Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Zoom F4 with six inputs and eight tracks (is like a new low priced F8!)

<< < (2/25) > >>

HJD:
Thanks for posting this IronFilm and for the writing up that detailed blog post! :) It just great that high quality preamps are becoming more affordable. I'm quite tempted by the F4 and look forward to reviews, but if the F8 is anything to go by, then the F4 should be a winner ;)

stevetoney:

--- Quote from: aaronji on September 06, 2016, 03:20:49 PM ---Off topic a bit, but do you find that you generally need attenuators with the F8?

--- End quote ---

I don't.  When i bought my f8 a year ago I also bought a pair of in-line attenuators while I was awaiting delivery bc i didn't like the idea of using TR or TRS connectors instead of xlrs.  Since then I've become a bit of a fan of using my TRS connectors.  Mine are right angle and the size of my bag is such that there's no risk of them being pulled out accidentally.  They're super easy to install and remove without the need to pull the recorder out like you generally have to with locking xlrs.  Best of all is that they rotate to whatever exit angle / position you need them to. 

Sebastian:

--- Quote from: aaronji on September 06, 2016, 03:20:49 PM ---Off topic a bit, but do you find that you generally need attenuators with the F8?

--- End quote ---

The first time I used it, the levels got a bit too hot for my tastes with the gain all the way down. I always used the attenuators since then.

--- Quote from: tonedeaf on September 06, 2016, 04:06:01 PM ---I don't.  When i bought my f8 a year ago I also bought a pair of in-line attenuators while I was awaiting delivery bc i didn't like the idea of using TR or TRS connectors instead of xlrs.  Since then I've become a bit of a fan of using my TRS connectors.  Mine are right angle and the size of my bag is such that there's no risk of them being pulled out accidentally.  They're super easy to install and remove without the need to pull the recorder out like you generally have to with locking xlrs.  Best of all is that they rotate to whatever exit angle / position you need them to. 

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'd totally use TRS plugs, but the F8 does not pass phantom power through them.

Hypnocracy:
Toney uses a external Preamp, not the onboard pre's of his F8.

The 1/4" inputs for Line Levels and XLR for Mic/Phantom Power is a "feature". I have that same feature on my old Fostex FR2LE. Saves the real estate, of which there is not much on these two units,  needed for a switch to choose Line or Mic (like the Mic/Line switch on DR680). It just requires you to be prepared with the right cables for the desired type of input.

Fried Chicken Boy:
To make sure I'm reading the specs correctly, this recorder has 4 XLR/TRS inputs and another input(s) for channels 5 and 6, yes?  In the pictures of the deck it appears that there are two ways to do the 5/6 input: an 1/8-inch (presumably stereo) plug and there's something else on the back of the device next to the SD card door.  Anyone know what type of input that is?  TIA. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version