Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony trouble... buy Sound Professionals in Europe?  (Read 9627 times)

Offline LSD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • LarsDideriksen.com
Sony trouble... buy Sound Professionals in Europe?
« on: June 25, 2005, 05:44:47 PM »
I guess I'm a newbie compared to most you guys here. I hope you can help.

I can't seem to get good results with my Sony ECM-MS907. I was hoping it was the kind of mic that would pick up the sound in a venue much like one's own ears (in lack of a better explanation). But it only seems to pick up sound close to the mic. Hence the live music has to be quite loud, but then still sounds rather "dead" when I listen afterwards (maybe even have had too boost the sound). And noises close by are then loud.

I plug it into "line in" as I figure that would be right now that the mic has it's own battery. Anyway, when I try plugging it into the "mic in" it gets very easily distorted. Simple too loud. No matter what I do.

The mic is nice for home recording guitar and such. But is it simply the wrong mic for recording live music? It seems to me. Or am I doing everything wrong?

I can see that Sound Professionals seems to be "the thing" here. Anywhere one can buy those in Europe? Would like to avoid customs trouble when getting such from the US.

Or should I go out and find something else? Used to have a clip mic years ago. It picked up the venue as it should, although sound quality could be better.

Any of the others Sonys okay? What's with the ECM-DS70P?

Geez, I really need some help here, as you can probably see? I need to record some gigs in August. Hopefully I'll have a good new mic (or know how to use the one I have?!) before then.

Thanks,

L
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 05:59:04 PM by LSD »

Ray76

Re: Sony trouble... buy Sound Professionals in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »
I guess I'm a newbie compared to most you guys here. I hope you can help.

I can't seem to get good results with my Sony ECM-MS907. I was hoping it was the kind of mic that would pick up the sound in a venue much like one's own ears (in lack of a better explanation). But it only seems to pick up sound close to the mic. Hence the live music has to be quite loud, but then still sounds rather "dead" when I listen afterwards (maybe even have had too boost the sound). And noises close by are then loud.

I plug it into "line in" as I figure that would be right now that the mic has it's own battery. Anyway, when I try plugging it into the "mic in" it gets very easily distorted. Simple too loud. No matter what I do.

The mic is nice for home recording guitar and such. But is it simply the wrong mic for bootlegging live shows? It seems to me. Or am I doing everything wrong?

I can see that Sound Professionals seems to be "the thing" here. Anywhere one can buy those in Europe? Would like to avoid customs trouble when getting such from the US.

Or should I go out and find something else? Used to have a clip mic years ago. It picked up the venue as it should, although sound quality could be better.

Any of the others Sonys okay? What's with the ECM-DS70P?

Geez, I really need some help here, as you can probably see? I need to record some gigs in August. Hopefully I'll have a good new mic (or know how to use the one I have?!) before then.

Thanks,

L

1st and foremost, dont refer to Taping(Taperssection.com) as BOOTLEGGING. That word is not used around here, as it implies illegal activity. Sony ecmms907 are basically almost the bottom of the barrel for what we do. They are almost feasible for maybe picking up a lecture, but thats about as far as it goes. I would suggest reading the "where to begin: threads in this forum as well as all the "new to ts.com" threads and after reading all that , then asking more questions. There are many many answers in those threads. Good luck.

Ray

Offline LSD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • LarsDideriksen.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 06:04:25 PM »
Thanks a bunch.

Coming here at first all the many threads and somewhat confusing "tech talk" seem a bit of a mouthful to say the least. From reading what I have been able to find so far (like in the newbie threads) I keep bumping into Sound Professionals....but they can only be ordered from the US? Been googling a lot and checking on eBay. Not much luck so far.

All I want is a mic so I can record a decent live show. Without spending 1000s of dollars.

L

Ray76

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 06:57:14 PM »
Thanks a bunch.

Coming here at first all the many threads and somewhat confusing "tech talk" seem a bit of a mouthful to say the least. From reading what I have been able to find so far (like in the newbie threads) I keep bumping into Sound Professionals....but they can only be ordered from the US? Been googling a lot and checking on eBay. Not much luck so far.

All I want is a mic so I can record a decent live show. Without spending 1000s of dollars.

L

You probably want two mics, to get a stereo recording. what are you recording in to, and which country are you in?>
the sp-cmc-8, sp-cmc-4, and sp-cmc-6 are all mics used here from them.

Ray

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »
Thanks a bunch.

L

By the way, i have a mint condition sp preamp with a set of mics built in that I will sell you cheaper than sp. it is MINT condition.

Ray

Offline LSD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • LarsDideriksen.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 01:01:52 AM »
You probably want two mics, to get a stereo recording. what are you recording in to, and which country are you in?>
the sp-cmc-8, sp-cmc-4, and sp-cmc-6 are all mics used here from them.

I use my minidisc (for now). An older model. Sony MZ-R37.

And I live in Denmark. So any shop within in the European Union would be prefered - to avoid having customs put a lot of fees on the thing.

I've also come across those Core Sound ones. But also only seems to be in the US. Still, Sound Professionals is the way to go? Saw some at $129 (not including shipment). I guess that'll be just about what I'm prepared to spend at the moment. Hmm...

Thanks.

