels being directly connected.
5. normalize all
6. export multiple to FLAC or whatever format you want.

HTH.

regards
nicola

Offline firebaugh

• Taperssection Regular
    • NOLA Underground
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 11:09:04 PM »
FWIW, Audacity's normalize feature maxes out at -3 dB, so if you want to normalize close to 0 dB, use the Amplify function.

I just started using the Audacity 1.3.3-beta and normalize isn't locked at -3 dB anymore, you can enter in any value that you want.
M-Audio Pulsar II > UA-5 Oade wmod > R-09 (temp)
Soundboard > ST-9100 v.3 > Tascam DR-07

"When anybody asks me 'what kind of music I play' I say depression era metal." - Scott H. Biram

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Taperssection Regular
Re: first recording [was: post processing questions]
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 03:54:33 AM »
hi

for judging whether the applause is too loud or not: switch the view of the wave-form to "dB". this gives you more feedback what the loudness is.

regards
nicola

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com