Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

Need Help With Hi-8 Tapes

<< < (2/9) > >>

Charlie Miller:

--- Quote from: beatkilla on September 06, 2017, 09:34:07 PM ---http://videotransferboston.com/8mm-hi8-and-digital8/

Information about the three 8mm formats....it's possible these may be digital 8

--- End quote ---

Thanks but that would cost over $1,000, unless I misread it.

ilduclo:
Bunch of decent camcorders on eBay for around 50$  :shrug:

Charlie Miller:

--- Quote from: ilduclo on September 07, 2017, 08:58:13 AM ---Bunch of decent camcorders on eBay for around 50$  :shrug:

--- End quote ---

Yeah I saw that. Thing is I know nothing about video and don't know what I need.

bombdiggity:
Video 8/Hi-8/Digital 8 are very sensitive on playback, especially as they age.  The sound quality and picture quality can vary dramatically depending on the player used to play them back.  The tracking is also very delicate so some tapes don't play well in some (or even most) machines. 

To do it right is time consuming and often trial and error even with good machines.  The stand alone Sony players are the best but there's a lot of variation among them.  The more expensive ones definitely give better results but due to the iterations in development of the original technology not all tapes play best on any one generation of machine IME. 

I'm not sure camcorder playback is too good an idea unless its the same one they were recorded on. 

Good luck.  If they're really of value and worth doing right it's a big project. 

rigpimp:
Charlie, give me a call.  I have a buddy that that has a Canopus and a Sony HI8

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version