Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK TLs...  (Read 7491 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
ADK TLs...
« on: July 08, 2004, 01:09:30 PM »
Haha, I just realized, I dont know which side of the TLs is the front! Could somebody help me! THANKS!

Offline Swampy

Re: ADK TLs...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 01:13:30 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
"ADK" logo = front.

funny story... this one time I was stage lip for a Derek Trucks show running the Neumann tlm170s cards x/y.  During the break before the encore I notice the red Neumann logos pointed in my direction as I stood behind the mics.  I had the mics pointed at the crowd instead of the stage!  I immediately switched the patterns from cardiod to fig-8 and did pull off a nice blumlein recording for the encore.  Definitely one of my biggest goofs, and now I never forget to double check which way the mics are rotated.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 01:55:06 PM »
Alex,....
Its REAL EASY to switch patterns while making last minute adjustments before flying the mics. So always double check the switch setting also!

yep! i definitely ran a hyper and a card one night while not paying attention. doesn't sound bad but when you pan to to each channel they sound noticeably different.

edit: oh yeah, and another +T for the TL's ... you're gonna love 'em!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »
I wondered that also when I first got them.......great mics, you will enjoy them, run the omni's splt
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 02:09:43 PM »
I second that emotion. Ran 8" split omni for an outdoor show on Monday...GREAT results. Wonderful presence, with the vocals up front, and a pretty accurate soundstage, even given my modest playback system. I'll definitely fun the TL's like this again outdoors!
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Swampy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 02:10:39 PM »
Haha, thanks for the advice guys!

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
I second that emotion. Ran 8" split omni for an outdoor show on Monday...GREAT results. Wonderful presence, with the vocals up front, and a pretty accurate soundstage, even given my modest playback system. I'll definitely fun the TL's like this again outdoors!

I assume you meant 8 feet not inches?  Probably gonna try some split omnis this weekend if I can find another stand to clamp to.

-Kevin

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 02:15:15 PM »
Nope. 8 Inches. Honest! I was a bit skeptical myself, but after hearing that the distance you place omnis is an in-exact science at best, and that others had acheived satisfactory (or even great) results running them as close as 6" apart, I decided to give it a shot. Worked great to my ears.

Per this thread:  http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21316.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 02:17:08 PM by Tony B »
Coffee is for Closers

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 02:26:32 PM »
Interesting.  Think my tbar will get them about that far apart...may try that tonite since I won't need an extra stand.

-Kevin

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 02:42:31 PM »
space em out a bit further, you'll like the results much more...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 02:50:06 PM »
i think with an 8" spread, using a j-disc would yield much better results, than without.  I'm gonna test this out in august for the euphio campout. but hey if you guys like the results then that's all that matters :)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 02:50:16 PM »
I have run them on omni about 8 inches a part, made a great recording, the farther you split them, the more stereo affect you get, and the more "space" you will here, I found both ways sound differnet but equally good.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline Brian

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »
hey creek,

did you point the caps towards the stacks, or rotate them off axis at all? or just plain AB style? i'm gonna try this out sometime but point the caps towards the speakers.  higher frequencies are more directional so i think it would yield the best results sonically.

thanks

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 02:59:16 PM »
I did plain A/B style, but I was so close that it really didn't matter
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Brian

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 03:03:39 PM »
stack tape? sorry for all the questions, just trying to paint some sort of picture.

moke - 8" is too tight eh?  i guess it all really depends how close you are to the sound source.  i'll just have to experiment then, come august!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 03:11:56 PM »
stack tape? sorry for all the questions, just trying to paint some sort of picture.

moke - 8" is too tight eh?  i guess it all really depends how close you are to the sound source.  i'll just have to experiment then, come august!

I wouldn't say a stack tape, DFC for sure, close to the stage
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Brian

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 03:14:18 PM »
cool, thanks mike!  can't wait to try the j-disc out!

last questions creek, i promise ;D - acoustic or PA and about how far away from the stage.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 03:20:53 PM »
PA, maybe 30ft from the stage
In Tyler we Trust

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 04:29:27 PM »
I ran a 24' (approximately) split omnis at hornings hideout for david bromberg and yonder mountain string band.  it rocks, IMO. 

