Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Digimod Question?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
UA-5 Digimod Question?
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:02:55 PM »
So, I'm expecting my stock UA-5 in the mail tomorrow, and I will promptly perform my DIY digimod. I've seen two methods of doing this however.. there's the method on DKlein's page which involves cutting the trace to the R8 resistor and jumping the two solder points in step 2... but I've also heard of another method (recommended by Doug Oade) that is similar but instead of cutting the trace to R8, the resistor R8 is removed entirely... his claim is that it is easily removed and can be saved to solder back onto the board to return functionality (and then the jumper cable would be removed too).... I'm assuming both methods accomplish the same thing, but I'm wondering which is easier and which most people use here on the boards... thanks for the help!

JasonGreen

Re: UA-5 Digimod Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 12:51:08 AM »
I assume just cutting rather than taking one out.  If you wanted it stock again, you could just solder it back.

That would be my choice at least.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:11:58 AM »
Yes, both accomplish the same thing.  I personally thought it would be hard to remove a resistor so I went the route of cutting the trace.   It was pretty easy, just very tiny and delicate work!   And some people argue that it is easy to fix a cut trace too but using a solder pen.   I don't ever plan on putting it back to stock form since I bought it used and had no warranty on it anyways if it does ever happen to break sometime in the future.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 01:13:53 AM »
Hey Chris, looks like we'll end up with the exact same rig... how you liking it? I will probably opt for the cut trace as well, since I won't be returning it to stock either.... unless someone else suggests otherwise.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 01:15:36 AM »
I just performed the mod on my UA5 and I did it the Oade way of removing the resistor. This way is easy and you don't run the risk of cutting the wrong trace by accident. The resistor came off easily with a little touch of the soldering iron on either side. Don't leave the iron on the board for longer than a second at a time, (less heating of the board. Now if I have to put it back to stock I can have look like it hasn't been changed. It is easy if you are comfortable with a soldering iron.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 01:18:15 AM »
Hmm, well, it seems either way has it's advantages/disadvantages... I have a steady hand and am capable with a soldering iron, so it's just a matter of choosing which to do... maybe I should do a poll! haha.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 01:20:32 AM »
Hey Chris, looks like we'll end up with the exact same rig... how you liking it? I will probably opt for the cut trace as well, since I won't be returning it to stock either.... unless someone else suggests otherwise.

I love my rig :)   These are pretty darn close sounding to AKG's, just maybe a very slight step down but a great bang for the buck in my opinion.  I don't really see upgrading in the near future either unless I do a major upgrade on mics but I definately don't have the cash to do that.   Could possibly upgrade to a warm mod UA-5 but I'd have to buy an entirely new UA-5 to do that.

The only major drawback I see with my rig right now iis that I'd really like to get the other caps for the mics...hyper and omni.  They don't currently sell those seperately though :(   You have to buy bodies + caps to get 'em.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 01:21:35 AM »
i have had a lot of experince modding game sytems and such so i did the cut trace and single jumper wire method.  I'm not into removing those tiny resistors.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 01:22:59 AM »
I've got very good eyes and a steady hand so was just more confident cutting it.  

I was more worried about soldering the jumper wire on actually since I am not all that handy with a solder iron.   But I got it figured out.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 01:27:39 AM »
I guess I should wait until I can actually see how big the resistors are.... if they're real tiny, then cutting the trace would probably be easier... maybe I'll have to go searching for a magnifying glass too.. ahaha.

Prior to the UA-5, I have been using a simple dual phantom power supply and line transformers, but the phantom power supply just fried on me, so I figured I'd take the next logical step up to the UA-5 and cpclark gave me a sweet price... here's the last show I taped ... really makes the lux'es sound smokin'.... let me know what you think:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15848

It's a Bela Fleck & The Flecktones show here at the jazz fest in Ottawa, Canada from a couple weeks ago. Cheers.. I'll update you all on the progress of my digimod and then post rig pics including the canakit VU meters i'm going to make and my SLA battery setup.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 07:53:43 AM »
I removed the resistor so I could restore it back to "stock", but I don't think I could solder that resistor back in place. I think I would do it that way again if I had to though. Honestly, soldering the jumper was harder than removing the resistor. Good luck with the Canakit - post pictures when you get it done.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com