Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thorens TD-165 (craigslist score)  (Read 8907 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Thorens TD-165 (craigslist score)
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
So looking through Craigslist last week, I ran across a guy selling a Thorens TD-165 for $50.  Now I am very happy with my Rega P-1, but I figured why not pick this thing up...so met him tonight and got it..appears to be in great shape.  He said that he had the cables upgraded a year or so back and at the same time added a new Grado cart which is still on it.  He said he played it for probably a month or so until he ran across an absurdly good deal on a TD-125 which he still uses today.  His wife told him to get rid of it...and that is how it ends up here!  I need to do some reading on this thing though...the antiskate mechanism is new to me and I need to figure out how it works...The belt looks good (no visible cracks) but it wont slip up to the 45 spindle when I flip the switch...it almost gets there...I need to read up on that as well...determine if it is the belt that needs replacing or if I need to determine how to adjust the riser..

If anyone has any Thorens experience, please jump in!  I have a couple of websites that I saw Carl post earlier and I am going to start reading there, but obviously open to input!

Once I get it up and running and I will play with it against the P1 and post my thoughts...(and dont ask if the P1 goes up for sale, a buyer has already approached me)...figured though what is the worst that can happen..lose out on $50?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Thorens TD-165 (craigslist score)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:14 PM »
Awesome score! The only site that matters for Thorens:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
thanks Carl, I ran across that site last night...good stuff there...need to get this thing tuned up and throw some tunes on it soon!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
nice find, Nick

so, what do you think it'll take to tune it up?

at a minimum I think

- verify cart alignment
- verify tracking weight
- figure out how to set the anti-skate...this is kind of an odd mechanism with a weight on a string
- check to see if the bearing oil needs to be changed (hoping the service manual tells me how to get to it)
- verify the suspension is still operating properly (found a guide on the site Carl posted on how to do this)

Bottom line though it looks good, unit is in good physical condition and the motor is dead silent, which appears to be from what I read the main thing that happens with these units (motors going bad)...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »
Unless you have a lot of 45s, don't worry about the belt not shifting to the other gear. My 150 has the same problem but since I only have a dozen or so 45s from way back when, I never play them. The anti-skate mechanism couldn't be simpler, all you really need is to know what scale the grooves are calibrated to and then position the weight accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:19:07 PM by flipp »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:57 PM »
that antiskate is a tricky looking mechanism.
The switch to the right of center,... is that the cueing trigger?

yeah, that is the drop needle trigger...I am actually most surprised that this still works perfectly...

flipp, fair enough on the 45s, but let me ask, the forums that I have been reading indicate that may be a sign that the belt needs to be replaced....what is your experience?  Also if any thorens guys know where to get a replacement belt for this unit let me know...I am going to start checking around..

Also flipp is dead on, I just read up on the anti skate..and it really is simple. basically matching up the tracking force to the anti skate and you just drape the string/weight over the corresponding notch...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
My experience is I don't worry about the belt if the speed doesn't vary. As long as the strobe indicates correct speed I don't mind an old belt even if it is dried and cracked. I seem to recall it had problems switching speeds even when I first bought it 35+ years ago. I don't use the 150 any longer. It's on indefinite loan to a friend. I don't recall the mechanism the 125 uses to change speed. I need to get it out of storage and bring it and my vinyl here to listen to again. Been way too long since I've heard some of it. Before I do that, I need to review the DIY threads on a vinyl cleaner.

Nick, once you get the Thorens up, I would be interested in your thoughts on how it and the Rega compare.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:41:10 PM by flipp »

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »
Before you replace the belt I would throw it in a sandwich baggie with some talcum powder. If you really want a belt Q Audio used to stock the real Thorens belts, my understanding is that most of the aftermarket belts do not perform as good as the original. Q Audio is in Boston, about an hour from me but when I went down there to check it out I thought the guy working there was a complete tool. I hope he wasn't the owner & I doubt he was but he wasn't at all what I was hoping to find when I got there.

http://www.qaudio.com/fspecials.html
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:04:01 PM »
Before you replace the belt I would throw it in a sandwich baggie with some talcum powder. If you really want a belt Q Audio used to stock the real Thorens belts, my understanding is that most of the aftermarket belts do not perform as good as the original. Q Audio is in Boston, about an hour from me but when I went down there to check it out I thought the guy working there was a complete tool. I hope he wasn't the owner & I doubt he was but he wasn't at all what I was hoping to find when I got there.

http://www.qaudio.com/fspecials.html

thanks Carl, I am going to try the talcum powder trick first...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
so far, I have just made sure that the tracking force was right, that the anti skate weight was set up properly and that the cart was aligned properly...being impatient, I hooked it up and have been listening for a couple of hours this afternoon...holy crap this thing sounds good.  So far I have put OK Computer and Houses of the Holy through it and have just started with the truckers BTCD.  Sound is very much what I expect from vinyl...open, airy and a balanced warm sound.  But on thing tthat sounds different with the thorens vs the P1 is the highs...on the P1 they can get a little grating...they just seem a little smoother with the Thorens..makes me wonder if the suspended table may have something to do with that...I need to do some more comparisons between the two to finalize my thoughts though...bottom line though, it is silly how good this sounds for what it cost me...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 04:46:01 PM »
Sounds like you like  the Thorens so far. What model Grado is on the arm and what are you running on your P1?  The "harsh" highs may be more a result of which cartridge your P1 has rather than any differences in the tables themselves.

When I used to sell audio equipment way back when, Grado and Ortofon were the cartridges that sounded best with the Thorens.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
Sounds like you like  the Thorens so far. What model Grado is on the arm and what are you running on your P1?  The "harsh" highs may be more a result of which cartridge your P1 has rather than any differences in the tables themselves.

When I used to sell audio equipment way back when, Grado and Ortofon were the cartridges that sounded best with the Thorens.

The cart I have on the P1 is the Bias2 by Rega...I also have the Ortofon that ships with the P1, though I havent listened to it in a while.....the Thorens has a Grado Black on it...

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
Thats a good score, not surprised it sounds better.  I've got one and sometimes I wonder if my VPI table is really all that when the Thorens is damn close.
mics & cameras

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »
Thats a good score, not surprised it sounds better.  I've got one and sometimes I wonder if my VPI table is really all that when the Thorens is damn close.

which VPI table do you have?
those things are so sweet!

Just a simple VPI HW-19 Jr. that I picked up off craigslist.  Weighs a metric ton.
mics & cameras

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »
Nice find Nick!  Now, wanna sell the Rega?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »
You can put most any arm on the hw tables. A lot of the jr's were sold without arms in fact.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
Mine has an audioquest PT-6 on it.  I think that was VPI's "package" arm.
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Nice find Nick!  Now, wanna sell the Rega?

maybe...if I do, I already have one guy interested...if he doesnt bite though you would be next in line...

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 11:05:20 AM »
The "harsh" highs may be more a result of which cartridge your P1 has rather than any differences in the tables themselves.

Exactly what I was thinking. It would be interesting (although a hassle) to swap out the cartridges and compare again.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.427 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com