Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is the Sony M10 good for me and my Schoeps?  (Read 4250 times)

Offline aero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Is the Sony M10 good for me and my Schoeps?
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:06:31 AM »
Hello everyone,
first post here although I've been reading the forum quite a lot in the past months.
Quick intro: I write music for a living, field recording is a passion that sometimes I use as an inspirational element and source material when writing.

I have some good recording gear in my studio, which is not portable at all...
So far I have been recording in the field with dats, minidisks, modded phones, condenser and dynamic mikes...with mixed results.

Now I want to get a decent budget portable recorder and after reading here it seems to me that the Sony PCM - M10 is the best choice.

I have a couple of question that I'd like to submit to your expertise:

- How good are the in-built mikes for field recordings?

- Do you think I should instead get something like a Zoom H4n to get my Schoeps cmc 5 to work with it right out of the box?

- Or shall I just get by with Sony's internal mikes and upgrade to a portable pre when budget permits it?

many thanks for your replies  ;)

val
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:09:36 PM by aero »

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Is the Sony M10 good for me and my Schoeps?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
The internal mics of the PCM-M10 are excellent for recording conversation, ambient sounds, etc.  Very natural sounding--picked up the birdcalls during a recorded conversation outdoors. Probably not comparable to your Schoeps of course.

They Sony specs on the mics claim 20-20,000 Hz but one reviewer (scroll way down) found a roll-off under 100Hz.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2jJ7iuk-gygJ:bartus.org/akustyk/PCMM10/

But if you mean field-recording music, loud bass will overload the built-in mics.

Meanwhile, I've never had a Zoom, but I know there's not a lot of love for the H4N's mic inputs--supposed to be noisy.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?191213-ZOOM-h4n-preamps-are-crap

Maybe someone with a Zoom can offer more advice.

Offline aero

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
thanks for you reply earmonger

I wont be recording live music, more like ambient sounds and nature.
I was put off by the fact that is branded has a device for recording speech, but from reading here it seems to be much more than that.

I had never had a Zoom either and from what I read there's not much love for them here, I figured if its mic input is noisy it wouldn't do too much sense using a Schoeps with it.

Ps great avatar  ;)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »
Many folks here run naiant preamps with an m10 as a reorder. Jon's low noise tiny box is perfect for what you are doing. You could even run a KCY cable directly into the tiny box and bypass the schoeps bodies all together.

The internal mics of the PCM-M10 are excellent for recording conversation, ambient sounds, etc.  Very natural sounding--picked up the birdcalls during a recorded conversation outdoors. Probably not comparable to your Schoeps of course.

They Sony specs on the mics claim 20-20,000 Hz but one reviewer (scroll way down) found a roll-off under 100Hz.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2jJ7iuk-gygJ:bartus.org/akustyk/PCMM10/

But if you mean field-recording music, loud bass will overload the built-in mics.

Meanwhile, I've never had a Zoom, but I know there's not a lot of love for the H4N's mic inputs--supposed to be noisy.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?191213-ZOOM-h4n-preamps-are-crap

Maybe someone with a Zoom can offer more advice.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
Many folks here run naiant preamps with an m10 as a reorder. Jon's low noise tiny box is perfect for what you are doing. You could even run a KCY cable directly into the tiny box and bypass the schoeps bodies all together.

I agree, a tinybox is probably the best cheap setup since it's probably the lowest noise of the phantom proving budget preamps. If you want to avoid the additional cost and new hardware, have it configure with P48 to work with your cmc5s. Then it's just mk caps > cmc5s > breakout cable > tinybox > 3.5mm cable > sony m10. Even with protective padding, that fits in a purse or other small carrier.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline aero

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
thanks for your replies, I know...naiant would the optimum, but I haven't got the budget for it right now, considering also the tax I will have to pay on it when it comes to Europe.

It's definetely on my shopping list for the future tho'

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
Then I'd pick up the M10 for now, no sense in buying pieces as a stop gap if it's only going to be a few months time difference. The onboard mics should be sufficient for general note/clip making. If you think it will be longer, then it's a toss up.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »
I would recommend selling the cmc5 bodies, and going:

caps>KCY>LB/TB>M10

I LOVE my small setup. It sounds AMAZING with the Output Transformers ;) I think its 10x better than my old LemoSax ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »

caps>KCY>LB/TB>M10

I LOVE my small setup. It sounds AMAZING with the Output Transformers ;) I think its 10x better than my old LemoSax ;)

I'm not sure why someone doing nature recordings wants to add distortion of any kind. Perhaps the transformers add something you'd want for rock music (why you wouldn't want complete control of this in post is beyond me), but for nature recordings?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »

caps>KCY>LB/TB>M10

I'm not sure why someone doing nature recordings wants to add distortion of any kind. Perhaps the transformers add something you'd want for rock music (why you wouldn't want complete control of this in post is beyond me), but for nature recordings?

I'm with noah, skip the transformers. They can be ok with rock PA tapes, but that doesn't necessarily translate in other settings.

I don't think there is much to gain in trying to move cmc5 bodies and buying a new kcy cable. Seems more hassle than it's worth.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

caps>KCY>LB/TB>M10

Never thought of that. Good point. He could get input transformers and have a pre with killer low noise preamps. Plus it adds extra gain which hed probably need doing nature/ambient stuff!

I recommended the KCY cable because it seems that running bodies would be VERY cumbersome IMO doing nature/ambient stuff. A super small setup could be had going caps>KCY>TB>M10 8) Seems more manageable for nature stuff!!! Plus, if he sold the cmc5 bodies, after he bought a KCY cable, he could use that $$ towards the TinyBox and M10 ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com