Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)  (Read 119932 times)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2010, 03:25:34 AM »
so I am thinking of down sizing to a M-10 and it appears that noone is worried about the A-D converter in the M-10, and that most like to use a preamp in front of it.
I am thinking LittleBox > M-10
which would still be smaller and lighter than my Fostex FR2 LE

anyone have insight on the Sony  A-D converter

thanx
--Ian

look down the forum page a few threads and you will see my thread comparing the AD to that of the 722. The AD of the 722 is very well regarded. Take a listen to the files and see how you think the M10 compares.

EDIT: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138489.0

thanx
interesting
it's fairly hard (with my current - temporary speaker set up) to hear the difference - except for the lower db's on B
but it's cool to hear they are so close
thanx
for the comp
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Artstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2010, 12:35:15 PM »
I found a case that fits the M10 like it was made for it.  Lowepro Volta 20.  A small pocket inside for additional cards and that's it.

Nice case but not for operating the unit whilst attached to your belt in a stealth recording scenario. The sort of case I need is basically the same as my old Servired MZ-R50 case but appropriately sized. That is, instead of a zipper with the unit sitting loosely with the zipper open as it seems to with your case, the unit sits snug in the pouch which grabs 3/4 of the unit and has a flap which folds over the top and locks down with velcro. That way, I can have the flap open to plug in the mics and not have to worry about the unit falling out of the pouch if someone were to ever bump me.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »
Got my case in the mail yesterday. Nice case, certainly better than nothing. I'd be pissed if I paid $30 for it though.

I think I might be able to squeeze my CA-1's in there, but that's about it (other than the M10).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
crbatt:  I'm going to swim against the stream here (risking a thread hijack) and say don't jump too quickly into CA mics.  Other alternatives are out there short of the $500'ish range DPA 406x route.

Personally, I might look at some of the AT adapted mics available at Sound Professionals like the SP-CMC-8  A bit more money than CA-11's perhaps but they're smaller and have switchable caps if you like to expand.  SP has a taper discount too, something that the new folks who are pointing to CA don't know or have forgotten.  SP has been a solid company IMO with few complaints. 

As far as his mic preamps go, I think there are few better alternatives for the money and form factor for plug-in mics.   The Naiant littlebox can be customized for nearly any mic you have and is maybe not too big for your consideration.  I'd say the littlebox price might be in your ball park and performance has been turning a lot of heads here. 

Littlebox (or Tinybox if small size is important) may be a better deal than the ST-9100 for the money but both are great preamps. Tinybox or Littlebox would be better if you are going to do a lot of acoustic recordings and may need more than 20 dB of gain.

I disagree with the SP recommendation over the CA-14's if price is important to you. Again, both SP's and Church deliver quality gear but Church Audio gives you far more bang for the buck and sound every bit as good as the SP stuff if not better. SP's switchable caps are great, but if all you need are cards & omnis, just get both the CA-14 cards and omni's and you're all set.

I second Tedley's recommendation to pick up the CA 14 card/omni & ST-9100 package in the yard sale. You can't do better for twice the cash.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:01:52 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
ok so i finally got around to running my own line in test on the levels...
i made a white noise file in audacity and ran it to my svu1
the svu1 was showing me -3db
i unhooked the svu1 and replaced it with the m10
in order to get the m10 to show me -3db i had to set it on 6.5
for every number i went down the db went down 2 to 3

so i know its been said that as low as 3 was "normal" with no gain or attenuation but i was much higher then that

also how long do you have to let the m10 sit before you need to reset the clock? it seems lieke everytime i turn it on the clock is not set correctly
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »
Got my case in the mail yesterday. Nice case, certainly better than nothing. I'd be pissed if I paid $30 for it though.
Is there a way to get this thing outside of the USA without insane shipping charges?

Ah! Found it. But the pouch itself is less cheap...  Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:19:03 PM by udovdh »

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »
so i know its been said that as low as 3 was "normal" with no gain or attenuation but i was much higher then that

I might have missed it, but I never heard of anyone saying that. Guysonic did his famous tests on the M10 and said the unity gain setting was about 6 which is pretty close to the results you got.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
...instead of a zipper with the unit sitting loosely with the zipper open as it seems to with your case, the unit sits snug in the pouch which grabs 3/4 of the unit and has a flap which folds over the top and locks down with velcro. That way, I can have the flap open to plug in the mics and not have to worry about the unit falling out of the pouch if someone were to ever bump me.

In the Lowepro Ridge 30, with the unit facing the belt loop, I can zip up and over the mic jack while going line-in, so it's not going anywhere vertically. It's also not going anywhere horizontally because there's webbing where the pouch opens--as high as the level control knob on one side, up to the micro-SD hatch on the other.   It's not quite a flap over the top, but it's definitely secure. I use it on my belt all the time.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »

I might have missed it, but I never heard of anyone saying that. Guysonic did his famous tests on the M10 and said the unity gain setting was about 6 which is pretty close to the results you got.
maybe i misread it too but thats good to know that guysonic and i got the same result
it prob really is 6 over 6.5 because the svu1 is hard to get 100% perfect since there is no -1, -2, -4, -5
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Doctor Slump

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
I used my PCM-M10 with the internal mics to record a string quartet last week. After a bit of EQ'ing (lowered mid-bass, boosted mid-treble), it sounded quite good. I've also been using it to record voice-overs for video, and am happy with the results. I place it about 6-8 inches from the person's mouth.

On the subject of cases, I'm using the Case Logic TBC-312, which is perfect. It fits the PCM-M10, and the small outer pocket holds the windscreen.

http://www.caselogic.com/pocket_video_camcorder_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=133877

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »
also how long do you have to let the m10 sit before you need to reset the clock? it seems lieke everytime i turn it on the clock is not set correctly

thanks for doing the  testing.

I would double check to make sure you're setting the time right. I have not had any issue with the time not setting correctly or staying set. Does it return to midnight on new recordings after you turn it back on? Earlier in the thread there was talk about the internal battery and guysonic among others said its good enough for ten years.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »

I would double check to make sure you're setting the time right. I have not had any issue with the time not setting correctly or staying set. Does it return to midnight on new recordings after you turn it back on? Earlier in the thread there was talk about the internal battery and guysonic among others said its good enough for ten years.
it sets correctly
then is fine for a while
then i don't turn it on for a couple of weeks and its back to midnight asking to be set as soon as i tunr it on just like it did the first time i ever turned it on
date it asks for too

Offline silverhick

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
Feeling kind of dumb but how do you set the AM/PM? Every time I confirm the minute setting it exits out before I get to it.

it sets correctly
then is fine for a while
then i don't turn it on for a couple of weeks and its back to midnight asking to be set as soon as i tunr it on just like it did the first time i ever turned it on
date it asks for too

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered endlessly in the 3 threads covering the m10 but...

I cannot get the m10 to recognize my brand new Sandisk 8gb micro sd. Pretty sure it's class 2 but I don't see why that would matter as it should still be plenty fast for even the highest bit rate and sampling rate.

WTF? I am a Sandisk diehard but this is just crap. What sd card will work with the m10?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »
Your card should work. I have the same card and sometimes I had to insert it 3-4 times before it was finally recognized. I seldom take it out of the M10 anymore for that reason. I just use the M10 as the card reader. Seems to work fine once it gets recognized.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com