Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD burning question  (Read 3476 times)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
DVD burning question
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Let me preface by saying it's been years since I've burned a DVD. So I dl'ed a show that was separated into 2 separate folders (within each are separate Video TS folders)...apparently so the show would fit on 2 single layer DVD's. The size of both combined fit on one dual layer DVD without being compressed. Is there a way to go about burning the whole show on 1 DL DVD? Is it as simple as combining the 2 Video TS folders?

Apologies if this is simple/stupid/has been answered before...like I said it's been years since I've done this. If we need to talk software keep in mind I'm on Mac. I have used Toast to burn DVD's in the past so I'm familiar with the basics. Thanks if anyone can help.

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DVD burning question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
VOB is basically mpeg-2 with navigation information.  The issue with your first ideal is that each disc has it's own navigation stuff (i.e. menus).  And I don't know of any "tricks" to make them merge gracefully without re-authoring the disc.  Is it worth a test disc that might not work?  Or just burn the two discs as originally intended?  Unless you plan on burning multiple copies, it's probably not worth the effort to re-author it and merge the content.  But if you're just making a data dvd to play on PC's.  You should be able to do that in a way to favor your favorite player(s).  Just don't expect it to play in the minivan or any stand alone players.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:47:31 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
So I dl'ed a show that was separated into 2 separate folders (within each are separate Video TS folders)...apparently so the show would fit on 2 single layer DVD's. The size of both combined fit on one dual layer DVD without being compressed. Is there a way to go about burning the whole show on 1 DL DVD? Is it as simple as combining the 2 Video TS folders?
No, it's not possible without re-authoring the DVD.

Firstly you will need to rip each DVD to a single MPEG-2 file. Mac The Ripper can be used. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MacTheRipper - A freeware alternative is MPEG StreamClip ( http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html )
Then you will need to load both MPEG-2 files into a DVD Authoring application. iDVD can be used for this. You will need to recreate the menu and chapter points. iDVD will then re-create a new VIDEO_TS folder containing both DVDs. If you don't have iDVD then there's a freeware authoring tool called DVDStyler - http://www.dvdstyler.de/en/downloads
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:38:10 PM by sabre »

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »
No, it's not possible without re-authoring the DVD.

Firstly you will need to rip each DVD to a single MPEG-2 file. Mac The Ripper can be used. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MacTheRipper - A freeware alternative is MPEG StreamClip ( http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html )
Then you will need to load both MPEG-2 files into a DVD Authoring application. iDVD can be used for this. You will need to recreate the menu and chapter points. iDVD will then re-create a new VIDEO_TS folder containing both DVDs. If you don't have iDVD then there's a freeware authoring tool called DVDStyler - http://www.dvdstyler.de/en/downloads

Thanks. I might try this. I haven't burned the DVD's yet though so I have nothing to rip (though I do have Mac the Ripper)...I just have the VIDEO_TS folders. Can I go directly from these to the MPEG-2 files that I need? Or can I reauthor directly from the VIDEO_TS folders? Creating the new menu/chapters might be the bottleneck that makes it more trouble than it's worth but I'd like to try (it'll be a new experience at least). No reason to have this show on 2 discs if it can be authored to fit on one.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:21:55 AM »
Thanks. I might try this. I haven't burned the DVD's yet though so I have nothing to rip (though I do have Mac the Ripper)...I just have the VIDEO_TS folders. Can I go directly from these to the MPEG-2 files that I need?
I'm not sure, you'll have to check whether Mac the Ripper can do this...

Or can I reauthor directly from the VIDEO_TS folders?
You might be able to import the VOB files (do not use the menu VOB though) directly into your authoring application without having to convert them into 1 big MPEG file. Give it a try. I think it's easier to manage fewer files but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Creating the new menu/chapters might be the bottleneck that makes it more trouble than it's worth but I'd like to try (it'll be a new experience at least). No reason to have this show on 2 discs if it can be authored to fit on one.
It's not hard to create a basic menu - it may not look particularly nice but it does the job.

If you were using the Windows OS, there are programs available that would be able to keep the menus intact. I can't remember the names of them though :/

Good luck.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
DVD Remaster is normally $49.99, on special this weekend only for $4.99 in Apple's App Store.

http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/

edit to add:
The price of DVDremaster has gone back up to $49.99, it was a great buy for $4.99 while it lasted.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:04:46 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com