Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: editing out crowd noise  (Read 7770 times)

Offline porphyry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Grimshaw- the World's First Bootlegger
editing out crowd noise
« on: August 05, 2003, 12:20:25 PM »
ok this question is more about editing than computer hardware/software but i couldn't find a better category for it....

does anyone have any good editing tips for reducing* crowd noise, in particular bastards who talk during the show, in the recording?

[*now i know it is very very difficult to reduce crowd noise without affecting the quality of the music because it falls in the same frequency range as instruments, vocals etc. but what i'm after is any special tips or tricks that work really well in reducing the impact of crowd noise, especially talking.]

i've been using cool edit pro but obviously the same principles used in one program can be applied to another.

special tricks? anyone?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 12:44:31 PM by porphyry »

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:editing out crowd noise
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 12:34:06 PM »
that would be tough...what software are you using?
i have never tried to reduce crowd noise, but i have been able to reduce wind and real heavy bass, though i don't have a special trick for it, per se.  i looked at the frequency analysis of the wave form and noticed certain frequencies were more pronounced during times of wind or bass, and i used a filter in cool edit to lower that frequency.  if you can isolate the affected frequencies and then attenuate them that might help, but you may also remove one of the instruments from the mix if it falls on that same frequency!  other than that...tell the people around you to shut the hell up!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 05:44:16 AM »
that would be tough...what software are you using?
i have never tried to reduce crowd noise, but i have been able to reduce wind and real heavy bass, though i don't have a special trick for it, per se.  i looked at the frequency analysis of the wave form and noticed certain frequencies were more pronounced during times of wind or bass, and i used a filter in cool edit to lower that frequency.  if you can isolate the affected frequencies and then attenuate them that might help, but you may also remove one of the instruments from the mix if it falls on that same frequency!  other than that...tell the people around you to shut the hell up!

get yer mics up as high as possible, thats all I can say

Simp, what do you do to minimize wind noise? I had a hell of a time with wind at my last 2 outdoor experiences

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 12:32:01 PM »
minimize it during the show?  one answer - windscreens.  i'm liking the dpa screens i got from sonic sense, they are worlds better than the dust covers that came with the oktavas, but there are better ones out there.
as for post-show editing...i have used both cool edit and sound forge to do it, cool edit was a little friendlier to me.  basically i pulled up a frequency analysis window while it was playing and looked for spikes in a certain frequency band during wind, then i lowered those frequencies with a eq filter or something...i don't have it in front of me right now so i can't tell you what i used exactly.  play around with it and see what you can do...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: editing out crowd noise
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 05:16:47 PM »
bumpage. so there really isnt any way w/ wavelab5 or the like to reduce loud talkers? i wish people would just stfu at rock concerts. ::)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 01:28:35 PM »
If the talking is uniformly during the music and is louder than the music, compression can be applied to increase the volume of the music therby decreasing the impact of the talking.  I'm no expert with using the function but it works well when the applause is louder than the music.  In Goldwave there is a preset which does this.  I don't think anything can be done to talking without losing the background musical information.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 05:17:32 PM »
im from the school of no post-production besides resampling and dithering (read: i really dont know how to apply compression w/ wavelab5), so i guess ill deal. thanks. +t

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 10:15:24 AM »
bumpage. so there really isnt any way w/ wavelab5 or the like to reduce loud talkers? i wish people would just stfu at rock concerts. ::)

Not unless you buy the boxed version, bring it to shows with you, and use it to clobber people over the head. ;)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 11:00:13 AM »

Not unless you buy the boxed version, bring it to shows with you, and use it to clobber people over the head. ;)

+t for making me spit cinnamon toast crunch on my screen.

Offline rerem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 07:50:38 AM »
tranquilizer darts are effective and a good blowgun is cheap and silent-at pygmy.com you can buy one with seashells

Offline rerem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 08:03:01 AM »
seriously you can reduce between song applause but human voices are midrange-as are the singers you are taping and most of the instruments-making it tough,in theory IF it was one person speaking in a monotone a very narrow notch could help but it would be VERY difficult. Compression reduces the Dynamic range-the gap between loudest and softest,expansion,which increases DR might help a little,but either would probably give more side effects than results. Shotguns or fairly directional Cardiods reject more side-rear signal than omnis

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com