Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrak 2, Edirol R09HR or Olympus LS10?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline mmg_fan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microtrak 2, Edirol R09HR or Olympus LS10?
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:30:28 AM »
Hi
I'm a newcomer to the world of field recording and am purchasing my first portable PCM recorder.
I've narrowed my choice down to the new Microtrak 2, Edirol R09HR or Olympus LS10.
I've read hundreds of reviews the last few days and listened to tons of samples but am still undecided.
I prefer the sound of the Edirol, even with its lack of good stereo imaging, over the Olympus which sounds 'thin' and 'tinny' in most samples I've heard.
Dont know much about the Microtrak2 yet...
The major con I see with the edirol is its toy like build quality...what happens if you drop it?
The Sony PCM-D50 has a slight audio quality advantage over these units but I'm not considering it for portability and cost issues.

Can anyone give me some advice or share their experience in this area?
I'd like to use the unit for ambient and nature recording as well as live acoustic and orchestral music
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:33:19 AM by mmg_fan »

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Microtrak 2, Edirol R09HR or Olympus LS10?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108082.0.html

These are some recordings I made in my back yard with the D50.  It has some nice quality internal mics and preamp.  It's a little bit more than the others but Sony has had a good reputation in the past for portable recorders.  I can't say anything bad about the unit.  It may be a bit larger than the others but I like the fact that it has dedicated controls for every major function.  You don't have to dig through numerous menus to set levels and choose your various functions.  Once you handle the D50 a few times i becomes obvious that a lot of though was put into its design.  I don't have anything against the other recorders.  I just suggest you don't overlook the D50.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »
Hi
I'm a newcomer to the world of field recording and am purchasing my first portable PCM recorder.
I've narrowed my choice down to the new Microtrak 2, Edirol R09HR or Olympus LS10.
I've read hundreds of reviews the last few days and listened to tons of samples but am still undecided.
I prefer the sound of the Edirol, even with its lack of good stereo imaging, over the Olympus which sounds 'thin' and 'tinny' in most samples I've heard.
Dont know much about the Microtrak2 yet...
The major con I see with the edirol is its toy like build quality...what happens if you drop it?
The Sony PCM-D50 has a slight audio quality advantage over these units but I'm not considering it for portability and cost issues.

Can anyone give me some advice or share their experience in this area?
I'd like to use the unit for ambient and nature recording as well as live acoustic and orchestral music
Thanks in advance!

Toy build quality is something you can sure say about the old R-09, not the R09HR IMHO.
The stereo image? Well, again in my extemelly humble opinion, it has more to do with lots of other things: mic positioning, location, type of music (acoustic? PA?).
What happens if you drop a R09HR? Same thing that could happen with the other units on your list: nothing or everything ;D. Mind you, my old R-09 once was submerged in a swimming pool for like a minute. Works perfectly.
Good luck in your purchase.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
Well welcome to the world of taping.
I've been on this board just since mid January and I've learned A LOT and acquired a lot of gear.
Do you want just a a recorder and no pre-amps and no external microphones? What kind of music are you looking into?
I noticed in the retail section, the Olympus was selling for less than $300 so if you want something right now (I have to save my money) that may not be too bad of an option.
When I first came to this board, I was set on getting the zoom h4 because it has xlr inputs but I leared about the shaver looking r09 and discovered almost everyone on here has very little bad things to say about it. I plan on getting the 09hr now--not the zoom h4.
The Sony is too big and I don't like the idea of non-removable memory plus its not something common like SD cards, but I wouldn't turn one down for free. :)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mmg_fan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
Initially I'm not interested in investing in preamps or external mics etc, but it is an area I'd like to have the option to 'grow' in as I learn more.
Musically, no head banging metal, mostly acoustic and small venue settings, that may contain a lot of ambient noise.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:46 PM »
Forget the MicroTrak II.

Choose between the R09HR and the LS-10 (and add the Sony PCM-D50 to the list).

I bought the Olympus LS-10 - it's great for a small machine.

(but I am buying the NAGRA VI as well)  ;D

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
Don't overlook the Tascam DR-1.

Best price I could find today, including shipping, is
DR-1            $215     (includes 1 GB flash memory card and removable rechargeable Li-Ion battery)
Microtrack II $245     (no built-in mics, but small "T" mic included)
LS-10           $285     (includes 2GB memory built in)
R-09HR        $340

Flintstone

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »
The Sony's main disadvantage is that it uses the proprietary memory stick.  I admit, it would be a better deal financially if it wasn't for that fact.  It does have 4GB internal which will get you a good bit of record time when not using the highest settings.  I already had a 8GB stick when I bought mine so it wasn't a big issue.  For an all-in-one unit it does extremely well.

Offline mmg_fan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
Ok, went with the Edirol and have done a few tests.

PROS
-great sound, will need to do some research to see what best options are for removing slight noise floor
-usability, super simple to use, audio files pop up on your desktop
when you plug in the USB2 cable
-portability, because it weighs nothing, will probaby be carrying it everywhere

CONS
-build, rubberized case is a dust magnet

Overall, so far I like

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
Ok, went with the Edirol and have done a few tests.

PROS
-great sound, will need to do some research to see what best options are for removing slight noise floor
-usability, super simple to use, audio files pop up on your desktop
when you plug in the USB2 cable
-portability, because it weighs nothing, will probaby be carrying it everywhere

CONS
-build, rubberized case is a dust magnet

Overall, so far I like

I don't have any issues about that. Try the Silicone Rubber Case sold by Edirol.That`s a dust magnet.
Friend, stay away from that thing. I have one.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:38:38 AM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com