Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Basic Tweaks for the toshiba sd4960...interesting...  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Basic Tweaks for the toshiba sd4960...interesting...
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 10:24:11 PM »
I notice this on lots of boards.  No one that has already spent the XXXX (possibly XXXXX) will ever believe that a modded unit can SOUND as good as a more pricey unit stock.  The stock pricey units have about half of the money invested in the fancy steal faceplate, leaving very little for the innards...IMO.    I think Scott may be surprised with what he would hear.  To prove it, I am happy to lend my modded 4960 (as soon as I replace the clock) out!

Trey W. has one of the units I modded awhile back, is he around?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »
he is around. This unit sounds excellent to me, I do not have the list of the mods performed to my particular unit, but it sounds just great. I must comment to say that I have nothing to use for comparisons sake as I have never owned any other sacd players. I use it mainly for sacd playback. The only bad thing about this unit is the remote and it really sucks
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 09:58:16 AM »
The only bad thing about this unit is the remote and it really sucks

And you're dead in the water without it!

A good learning universal would be a corrective measure that would not leave you dead in the water ;D

I'm getting an iPaq this week and hope to train the IR remote to all my stuff!
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »
Everyone mentions the audio this and that about these players.  Yes, send over a modded unit, I want to hear it!  We are planning a gtg in the fall. 

The article also mentions the video side.  If I'm buying a DVD player, I'm not going to just use it for audio reasons.  The Secrets benchmark tests show the 3960 at a 73 and 4960 at 69 (out of 100).  Yes, this is a torture test for a DVD player, but I don't see how the mods will change the video side.

Don't these also have some quirks to them?  I remember a thread about cutting off a second or two when skipping around.

I'm all for budget gear, but when people mention that a unit will compete with something 10x the price, I don't buy it.  If they were to say 3x, that is different. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 07:25:35 PM »
I could care less about video, and really don't give it any thought at all when reading this forum... I forget that video is a main focus for you

just curious, thanks...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 10:16:16 PM »
I can't remember the last time I watched a dvd that wasn't some hobby concert footage.  Scott, I want to get the one I am currently working on to a point that it MAY compete with yours before it makes its run to your place.  Shit, I might as well come and bring a bunch of modded stuff, though I doubt the speakers want to make the ride but who knows ;)
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 10:27:40 PM »
Scott,

This link and its claims are for you! :P
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Tosh_Samsung_4960_HD-841&Category_Code=MODS

That said, I have done most of everything they are talking about in my current player minus the clock.  I am looking for clock alternatives, as I really don't want to spend 300 clams.

D---------

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 10:29:41 PM »
d - did you ever add sand or some weight to your 4960? I put a book on there today to try and add some weight... any thoughts?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 08:03:37 AM »
I can't remember the last time I watched a dvd that wasn't some hobby concert footage.  Scott, I want to get the one I am currently working on to a point that it MAY compete with yours before it makes its run to your place.  Shit, I might as well come and bring a bunch of modded stuff, though I doubt the speakers want to make the ride but who knows ;)

Sounds good.  I checked out your link and while the audio mods are impressive, I don't se them doing anything to the video portion.  Heck, for my system in the living room, I'd think about one of these players and have it sent to you for modding.  This system won't happen until this winter though.  I'm looking for your Panasonic XR receivers right now.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 08:57:49 AM »
Without hesitation, I would put my DVD player up against this thing!  It says it performs as good as DVD player costing 10X as much.  I'll believe it when I see it!  I'm sure the mods make it a better player, but equal to a $1500 player....please ::)

I'm ready to put mine up against a fucking dumpster with the remote (also a total POS)  w/ a free sign on it.  Mine is a total POS, and can't even play a redbook CD correctly... and that technology is only about 20 years old now...   ::)

This unit is truly one of the weakest things I've purchased in a long time.  To me, its completely ridiculous to have mine hooked up to the amp I have, only to have it not be able to go between tracks flawlessly.  A frickin generic discman from a pharmacy would do that no problem.

"Oh this player sounds awesome... it just skips between tracks a little bit..."   ::)

I'll admit that it could just be my particular unit, but to me, that just reflects on the qc of the comany itself.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 09:08:39 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 11:26:02 AM »
I would expect any of the power supply mods to improve the video performance.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the transport mods are best for CD playback.  Has anyone heard an improvement with data disc playback (DVD formatted disks) as a result of transport mods?

