Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Automatic matrixing / looking for shows with many sources available  (Read 7187 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Automatic matrixing / looking for shows with many sources available
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
you'll probably add it but a setting where you can adjust volume on each track instead of amplifying all sources at a time. and a utility to split tracks without sbe errors

really, the only think you should want in a utility like this is:

1) resamples one audio file to match another (bonus points for using a VST wrapper to allow for 3rd party resampling algos).
2) Dithers (again, preferably using a VST wrapper)

Do all of your mixing and other changes elsewhere once they are reclocked.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Wiesel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
Any idea how this compares to the one available in Izotope's RX?

How is Izotope RX able to sync audio tracks?

Singular software's PluralEyes and DualEyes already offers this, no?

Didn't know this one, but there's a few others as well. What they all have in common is that they're not able to compensate time drift.

VST can support more than a single track, up to 8 I/O I believe.  Whether or not a given host can successfully route multiple tracks discretely to that VST is a different matter.  A possible workaround for many hosts would be to combine individual tracks into a single surround track.

Are you sure you're not mixing up audio tracks with the MIDI I/O channels of which VST supports 16? The workaround would be possible, yes, but I am not a big fan of workarounds ;) I have already thought about a better method though, how VST could still be used...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »
Any idea how this compares to the one available in Izotope's RX?

How is Izotope RX able to sync audio tracks?

I guess it's looking for correlated information. I honestly don't know the inner workings, I just use it for correcting inter-channel issues and balance. I was just curious if you're using a similar method.

To be clear, it won't resample, it's just a time-line correction where as you would be doing both steps.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
Singular software's PluralEyes and DualEyes already offers this, no?

Apparently.  Have you tried either?  There's a free trial.

I've tried both with mixed results.  It works great, except when it doesn't.

keytohwy

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
I have studied various versions of the VST programming interface and native multitrack support is definitely not available... what's supported is an arbitrary number of channels therefore they can support surround etc... Anyway, I have been thinking about VST for a while and the nature of how VST works is far from ideal for such kind of software (like you already mentioned, latency would be a big if not the biggest problem). NLE plugins would be possible (like it's done by PluralEyes) but that is out of focus for now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:18:19 PM by Wiesel »

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
Are you planning to have your software analyze the tracks at several points during the recording, in order to make sure that things continue to remain in sync?  I don't know whether clock drift between any two particular sources remains a constant or not, but if not, then it would seem that intermediate points would have to be established.  I imagine that there would have to be a millisecond inserted here or there in order to compensate for the drift, which hopefully can be done in a completely silent manner.

This would make dealing with my four track set up a lot easier, because I could just load them into Audacity, run this program, and then take the two tracks back into Soundforge, which is my personally preferred post production program.  Looking forward to seeing and/or testing your software.

Wow, if only I had known that I could have gotten a college degree in taping.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com