Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)  (Read 94877 times)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Appreciate Tascam working on this...just wish it came sooner.

Let see if I get this right:
======================================================
TASCAM DR-70D Release Notes Updates
V1.10 additions

•Changing the format  - The following options have been headed to the FORMAT item on the SYSTEM screen.

Options
QUICK FORMAT
: Initializes file system information only.
ERASE FORMAT
: Initializes file system information and initializes by erasing all user data areas on the SD card.
NOTE - Using the ERASE FORMAT option might restore an SD card that has decreased writing performance, but this process takes some time.

V1.13 fix

When using the erase format function, writing speed would slow and a Write Timeout error would occur sometimes. This has been fixed.

Dr-701D V1.01 fixes
• Fixed a problem where some SD cards did not report the correct size after ERASE FORMAT.
• Fixed a rare problem where noise could be present in a recording at 96kHz and 192kHz.
• Operation stability has been improved.

Seems over and over they have many problems with their erase format in both decks.
Did they have the problem in the DR70d too with "Fixed a problem where some SD cards did not report the correct size after ERASE FORMAT" that was reported for the DR-701D deck and just did not tell us they fixed it. How could it be in one deck and not the other? Not reporting the correct size after a erase format is pretty basic stuff for a programmer!!!

Has this been the problem we have been experiencing with our SD cards? Meaning their format routine...
Many have had noise recording at 96K.

The erase format is not a problem that I know of on any of there other tascam decks?
Do they use a new software program for the "erase format" in the Dr70s decks that they did not use on other decks and it did not work properly?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:57:11 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
The wording of this update is a little surprising to me.  The Write Timeout error is what would sometimes pop up for people during recording with certain cards.  I never knew it could appear during formatting.  I suppose that if you consider that an erase format writes to the whole card then it could be a similar condition to cause that error.

I think the wording is a bit clumsy. I took it to mean that if you used the erase format function, a Write Timeout error could occur at any time in the course of general usage, i.e., during recording "sometimes".

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »
Gotta wonder if the "Write Timeout" was happening more than the recorder was reporting?

Plenty of us had issues that weren't obvious during use...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2016, 04:46:42 PM »
man, they can't get it right on the website OR in the machine, huh?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
man, they can't get it right on the website OR in the machine, huh?

You noticed that too..   ::)

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
disgusting. The release notes with the info about 1.13 are the ones titled
DR-70D firmware ver 1.12 release notes - 69 KB
2016-01-13 00:00:01

Has anyone tried "1.31" aka 1.13 yet? I am taking the deck as backup and wonder if I should if it a go??!? aargh. no.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

stevetoney

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
disgusting. The release notes with the info about 1.13 are the ones titled
DR-70D firmware ver 1.12 release notes - 69 KB
2016-01-13 00:00:01

Has anyone tried "1.31" aka 1.13 yet? I am taking the deck as backup and wonder if I should if it a go??!? aargh. no.

I installed it and did a couple hours of testing last night with the new version.  I recorded a couple of hours of internet music, stopped and started a couple to times to create several files and then played it back.  I didn't listen to 100% of what I recorded, but everything seems to be working fine.

I have some strong feelings about the text of this latest release as related to the run-around we've received from Tascam since the symptoms resulting from this issue were first identified to them, not to mention the fan boys that set up defense for Tascam against those of us that were actually experiencing the problems.  But I'm gonna just bite my lip and leave it at that.

Bottom line is I'm glad that they identified that the problem was write speeds corrupted by the 'erase write' function and issued the fix to what we were experiencing.  As someone else has already mentioned, a completely new 'cards that work' list seems in order since clearly the current list was developed before the fix was implemented. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:24:08 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
^ I thought you and I had buried the hatchet, TD? ::)

A few thoughts:

1. Whoever Tascam has updating their websites needs to be canned.  There's no excuse, even for a much smaller company, to have these repeated misprints / typos.  Take a look at the European DR-70D page for lots of errors.

2. Finally we appear to have somewhat of an explanation - that 1.10 was the culprit because of a faulty erase format routine.  If indeed that has been fixed with 1.13, then maybe Tascam can finally get around to working on the other issues we'd like to see addressed.

3. After the very similar issues coming out with the 701D, I am now in the camp that Tascam is not to be trusted with testing their products thoroughly before release.  I love the 70D, but it is probably the last product I'll buy from them.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:56 AM »

3. After the very similar issues coming out with the 701D, I am now in the camp that Tascam is not to be trusted with testing their products thoroughly before release.  I love the 70D, but it is probably the last product I'll buy from them.

It took a while, but I just KNEW you'd come back to your senses.

Now, if people could get their hard-earned money back....

:P
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

stevetoney

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

My comment didn't single anyone out specifically.  Lots of people were involved with this over the last four or five months.

So as far as I'm concerned, there's no hatchet, only lessons to be learned.  My hope in making the comment above is that people that were active in this saga will look back and reflect on what they'd do differently.  I'm not proud of some of the things I said at points along the way (emotions get in the way of rational thought sometimes), but in the end I'm really glad that I had a role in pushing Tascam and not being satisfied with their interim explanations and/or 'solutions'.  As poorly as I think they handled this overall, I do have to give Tascam credit for forging ahead with this fix.  Perhaps they learned some lessons as well.

Anyway, the bottom line is we're all on the same team and we can use our collective 'voice'.  A unified team is stronger than a fractured one.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:54:20 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2016, 09:09:26 AM »
Your cards are worn out.  Use only these 10 or so cards.  Then release a firmware fix. 

It would be interesting if a broader range of cards now work, and the underlying issue turns out to have been the firmware all along. 

The real losers may turn out to be the 70d owners who sold their recorders at a loss.

Consumer reports has advised against buying the first model year of a car to give time to iron out problems.  It could be good advise for buying recorders to wait a year and see what develops before buying a new model.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »

2. Finally we appear to have somewhat of an explanation - that 1.10 was the culprit because of a faulty erase format routine.  If indeed that has been fixed with 1.13, then maybe Tascam can finally get around to working on the other issues we'd like to see addressed.

Huh? - how do you figure that?

I have 1.00 firmware...

stevetoney

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »

Huh? - how do you figure that?

I have 1.00 firmware...

That's why I said I have issues with the text of their firmware update.  I can't read between the lines, but I'll try. 

I think they finally figured out there's a write speed issue with the 70D, which is what some of us had been hinting to as the source of the problem for a long time.  The text implies that it was limited to an error in implementing 'erase write' on version 1.10, but you and I know that the issue pre-dated version 1.10.  Frankly, I don't care if the update description is lame, as long as they fixed the problem.  Let's hope that, regardless of the text associated with the v1.13 update, that they fixed the root cause of the issue this time.

stevetoney

« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
Here's a pretty nifty bag specially designed for the DR70D, if anyone's interested.  Check out the demo video.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1200016-REG/k_tek_kstg70_stingray_bag_for.html

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2016, 04:00:31 PM »
Unless someone really sees a reason to upgrade the firmware I am going to stay put where I am. I have not had any issue using the PNY Elite card and have used the deck for both 2 and 4 channel recordings.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com