Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 32 bit float workflow  (Read 1826 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
32 bit float workflow
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Im using sony vegas pro and i can render audio to 32bit ieee float. How do i benefit from this?Take my raw 24 48 untouched files and render to 32bit float than do any stretching to synch with video and EQ than render back to my bluray delivery of 24 48.What am i gaining?

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
Re: 32 bit float workflow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »
You won't get any benefits from rendering your files to 32 bit float prior to processing. Every digital audio processing step, from complex plug-ins to tasks as simple as summing, have their own -higher- internal processing bit depth and (over)sampling frequency, and convert your files on the fly to and from them (for instance Samplitude internal mixer work with 32 bit float while Pro Tools work with 48 bit fix, Fairlight Crystal Core uses 36 bit float for the mix and 72 bit fix for the Eq, etc). This is true for almost every piece of software and hardware meant to process audio.

Using files with a 32 bit float bit depth will mostly result in (way) bigger files, more processing time and an additional unwanted dithering step when converting back to 24 bit before delivery. All of this whitout benefits.

So if I were you, I won't bother.  :)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
the only benefits would be if you want to do audio editing in two different programs.  you could do whatever you need to do in the first program, then render to 32 bit float.  then open the 32 bit files in the second program and do whatever you need to do there.  That way, dither will only be added once, at the end (by the second program), and you avoid an unneeded dither from the first program.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
Great replys...thanks for the info!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com