Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to reduce a WHOOper and clapper  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Need to reduce a WHOOper and clapper
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »
 ;D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »
A few years back I went to a blues festival at Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River, FL. Its a cool venue in that the concert area is down in an old abandoned quarry that has been landscaped. The headline act was Buddy Guy. Some skanky, wobbly, drunk-ass, biker chick with way too many nasty tattoos kept yelling out in her screechy hick voice "Buddy Guy! BUUUDDY GUY!" over and over again. Like he would ever hear her over the monitors and call back "I love you you, nasty biker skank." Hell, she had probably never heard of him before the festival. She kept on swaying on the slope just yelling away, stumbling every once in a while. Everybody was annoyed but nobody wanted to get into it with her equally drunk biker buddies. I really wish she would have stumbled, fallen and rolled down the hill screaming "Buddy Guy!" the whole way, at least I would have gotten a good laugh.

BTW, I have quite a few biker friends, they just aren't that obnoxious in public.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
I can beat that.

I saw Willie Nelson do a club show a few years back.  He was doing, I think 3 nights.  Anyway, got tix for my wife and my mom.  It was GA, so we went early to get fairly close.  Of course, as show time arrived, there was a crush for those wanting to get close, but not wanting to come early and stand there for a couple of hours.  So this small group of drunks was near us.  Same as your biker chick, the guy in this group kept telling Willie "North Carolina loves you" sometimes appending a "man" on the end.  Forget that the show was in Virginia, Willie never heard a word, but this guy kept at it, annoying everyone around them.  His chicks were drunk and kept stumbling around, it was a mess.  So, we left between main set and encore, and my mom put her gum in one of the chick's hair.  Damn, it was sweet.  I know that girl had no idea it was there.  I still think about her waking up the next morning saying "WTF!"

keytohwy

A few years back I went to a blues festival at Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River, FL. Its a cool venue in that the concert area is down in an old abandoned quarry that has been landscaped. The headline act was Buddy Guy. Some skanky, wobbly, drunk-ass, biker chick with way too many nasty tattoos kept yelling out in her screechy hick voice "Buddy Guy! BUUUDDY GUY!" over and over again. Like he would ever hear her over the monitors and call back "I love you you, nasty biker skank." Hell, she had probably never heard of him before the festival. She kept on swaying on the slope just yelling away, stumbling every once in a while. Everybody was annoyed but nobody wanted to get into it with her equally drunk biker buddies. I really wish she would have stumbled, fallen and rolled down the hill screaming "Buddy Guy!" the whole way, at least I would have gotten a good laugh.

BTW, I have quite a few biker friends, they just aren't that obnoxious in public.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
Kepp em coming...

I love story time...

Has anyone ever had a line form to talk to you about getting a tape?
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »
i'm calling tl:dr, so sorry if i get redundant in this post :P

i tend to use band-stop filters to mitigate whistling and EQ'ing in woohoos. the crowd artefact worked upon will sound weird and unnatural, albeit more comfortable to your hears. whistlers are *really* easy to remove almost completely with a very favorable compromise in music loss. if you determine the fundamental frequency of the whistler using a narrow Q, high boost, and sweep in your softwares parametric equalizer, you can determine which frequency the whistle has and BSF the fuck out of it. .the narrower the BSF, the least ammount of music you affect and the results are pretty good if you're rigorous and most of all patient. and since most whistling is between 2.6k and 3.5k, you can easily isolate and determine accurately where it is.  (DO NOT cut everything between these values, just search for the frequency where the whistle is located). another much more effective method of detection is using the spectral view function.

you'll find a hot region around 500Hz and 800Hz for most male woohoos, a little higher for girls. however, a lot of music is located inbetween those values, and i would not encourage the use of BSF for them. just use a realatively soft EQ in that region and you should get pleasing results. heck, even if you lose some music in the process, its much better than suddenly having a guy screaming at +6dB the normal music program of the recording. bottom line, BSF for whistling and a rather conservative EQ for woohoo.

you can also attenuate the harmonics i both cases, but thats a whole different subject and i wouldn't recommend doing it in either cases as it would further damage the music in the recording (especially if you're talking about woohoos). the only time i used such method was in a case of extreme feedback, and i used a notch filter there.

for handclaps, limiting is the best. if you're reeeeealy patient, i suggest you work clap by clap. pay attention to the difference between the snare attacks and claps, as they are easy to confuse on the waveform display.

PS: most conservative guys would probably argue with some of the methods described above. i don't like the extra work, so hey, if they are to be used, make it a special case. living in a latin country, crowds can go wild sometimes and most of my tapes would be unlistenable unless i applied some of the extreme editing described above.

examples (done in a sloppy quicky way)

whistle

post-whistle
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
... living in a latin country, crowds can go wild sometimes and most of my tapes would be unlistenable unless i applied some of the extreme editing described above.
;D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.389 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com