Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Really considering a JB3  (Read 3304 times)

Offline javertim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Really considering a JB3
« on: May 22, 2005, 09:08:50 PM »
I'm interested in getting a JB3 and at least trying it out.  From what I've heard, it seems like it's much more worth my while than a Hi-MD.  However, I do have a few questions, and I was hoping that someone could answer them before I make my purchase ...

1) Does the JB3 make its own tracks when recording a weak signal through the line-in?  This is one fature I could never stand about the Sony MDs.

2) Does the JB3 have different recording options like Manual and Auto ... And can you chose a manual recording level (such as with MD)?  If so, does it remember this or does it revert to a default after you stop recording?

3) How easy is it to initiate the recording process with the JB3?

4) Is there a noticeable sound-quality difference between the compressed audio of a MD recording and an uncompressed with the JB3?

5) What is a good way to "hide" this piece of equipment?  I usually take a backpack with me whenever I go to the theatre (which is what I will be using the JB3 for) and I guess I could just put the recorder into my bag and put the bag on my lap during the show.  I like the fact that it looks  lot like a standard CD player -- it will look a lot less conspicuous.  Still, it's not exactly the most compact recorder, so I'm wondering how others hide theirs (especially when sitting).

6) The FAQ says the JB3 can records for 3 hours in one WAV recording session.  But it can hold a lot more than just 3 hours worth of WAV format audio, right?  This probably sounds like a ridiculously stupid question ... From the FAQ I gather that once I press STOP after recording a 3-hour WAV, I can just hit record and easily get another 3 hours ...

Thanks all! :-)

Tim

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:35:56 PM by javertim »

Offline dgodwin

• Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: Really considering a JB3
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 09:45:26 PM »
>>
I'm interested in getting a JB3 and at least trying it out.  From what I've heard, it seems like it's much more worth my while than a Hi-MD.  However, I do have a few questions, and I was hoping that someone could answer them before I make my purchase ...

1) Does the JB3 make its own tracks when recording a weak signal through the line-in?  This is one fature I could never stand about the Sony MDs.

Nope  Not that I've experienced anyways

2) Does the JB3 have different recording options like Manual and Auto ... And can you chose a manual recording level (such as with MD)?  If so, does it remember this or does it revert to a default after you stop recording?

I don't think so.  I use the optical in, and as such, there's no level adjustment at all.  I believe with analog in, there's only manual adjustment. 

3) How easy is it to initiate the recording process with the JB3?

Simple.. Hold the play button in for a few seconds.

4) Is there a noticeable sound-quality difference between the compressed audio of a MD recording and an uncompressed with the JB3?

Noticeable?  No idea.  What do your ears tell you?

5) What is a good way to "hide" this piece of equipment?  I usually take a backpack with me whenever I go to the theatre (which is what I will be using the JB3 for) and I guess I could just put the recorder into my bag and put the bag on my lap during the show.  I like the fact that it looks  lot like a standard CD player -- it will look a lot less conspicuous.  Still, it's not exactly the most compact recorder, so I'm wondering how others hide theirs (especially when sitting).

Stuff it down your pants.  Put the headphones on, and pretend its a cd player.  Give it to your gf/wife (some guys do have these on tapersection.. right?) and have her hide it in her purse. 

6) The FAQ says the JB3 can records for 3 hours in one WAV recording session.  But it can hold a lot more than just 3 hours worth of WAV format audio, right?  This probably sounds like a ridiculously stupid question ... From the FAQ I gather that once I press STOP after recording a 3-hour WAV, I can just hit record and easily get another 3 hours ...

The JB3 has a 20 gig hard drive standard in it.  There's just a wav file limit of 3 hrs.  If you're taping a show that's over 3 hrs long, you'll just have to stop and restart the recording at some point.  It's only supposed to take a couple seconds, but I've never had to do it. 

Thanks all! :-)

Tim

Hope this helps

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 10:06:07 PM »

6) The FAQ says the JB3 can records for 3 hours in one WAV recording session. But it can hold a lot more than just 3 hours worth of WAV format audio, right? This probably sounds like a ridiculously stupid question ... From the FAQ I gather that once I press STOP after recording a 3-hour WAV, I can just hit record and easily get another 3 hours ...

w/ the newest firmware version of 1.40.06, a 'seamless' continuous function works for recording wavs over 3 hrs, especially if youre not near your jb3, you can just let it keep recording if you have enuf mpower, however, if youre near your jb3, you may want to start a new track manually, since when a new track is started, a couple samples are lost, but the easy way around that is, if youre recording for more than 3 hrs continuously and are around your rig, when ya get to thew 2.5 hr or so mark, manually hit the 'next track' button between songs so a new recording is started and samples are only lost inbetween songs rather than inbetween songs :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 11:22:09 PM »
Thanks, guys! :-)

Another question.  Do I really need to add Phantom power to my mics (looking at the SP-CMC-8s or 6s) if I end up using the JB3, or will a simple feed through a low-noise mini preamp be suitable?  Thanks. 

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:56:25 AM »
Thanks, guys! :-)

Another question.  Do I really need to add Phantom power to my mics (looking at the SP-CMC-8s or 6s) if I end up using the JB3, or will a simple feed through a low-noise mini preamp be suitable?  Thanks. 

its not absolutely necessary to add phantom power , however, to fully reach the at mics potential, phantom power is needed.And yes modificating is a word. Assholes. ;D
not really.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 02:12:09 PM »
I've got one for sale if you're looking. Check out the Yard Sale.  ;)
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 06:39:50 PM »
2)Yes, you can adjust level if going line in
3)JB3 defaults to MP3, so you have to set it to WAV first, and eventually adjust level (it doesn't remember). But with 3 hours recording, you can usually start in advance or put in on pause, so it's not a big issue in most cases ...

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »
also I think one of your questions was about adjusting levels:

The big difference I liked was when going analog in, you can adjust the levels while recording so there is no need to stop and start it to adjust like sony MD's. After you stop and start a new recording however it will default to 0, but its not really a problem. You shouldnt really need to adjust it much after the first few minutes because of the 3 hour file space.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com