One thing that people always forget about when evaluating the expense of doing mods is the cost of labor.  Depending on what your working hourly rate is, doing mods can be very expensive. If you bill out your time at $50/hr, then spending 10 hours for research, procurement, and actual modifications will increase the cost of the mods beyond what one would pay for a higher end player.  And for those that are into trading up every so often, that labor cost is lost in addition to fact that a user modded unit has little appeal on the used market compared to a well reviewed higher cost player in stock condition. 

It isn't a bargain to spend $400 on parts and $500 on labor to raise a $60 player to a point that it "competes favorably" with a highend unit that can be had used for the same money and has better resale value.  If you don't place a high value your time or if you are doing the mods as a hobby, then maybe it doesn't matter.   But for most people who are not doing mods as a hobby, I would think that their time and money is better spent buying a high end player and just being happy with the $60 player for what it is.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 11:29:27 AM »
I get the impression that most people who perform these mods do so as a hobby.... that is they derive some enjoyment from tinkering with these projects. that's why my 3960 is unmodded, I have no interest in tinkering around with electronics :)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 11:55:14 AM »
I would expect any of the power supply mods to improve the video performance.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the transport mods are best for CD playback.  Has anyone heard an improvement with data disc playback (DVD formatted disks) as a result of transport mods?

One thing that people always forget about when evaluating the expense of doing mods is the cost of labor.  Depending on what your working hourly rate is, doing mods can be very expensive. If you bill out your time at $50/hr, then spending 10 hours for research, procurement, and actual modifications will increase the cost of the mods beyond what one would pay for a higher end player.  And for those that are into trading up every so often, that labor cost is lost in addition to fact that a user modded unit has little appeal on the used market compared to a well reviewed higher cost player in stock condition. 

It isn't a bargain to spend $400 on parts and $500 on labor to raise a $60 player to a point that it "competes favorably" with a highend unit that can be had used for the same money and has better resale value.  If you don't place a high value your time or if you are doing the mods as a hobby, then maybe it doesn't matter.   But for most people who are not doing mods as a hobby, I would think that their time and money is better spent buying a high end player and just being happy with the $60 player for what it is.

While the power supply mod would help the video, it still runs through the cheap Toshiba deinterlacer.  You aren't replacing it with the latest Faroudja 2310, SI504, or the Realta chip.  It won't unscale the DVD to 720P or 1080i and has no HDMI out.  IMO this player should only be used for audio.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 10:45:50 AM »
OK, replying all at once.  I do not watch much on DVD, as I have directtv and every channel the offer.  That said, what little I have watched showed a marked improvement post mod.  I don't really have anything to guage it against, so I wouldn't want to pass judgement.

Tim, my 4960 sits on top of mapleshade virbation pads, and I did notice an improvement.  I also have added vibation reduction to the chassis as well as internal dampening, so that surely had quite a bit to do with it.  I have not added weight to the 4960, but I do have weight on everything else and in general, my ears tell me I hear a difference, so I would definately try it out and see.  A bag of sand or lead shot works, and if you are wanting something astetically pleasing, there are commercial options as well. 

As far as the cost of labor...if I for example were to get paid my "hourly" rate for mods I would lose my shirt to say the least.  I do it simply for something to do at night in between study breaks, baseball, etc.  I don't consider that work, nor do I consider mods work.  The biggest thing I see is that if I put 10 hours into something, then that was 10 hours I didn't spend doing nothing or sitting on the couch smoking weed or whatnot.  I wasn't going to be making any money in those 10 hours, so why would it matter what my rate is while I am at work, that areguement to me seems flawed.  Now, if I had kids, wife, and all that other stuff, my time may be more valuable. 

That said, how is modding and your "hourly" rate any different from those that build decks, and all that other stuff that i wouldn't have a clue about on the weekend...I call them Home Depot warriors.  You know, the people that actually know how to find something in the big box.  Assuming the same holds true, they would lose their shirts as well if they are making decent money.  It isn't about money in the end.  If I spend 300 bucks in parts, 3 hours of my time, and it sounds like 1000, I saved 700 IMHO, as my time after work isn't worth a damned thing if it is something I want to be doing and will get some personal pride, fufillment, and enjoyment and can share the experience with others...priceless!

I think I got to everything.  I will keep you all posted as I keep on tinkering.

In other news, I am building a rack out of mdf and putting a shiny piano black finish on it.  I am in week one of working on what will probably take a month to complete.  I wonder what that would cost me in hourly wages?

Daryan

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »
thanks D - I''m going to add a law school text this morning (plenty of surface area for even weight distribution), doesn't have to be aestethically pleasing for now... we'll see what I think

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com