L
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 01:04:00 AM by LSD »

Offline LSD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • LarsDideriksen.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 01:05:48 AM »
By the way, i have a mint condition sp preamp with a set of mics built in that I will sell you cheaper than sp. it is MINT condition.

Oh? Interesting. Got more info on those? :-)

L

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 04:47:16 AM »
If you want a small mic for stealth recording I think Core sound Cardioids is a good choice.They are much cheaper than SP and just as good,if not any better.
I would go out and spent that $ 250 on this set:

http://www.core-sound.com/cardioid.html

Now Len(the owner)is not the easiest guy to deal with....see this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=44551.0

If you buy them ask Len to lower the value(let him write they are the cheaper version sor something like that).I am sure he will do that to make sure you avoid paying duties.And you may have to pay duties but what is some extra money if you have a great pair of mic's???Buy something cheaper and it will sound horrible.

But fact is I have heard a lot of diferent mic's(Including SP)and IMO this mic beats them all in terms of directness and clearnes.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 04:48:52 AM by Ekib »
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 05:41:47 AM »

Oh? Interesting. Got more info on those? :-)

L

Yeah, it basically can be used as a preamp alone , or with the mics built in . It is the same thing as the sound professionals preamp that folks here use, except it has some mics built in. At any rate it is a HUGE step above the sony ecm907 mic you are using. I will let go of it for 135, and later on if you dont like the mics built in, you can get some SP mics to plug into it, and you will have a decent beginner setup. 140 shipped to Denmark.I am in Europe too, Germany.

Ray

Offline LSD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • LarsDideriksen.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 11:59:43 AM »
Thanks a lot, both of you!

Ray, mics built in? Right...I feel like a beginner, ha-ha. Do you have a link for somewhere on the net where I can read more about that particular mic/pre-amp? Or just the model name etc., so I can search myself?

Danke schön,

Lars

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 12:37:48 PM »
For made in europe stealth mics try googling "OKM microphones"  they are in-ear mics that look like headphones, they use sennheiser elements.  BTW they sound really nice if you get the studio rock version

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline kuba

• Taperssection Regular
  • king of snake
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 01:57:06 PM »
I don't know about any European SounPro retailers but there are some Audio-Technica resellers (visit their site for more info). Their AT831b, AT853a or AT853Rx are the mics you're probably looking for  ;)
AT831 > bb > iRiver H120

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »
Thanks a lot, both of you!

Ray, mics built in? Right...I feel like a beginner, ha-ha. Do you have a link for somewhere on the net where I can read more about that particular mic/pre-amp? Or just the model name etc., so I can search myself?

Danke schön,

Lars

go to www.soundprofessionals.com and type in SP-PASM-2 in the search field.

Ray

Offline LSD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • LarsDideriksen.com
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 05:38:39 AM »

Wow, that's an odd-looking fella. :-) Mic's on the sides? I though one would have something direct at the stage too?

How does one hold just a thing in a crowd? Need extra equipment? Or is it necessary to have a stand and put it somewhere around the soundboard if it's not too far in the back? After all, clip-mics have.....clips. :-)

Uhm, thanks for all your help, guys. Much appreciated. I've come across this place:

www.okmusic.de

Maybe some of these?
audio-technica Mikrofon AT829aW (Info) 54,90 (missing something at that price?)
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831b (Info) 179,00
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831R (Info) 195,00

And there are also these...
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831cb (Info) 99,00
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831aW (Info) 109,00
audio-technica Mikrofon PRO45 (Info) 99,95

Also a AT831R Miniatur-Kondensatormic at this place at 195 Euro...
http://www.soundland.de/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/97116110/products_id/215984?osCsid=3dcfd4a8076e0ea38b043b8624a40d7f

Yeah, 200 Euro is uhm, about as much as I can pay right now. A bit steep for me actually. But for that price I've got it all, right? I can just plug it in to my minidisc and press REC?

L

Ray76

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 07:21:36 AM »

Wow, that's an odd-looking fella. :-) Mic's on the sides? I though one would have something direct at the stage too?

How does one hold just a thing in a crowd? Need extra equipment? Or is it necessary to have a stand and put it somewhere around the soundboard if it's not too far in the back? After all, clip-mics have.....clips. :-)

Uhm, thanks for all your help, guys. Much appreciated. I've come across this place:

www.okmusic.de

Maybe some of these?
audio-technica Mikrofon AT829aW (Info) 54,90 (missing something at that price?)
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831b (Info) 179,00
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831R (Info) 195,00

And there are also these...
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831cb (Info) 99,00
audio-technica Mikrofon AT831aW (Info) 109,00
audio-technica Mikrofon PRO45 (Info) 99,95

Also a AT831R Miniatur-Kondensatormic at this place at 195 Euro...
http://www.soundland.de/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/97116110/products_id/215984?osCsid=3dcfd4a8076e0ea38b043b8624a40d7f

Yeah, 200 Euro is uhm, about as much as I can pay right now. A bit steep for me actually. But for that price I've got it all, right? I can just plug it in to my minidisc and press REC?

L

the mics are omni mics, meanig they have a 360 degree area around them, so no, you dont have to point them at the stage. Honesly, you need a preamp to plug those mics into, im not just saying that. if you want something from SP, I can order you something. Get some at mics from there, one of their preamps, and you will be good to go. I have the preamp for you, just get some mics from them. I will order for you to save you tax and import costs.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com