Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lappy for 18chan 24/96 multitracking (I'm set up!)  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: lappy for 18chan 24/96 multitracking (I'm set up!)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 02:34:08 PM »
Nice Mat!!  +T I just got my new completely pimped out G4 powerbook and will be doing 24/88.2 recording with Steinberg's Cubase SX3.  From waht i've read and been told, a 7200rpm drive is the minimum for any intense recording(ie lots of tracks).  Right now I got two firewire 7200rpm 8mb cache drives.  Cubase has not come in yet but when it does the testing will begin.

my interface is a motu 828mkII FWIW.

once congrats on the multitrack rig!

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 02:44:04 PM »
big ups for the new rig!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I am currently in the process of assembling a new multitrack rig.  I am thinking about going with one or two Motu 896's, maybe a Octopre, or anything else that tickles my fancy.  So many options to consider, and I change my mind about 3 times a day...

anbody wanna buy a Digidesign 001 with the 6.4 update?   ;D

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »
From waht i've read and been told, a 7200rpm drive is the minimum for any intense recording(ie lots of tracks). 
my interface is a motu 828mkII FWIW.

once congrats on the multitrack rig!

I've heard that too, but I wanted to try the stock drive and see.  I ended up going usb2 instead of firewire for my external because I'm using a pcmcia card for the firewire from the mixer and I didn't want to stress it out too much... according to people at the mackie forum who use these things, the usb2 works just as well as the firewire.
     On another note, there is an awesome article posted at www.micsuply.com about setting up your xp computer for taping.  Some of the things I already do, but many things that I would have never even thought of.  I recomend you check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.micsupply.com/laptopoptimizing.htm

I'm trying to get a go-ahead for tomorrow night for multitracking Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey in Chicago... with any luck I'll be bustin some 24bit multitracked love real soon.  The Wu next weekend is a for sure.  Man I'm excited about this rig.  I'm sure I will be buggin you two and others when it comes time for the mixdown stage... That will be a first for me for sure.  I guess we'll see how good my ears (and my patience) really are soon enough.  I know there are a few people here who multitrack and I'm sure many more who would like to learn with us... I think I will start a team! 

Matt

*edit* http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=36201.msg461749#msg461749
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 03:23:37 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 03:23:39 PM »
+t
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »
make sure you have some descent monitors for mixdowns, or if you ddon't, make sure you take your mixes around to dif setups to listen on (boombox, car cd, dif home stereos).  And get yourself the Waves plugins, they are indespencible!! (sp?)
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 10:57:06 PM »
make sure you have some descent monitors for mixdowns, or if you ddon't, make sure you take your mixes around to dif setups to listen on (boombox, car cd, dif home stereos).  And get yourself the Waves plugins, they are indespencible!! (sp?)

That is good advice for sure.  I currently have a Nakamichi Reciever and a pair of Polk monitors.  I like the polks better than the nak, so I think I'm going to get a pre and some monoblocks as my next little bit of sluttiness.  I went to a high end audio shop to check out some new loudpeakers, and the guy showed me the pardigram reference series.  $1600 bucks and the bass was absolute slop shit.  My polks were much better in the bass range.  The polks in the mids are average, and the highs sound great.  Thoes great sounding highs actually sound great with most anything...very forgiving.  That is the only thing I don't like about using the polks for my post work.  Every now and again I'll think I'm golden then throw a cd in my car and the highs are shit.  I have a pair of vifa tweets collecting dust and I may play with them as a supertweeter for the polks, or just hack the polks and wire them in.  they are sealed back tweets and have a great mid sound as well.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com