Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

The Perfect Stealth Rig ??

<< < (2/25) > >>

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: AmbysShrink on August 14, 2004, 02:54:21 PM ---Wow, could you really get all that in?  That's way better than my stealth setup, but I always worry about getting busted and walking out with nothing, so I go as small as possible.
--- End quote ---

Yup.  The stealth setup (Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100)  is easy - fits down my pants.  Haven't had to go through a metal detector yet, but I know a buddy with the exact same setup who's gotten through detectors (don't know if he didn't set them off or told them he had a cock ring or what).

Getting the full setup in (MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3) is easy with a small fanny pack if they're not patting down.
--- Quote from: Josephine on August 14, 2004, 03:01:05 PM ---I'm looking for something really compact.
--- End quote ---

If you can get into a good location, it's tough to beat the size/performance of something like DPA 4061 > MPS-something-or-other battery box, forget the model name) > D100/M1 or MD or NJB3.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the Sound Professionals and/or AT mic stealth setups as well - great size/performance on a budget.

Robby Grossman:

--- Quote from: Josephine on August 14, 2004, 03:01:05 PM ---I'm looking for something really compact.  Most of the venues I go to search and have metal detectors, so I'm interested in equipment that will be easy to get through security.
--- End quote ---
This is why I like MD for stealth.  You can just plug in headphones and then you don't even have to hide it.

Josephine:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on August 14, 2004, 03:04:08 PM ---If you can get into a good location
--- End quote ---

Ahhh, which brings up another question.  Just what is a "good" location?
I was under the impression that the best place to record from was a ways back and centered. 
However, here I've read alot about getting up close to one of the stacks.
Although I do plan on some indoor shows, the majority of my recording attempts will be
at outside venues, such as The Greek Theatre or the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
Where are the best seats  ??

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: Josephine on August 14, 2004, 03:16:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on August 14, 2004, 03:04:08 PM ---If you can get into a good location
--- End quote ---

Ahhh, which brings up another question.  Just what is a "good" location?
I was under the impression that the best place to record from was a ways back and centered. 
However, here I've read alot about getting up close to one of the stacks.
--- End quote ---

Depends on the venue and your listening preferences.

I've never been a big fan of stealth stack recordings.  They just sound flat to me, no air, no space, kinda like a soundboard.  A ways back and centered provides some of the sonic characteristics I enjoy in most live recordings - image, soundstage, a sense of space.  Best bet - try both and see which you prefer.

Sorry, can't help with seat locations for the venues you listed, but usually somewhere between 10-30 rows back works well.  All depends on how far the stacks are split, etc.  Check the Venue forum - maybe someone has commented on the sweet spots for those venues.

Zaphod:
Hey Brian, out of curiosity how big is the Sanosax compared to a PS2/AD20 combo?

I can't get both of those in + all my other stuff. Recording with AT853s and phantom power modules almost seems like recording with actives and bodies, but minus the great sound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version