Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09HR Corrupt File Repair  (Read 2855 times)

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
R-09HR Corrupt File Repair
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
Wondering if anything similar has happened to anyone around here...

I was taping at Rocky Grass and had spaced my external battery pack and left it at home.  Had a pack of cheap-ass Ray-O-Vac AA batteries in my camping gear, so I was going with those, although I noticed they had significantly shorter tun times than Duracells or other, better AA's.  (I was getting 1 set per pair as opposed to 4+ hours on a set of Duracells). 

Anyway, the low battery light was flashing at the end of Sam Bush's set and before the encore.  I figured I should swap batteries while Sam was off-stage because I know he's prone to long encores that involve lots of special guests.  So I hit the Stop button on the R-9HR and rather than coming to a stop and allowing me to shut it down, the deck just powered down as soon as I hit the stop button.  Crap!  Had no idea what just happened, but I got the batteries changed in time for the encore.  I didn't have time to check the files until I got home. 

All files were 24/48.  When I got the deck home, I could see the file menu showed both files that were (1) Sam's main set and (2) the encore, but the main set wouldn't play on the deck.  When I used the finder button, I could see that set and then select it, but whenever I hit Play, the deck would skip straight to the encore file.  Thought I was screwed. 

Got home and dumped the file onto my PC and tried to open it with Audacity.  It would load into Audacity but not play.  Tried to open it with CDWave, but again, no luck. 

As a last resort I opened FlacFrontend, dropped the corrupt file into the window and hit Encode to convert my corrupt .Wav file into a .Flac file.  That went smoothly, so I moved the original corrupt file to my external hard drive just in case, then I took the new .Flac file and ran it through Flac Frontend a second time, to Decode. 

So I was back to a 24-bit .Wav file, but now it would open and play in Audacity, so it appears that the transition into and out of the Flac format helped "repair" the file somehow.  After flac-ing and deflac-ing, I had a workable file.  Whew. 

Anyone else ever find a corrupt file and a way to repair it?  Is there a better or different way to manage a corrupt file?  Having the deck power down when I hit the stop button was strange.  I guess the batteries were practically dead at that point, but that had never happened before.  At least I was able to save the recording after a bit of fiddling. 
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: R-09HR Corrupt File Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:55 AM »
Doesn't the R-09 have its own built-in repair facility?

I'm sure I have read about this in several places - it's one of the best things about getting an 09.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »
^^  It does?  I guess I need to learn more about how to operate my deck.  Something to research further.
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:21:14 PM »
It does. It's easy and it works great. I had to do it once when I dropped my R-09 at the end of a set. I knew there was a problem immediately because the set showed up as lasting 1 second, but the remaining time available for recording was reduced by the length of the set. I used the repair function and the proper length of the set now was shown. When I got home, the file was recognized by my software with no problems.

The HR has this function as well. It is described on page 80 of the manual.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:25:48 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »
It does. It's easy and it works great. I had to do it once when I dropped my R-09 at the end of a set. I knew there was a problem immediately because the set showed up as lasting 1 second, but the remaining time available for recording was reduced by the length of the set. I used the repair function and the proper length of the set now was shown. When I got home, the file was recognized by my software with no problems.

The HR has this function as well. It is described on page 80 of the manual.

The pdf version of the R-09HR is HERE;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com