Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA-14 OK for both clubs / shows and home recording?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline SquirrelMurphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
CA-14 OK for both clubs / shows and home recording?
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:31:10 AM »
I'm a newb but I've been reading here for a while now. I have a PCM-M10 and I've recorded a club show and some home jam sessions with the built-in omnis so that's my whole taping resume right there. I want to upgrade the mics and want to check my assumptions before I pull the trigger.

My general use is twofold: record rock music in clubs / small theaters and to record ambiently in a home studio (rock jam sessions). The studio is maybe 25x30 and I usually just tripod mount the M10 in the center of the room because there's a drum kit and a variety of amps there. Stealth isn't critical but I don't want to deal with lots of gear when I go to see a show. I'd rather keep it simple and small in a club but then use the same gear to record when we play music in the studio. Maybe I ultimately need two sets of mics, but for now I'm buying one rig and need to start somewhere.

Budget is low. Maybe $200-$250. I just want to get started and see how this goes.

From what I've read, CA-14 cards and a battery box will get me going. Maybe I add a pre-amp later. Sound acceptable for this use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: CA-14 OK for both clubs / shows and home recording?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »
I would say you're on the right path! Get some CA-14 Cards>9v Battery Box and you will be good to go ;) For quiet stuff tho, you DEF might need a preamp. Maybe something along the Church Audio 9100/9200 is where I would go. In fact I JUST bought a used 9100. I have a battery box for loud shows and super stealth, and have the 9100 for quiet stuff and recording openly :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:49:29 AM »
Second that.  I got into the game a year ago with the CA-14 package and really like what I've been getting.  For the versatility I'd definitely try to round up the extra 50 or so dollars (if your budget is 250 max) and grab the card/omni + 9100 pre-amp package.  (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141135.0).  Amazing quality mics on a budget.  Also they're about as simple as you can get; a little tape and you can mount them anywhere.

I record primarily in bars, small clubs/theaters and for the most part have been incredibility happy with the CA-14 cards as a starter mic.  Looking to upgrade now, but mostly just to get a hyper option to cut out some of the chatter.  That said though, for recording in a quiet rehearsing/jam style setting I personally would like the omni option to try as well.   I've only started trying the omni's in different ways but in the ideal setting I've really like how they sound.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:15:14 AM »
I think Chris pointed out in one of the threads that he is able to trim the cards to perform as hypers or to a point to be between hypers and cards...Thinking about asking him about it.

But maybe he can answer that question himself.

SF

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »
Here's a show I recorded in a living room with CA-14 omnis spaced 12" apart  and battery box . It is a 5 piece acoustic set by Yarn. It's pretty well-balanced, IMO. I recorded a card source with 9100 pre-amp as well and should probably process that one and up it for comparison for questions just like yours.

http://www.archive.org/details/yarn2011-04-16.CA-14omni.flac16

I'd recommend the CA-14 Card & Omni package with a 9100 or 9200 pre-amp. Looks like Chris just had the 9100/CA-14 package at $199.00 until yesterday:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=149923.0

Maybe send him an email and see what he can do.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline SquirrelMurphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »
OK. Sounds like I'm making the right moves here. I saw that sale thread and sent Chris an email under the wire but I haven't hear back yet. Always like a deal to get me to pull the trigger. :)

It sounds as if I should spring for the pre-amp now and just be done with it. I was trying to keep it simple with the battery box and learn as I go, but I'm game for doing it properly I guess.

That Yarn recording sounds nice. Were any of the instruments or vocals amped/mic'd?  It'd be interesting to A/B with the cards.

The card/omni package is two sets of mics? One omni version and one cardioid version? The reason I ask is that I'd think that widely spaced omnis would be good in a small room with amps and instruments all over the place and where some instruments may not be mic'd and people are moving around. I'm worried that cards may be less ideal in that setting, but if I'm getting one set of mics, I really want to be able to use them in clubs too so it seems cards are the best overall choice.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's super helpful.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
OK. Sounds like I'm making the right moves here. I saw that sale thread and sent Chris an email under the wire but I haven't hear back yet. Always like a deal to get me to pull the trigger. :)

It sounds as if I should spring for the pre-amp now and just be done with it. I was trying to keep it simple with the battery box and learn as I go, but I'm game for doing it properly I guess.

That Yarn recording sounds nice. Were any of the instruments or vocals amped/mic'd?  It'd be interesting to A/B with the cards.

The card/omni package is two sets of mics? One omni version and one cardioid version? The reason I ask is that I'd think that widely spaced omnis would be good in a small room with amps and instruments all over the place and where some instruments may not be mic'd and people are moving around. I'm worried that cards may be less ideal in that setting, but if I'm getting one set of mics, I really want to be able to use them in clubs too so it seems cards are the best overall choice.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's super helpful.

The only mics were the CA-14s. No vocal or instrument amplification. The band was pretty tight in around the mics. The card/omni package is two sets of mics, as the CA-14s don't have removable capsules. If you want to do large splits with the omnis, you may want to get a longer cable length. I believe standard is 5 or 6 feet which would allow for 10 or 12 foot split or less depending on how you mount the mics & bb/pre-amp. I'll try to get around to tracking out the card source soon.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com