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15750

also

blumlein the night before:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15717

and XY from the night before that:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15700
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2004, 04:39:04 PM »
space em out a bit further, you'll like the results much more...

I would've, but I was the only taper there. Well, I think there was one guy taping for the Wu (this was the Violent Femmes and the Wu at Taste of Minnesota), but he was just doing SBD. At any rate, I'd love to try that JDisc once it's made its rounds.

Great mics, though. Ok. Fluff mode off (I refuse to spell with a "PH")  ;)
Coffee is for Closers

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 03:02:31 PM »
no, not too tight, but it can produce some really tight panning. Yes, mic location in relation to source is everything!

The beauty of the 4 mic bar is that you can pretty much cover everything from the mics butted tight to the disc, and out to about 17", 18"?? apart depending on mounts. So you can really craft a custom sound with some mic position tweaking.

I'm going to fly my new mini 4060 j-disc for the first time on sunday!! yea!!
(maybe saturday, but I might be doing open, accepted stealth recording in a tie on saturday!! a friggin tie, I dont even own one of those life choking beasts!!)

Moke, I'm very interested in this mini J-disc. I have searched and only see pix of the larger one you made. Can you point me in the direction where this is talked about? With my impending 4060's, and instances when I wouldn't have to necessarily stealth (empty theater sitzprobe) I'd be interested in running this setup.

My wife is getting ansy at my spending money. DAMN YOU TO H-e-DOUBLE HOCKY STICKS!

No tie? uHM....bro....you hafta get OUT more!
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 04:12:11 PM »
I assume you meant 8 feet not inches? 

Fuck the napkin! We had a stonehenge monument in danger of being trampled by a dwarf!

zowie

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 05:33:02 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to run as cards in tight (like 8") spacing AB?

Offline Brian

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 05:34:56 PM »
jsut playing devil's advocate here to help you answer your own questions as i've been finding this whole omni spacing thing quite fascinating....

what about usung cards in that situation would lead you to belive that it would be better?

zowie

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2004, 05:50:33 PM »
I would think there would be a more believable image if sound from the far right is attenuated in the left channel because it is outside the heart of the card pattern, and vice versa with sound from the left in right channel.

Offline Brian

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2004, 06:00:52 PM »
good call!  makes logical sense to me!

i think creekfreak was experimenting, but i'm also guessing he was recording off of a mono PA and wanted to know how the omnis would sound.....

see i'm all about the stereo configs if there is an actual stereo mix.  I usually run xy if it is not.  however there are lots of people who prefer the "off-axis" sound their mics produce with near coincident patterns even if recording off of a mono PA. for example lots of sr77 owners swear by ORTF no matter what situaton because there is something about the off-axis sound that is more pleasing with the mics this way.

with the TL's and a lot of LD mics, there off-axis pickup is nowhere near as good as SD's and can be quite sloppy.  so(95% of the time) i'll only run near coincident if there is a stereo mix or if i'm way FOBDFC in the sweet spot where i'll usually just go Cardioids 17cm90º (DINa) or split omnis.

now in a TS(not FOB) say at a big festival,  i might go hypers DIN if i am DFC to help bring the music more upfront, or split omnis....and if i'm not DFC i'll just go XY at one of the stacks being that far away and all.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 06:02:25 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 06:57:09 PM »
experimenting is exactly what I was doing, and the tapes came out great. It was a mono PA for sure...
In Tyler we Trust

zowie

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 07:21:39 PM »
I bought TLs particularly for use with classical on which stereo image is particularly important -- need to preserve relationship of instruments, as well as sense of space.

Offline Brian

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 07:43:11 PM »
I bought TLs particularly for use with classical on which stereo image is particularly important -- need to preserve relationship of instruments, as well as sense of space.

nice! you and moke should start talking to each other...... that's all he tapes and he used to use TLs :)

what techniques have you used so far?  i'm looking to get into more "acoustic" type recordings of orchestral ensembles, jazz ensembles, and all types of different acoustical ensembles(african, middle eastern music)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.228 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com