Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK a51tl OUTDOORS..??  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Cactus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sittin @ 4-5 2 in a row...WOW!!!
ADK a51tl OUTDOORS..??
« on: April 07, 2004, 01:22:40 PM »
hey now , just curious if anyone had flown these outdoors.. i was thinking omni for festivals .. any good results.?  ive heard plenty of indoor and def. like the price vs quality.. peace now
Cactus ... Cactus

Bring Back The Ugly Funk

Resident Married, Broke, And On Hiatus Taper

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:ADK a51tl OUTDOORS..??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 02:02:06 PM »
a friend of mine ran TL split omnis> ps2> mod-sbm1 for a festi Summer 2002 - Club DElf, John Browns Body, a few others.  They came out great, but I have no idea where my copies are.

I ran split omnis from the lawn at a Dead show last summer and I liked it better than a Schoeps mk4>mme recording I heard.  Unfortunately I tried to run both a UA5 and VxPocket at the same time into a laptop and it didn't quite work.  My recordings had way too many dropped samples so I just trashed them.

If I get stuck out on the lawn for any shows this summer I will definitely be running TL's split omni.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 03:38:29 PM »
I'm going to try running them j-disc outdoors at a minifestival week after next- I'll let you know how it works out
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 10:15:46 PM »
i have run them outside at red rocks for mmw/sci last fall.  i ran lower than most of the small dia guys, and ran ortf hypers from 20 rows from stage.  my tapes smoked everyone else's that i've heard.  there was far less wind on my recordings than other folks.

my point is this, don't be afraid to run xy or ortf for the outdoor shows.  the card/hyper pattern on the tl's is awesome, very forgiving, and provides as much of the all around sound we get with the outdoor shows.

i doubt ill run splits for any red rocks shows this summer.  certainly wont run splits at the mish.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 11:05:16 AM »
I ran them omni's last summer at Red Rocks and 10k Lakes Festival. If the wind is swirling a lot dont space them to far (1-2" is plenty,) or it can sound wierd. Run a little lower if its windy. If its calm space them as far as you want. You won't get any wind on the tapes, unless its a full thunderstorm like the Wu at 10k Lakes.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 06:17:36 AM »
Moke, there's a guy I see taping from time to time around here that uses some small mini-mics, like the AT 830's or something like that, and attatches them to opposite sides of a 5" grinding wheel.  I always think it's a j-disc and think of your project.  He calls it a home depot special.  :D

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 12:04:25 PM »
Does anyoneone here have any split omni lawn tapes? Id love to hear one!!!

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »
ditto :)
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 04:47:04 PM »
One widely circulated split omni recording is Phish 12/30 & 31 1999.  Pretty sure it's:

u89 (split about 10 feet) -> ad1k

Amazing split omni source and a testiment to hardcore taping on getting all of 12/31....again if I remember right the entire show fits on 10 discs!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 04:51:40 PM »
Oswego 99, u89(split 6')->ad1000 too.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 11:29:29 PM »
I'm going to try running them j-disc outdoors at a minifestival week after next- I'll let you know how it works out

yay Lee! ya make me proud son!

Did you build it, and how?
+T!

Got the parts, I'm constructing tomorrow (Saturday).  It's based on some plastic fencing/latticework for structural support with foam on top of it for the baffle.  I'm thinking about guy-wiring the tops of it to the bar I'm permanantly mounting it on so it's more stable.  Process pictures to come...
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 01:01:40 AM »
One widely circulated split omni recording is Phish 12/30 & 31 1999.  Pretty sure it's:

Amazing split omni source and a testiment to hardcore taping on getting all of 12/31....again if I remember right the entire show fits on 10 discs!

Ya, i got that, all 15 discs from both days! Im kind of curious to hear a split omni tape from the lawn...

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 03:51:05 PM »
I thought you didn't need windscreens when running omni's so with that logic it shouldn't be an issue running at Red Rocks except for the phase shift caused by really bad wind?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 07:03:48 PM »

Ya, i got that, all 15 discs from both days! Im kind of curious to hear a split omni tape from the lawn...

I have a DAT copy of the GD 7-5-95 that Marc Nutter did with B&K 4006->Lunatec 316->Panasonic SV250

I don't know how wide they were split but they sound damn good!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 07:05:06 PM »
I thought you didn't need windscreens when running omni's so with that logic it shouldn't be an issue running at Red Rocks except for the phase shift caused by really bad wind?

the phase shift can be *brutal*

Richard Campbell ran e-scott's mk2's with his tubes at the Friday WSP Red Rocks show and to quote Eric, "It sounds like you stuck the mics in a toilet and flushed"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com