Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Zoom H3-VR

<< < (2/11) > >>

ThePiedPiper:
I'm pre-ordering. Very excited about this. I "think" I have a very good use for it ... can't wait!

Nick's Picks:
this will be a great mic for bands to play with.   Recording practices and gigs and what not....., very slick IMO.

borjam:
Now maybe Rycote or Cinela will release a proper windproof hat for it  >:D

Ozpeter:
I always thought of the H2N as "a mic that records" but in this case, there is no other way of describing it.  The whole point of the device is the mic array and the processing behind it.  So, it will sink or swim according to the quality of those mics.  The device has no point if the mics are not adequate.  Right now I am not seeing any info about the specs of the mics.  It's very likely that we will know nothing about them till the reviews are in.  So personally I wouldn't dream of pre-ordering.

What gives me cause for optimism is that they could use capsules with some deficiences but remedy those deficiences in the following electronics, given that the capsules are going to be used with the device and nothing else.

On the other hand, for myself, I don't hear a significant difference in built in mic quality between the H1N, H2, and H2N.  Will the H3 use H1N capsules, but just twice as many, or something completely new?  Lack of any mention in the blurb (that I have read) about mic quality makes me wonder.  It would have been nice to have read something about "newly developed mic capsules" or the like.

ThePiedPiper:

--- Quote from: Ozpeter on September 14, 2018, 07:06:55 AM ---I always thought of the H2N as "a mic that records" but in this case, there is no other way of describing it.  The whole point of the device is the mic array and the processing behind it.  So, it will sink or swim according to the quality of those mics.  The device has no point if the mics are not adequate.  Right now I am not seeing any info about the specs of the mics.  It's very likely that we will know nothing about them till the reviews are in.  So personally I wouldn't dream of pre-ordering.

What gives me cause for optimism is that they could use capsules with some deficiences but remedy those deficiences in the following electronics, given that the capsules are going to be used with the device and nothing else.

On the other hand, for myself, I don't hear a significant difference in built in mic quality between the H1N, H2, and H2N.  Will the H3 use H1N capsules, but just twice as many, or something completely new?  Lack of any mention in the blurb (that I have read) about mic quality makes me wonder.  It would have been nice to have read something about "newly developed mic capsules" or the like.

--- End quote ---

Well said. I agree (read: FINGERS CROSSED).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version