Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver 700 & 800 Series Flash Players/Recorders  (Read 1748 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
iRiver 700 & 800 Series Flash Players/Recorders
« on: August 17, 2005, 03:57:45 PM »
Alright, first off, I'm new to this forum, and a total newbie when it comes to audio (much more knowledgeable about video, but I digress)...

That said, and I understand that the folks around here are all about lossless recording formats, but I was still kind of surprised to see virtually zero posts about the 700 and 800 series iRiver flash players. I'm interested in purchasing one of these devices for multiple uses, recording being one of them. Of the small flash-based player/recorders, as far as I can tell, this is really the only one out there with all of these features built-in: (1) switchable mic or line level recording, (2) ability to set recording levels (not during recording, and no levels are displayed during recording either, but you can adjust the input level), and (3) the ability to encode up to 320 kpbs MP3 on-the-fly. Now yes, this isn't a replacement for a high-end setup, and yes not being able to see/adjust levels while recording sucks, and yes MP3 is no WAV, BUT... Those are still some pretty impressive functions for a $100 flash player/recorder.

So, has anyone around here ever recorded anything using one of these things? Music or speech? Do you have any opinions about them? Are there any other alternatives available in this category (flash-based, small, cheap)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: iRiver 700 & 800 Series Flash Players/Recorders
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 05:37:53 PM »
I recorded lectures for a year on an older iRiver flash player. I recorded as low rate mp3s and they worked fine for that, but I think they would suck for music. Of course if you're planning on only listening to your recordings as mp3s on one of these mp3 players, then it would probably be fine for recording concerts. Since I listen to most recordings while in my car or occasionally at home, I'd rather spend $50 more and get something capable of making 16 bit wav recordings.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com